Most hurtful loss

AUfan1985

I was having a conversation with a friend and we were discussing what the worst loss over the past 5 seasons was for the Tigers. In other words, which one stung the most. I had to vote for losing to those pukes from Atlanta to open up this season. Not only did they end our 15 game winning streak, but their fair weathered fans gloated about it afterwards.

What do you all think?

(On a positive note, go kick some Badger ass Tigers!)

(not in order)

1. The Ole Miss game when Ben dropped the TD after setting us up. I hated it for :au: and Ben.

2. The UGA game when Greene hit the receiver in the back of the endzone on 4th and long.

3. The LSU game this season. Hated to see :au: go down like that after playing so good in so many other aspects of the game. Brandon showed the AU Nation his come back abilities, however.

4. The 31-7 loss to Bama in Auburn. Enough said.

(not in order)

1. The Ole Miss game when Ben dropped the TD after setting us up.  I hated it for  :au: and Ben.

2. The UGA game when Greene hit the receiver in the back of the endzone on 4th and long.

3. The LSU game this season.  Hated to see  :au: go down like that after playing so good in so many other aspects of the game.  Brandon showed the AU Nation his come back abilities, however.

205499[/snapback]

I've only thrown up three times after a game.

The Van Tiffin kick.

The LSU earthquake game.

The loss to Ole Miss in 2003.

This thread stinks.

Yeah 31-7 Bama loss. Nothing hurts like that.

My 2nd, however, would be losing to USC the year they came to Auburn. I often wonder how our media position would be different right now had we won that one.

Yeah 31-7 Bama loss.  Nothing hurts like that.

My 2nd, however, would be losing to USC the year they came to Auburn.  I often wonder how our media position would be different right now had we won that one.

205503[/snapback]

CircleDrill is correct, and that is a very astute observation.

Aside from that, I thought I was going to die from a heatstroke at that USC game in Auburn. When we went to Cali, I almost died because I spilled a beer on some huge Notorious B.I.G.-lookin' dude. I've never been so sincerely apologetic in my life.

Worst loss I remember was not a loss. It was a tie. UGA '94. We were 20-0 and they tied us. It was a night game and they acted like they had won the natn't c-ship. They weren't very good and we'd gotten soooo used to winning.

Sad. Sad.

The Earthquake loss at LSU. If Hodson doesn't complete that pass, we play Notre Dame for the MNC--and would have won.

Dye's big chance. He admitted that he got too conservative when he got a lead.

Worst loss over the last 5 years:

31-7 loss to Bama in Auburn

The Auburn vs. Bama game where I had to sit in the Bama Section (see above)

The Auburn vs. Bama game where I had to sit next to the Bama Band in the middle of thousands of rednecks screaming that irritating Rammer Lama Ding Dong (whatever it is?)Song (see above)

The only Auburn Game where I was compelled to leave before the final tick of the clock (see above)

The only game where I had to hand my head in shame after enduring our butt whipping among thousands of dark pink clad fans screaming their Yella Hamma chant with the Million Peso band blasting in my right ear.

It has taken four years of Domination therapy to get over that nightmare. I think I may be cured after about 10 more years of the same therapy

02 UGA was rough

03 Ole Miss was the worst in person

99 MSU, that game will always be in the back of my mind, up 16-3 in the 4th and then AU just collapsed, Jackie and his band of comeback pups win 18-16, friend was a big UK fan at the time and the Dawgs got the Kats later on that season.

1999 Iron Bowl - Shaun Alexander just scored again - UA wins in Auburn for 1st time ever

1994 Iron Bowl - Refs jip Frank Sanders of a 1st down - AU loses 21-14

1992 Georgia - Refs fail to spot the ball after a White keeper. AU loses heartbreaker.

Arkansas 2002.  What did they have, like 11,000 yards rushing?

:nanner:   :au:   :nanner:

205502[/snapback]

After this game, I wanted CTT fired. 38-17. Definitely the worst loss of the Tuberville era. The following game reinforced my hatred of Tuberville, as Tubs fakes a punt out of his endzone and loses by 7 to Florida.

Thank goodness, CTT has since redeemed himself and IMO can be at AU as long as he desires.

Arkansas 2002. Had friends from Fayetteville in town and it was hotter than 400 hells at the ballgame. We could do no right and they could do NO wrong. Luckily none of us talk smack. That may be the most I have ever drank at one time.

I agree with Galen....This thread sux! :(

screw it. I had a long list of pain and humiliation all layed out, ready to play along.

It's Christmas!

We beat bama , 4 in a row!

I REFUSE to be humbled !

:au: WDE!!!

( ok, there was that one little red headed girl. she knows who she is. she'll remain my most hurtful loss - always. )

31-7, iron bowl, in auburn.

Amen. No doubt about it. There really can't be another #1. I'd put 2005 LSU #2 because of they way AU lost it (i.e., all those drops and missed FGs). I guess Ole Miss 2003 would be #3.

2002 UGA hurt, but I left the game encouraged by the way AU went toe-to-toe with a UGA team that I thought (at least before the game) was clearly superior. This year's Tech loss was disappointing, but I left that one thinking (a) rookie mistakes aside, this Cox kid can play; and ( B) let's see where these teams are in a month or two . . . B) The 2003 Tech loss in Atlanta was far more disappointing to me - if we get a #4, that's probably mine.

(not in order)

1. The Ole Miss game when Ben dropped the TD after setting us up.  I hated it for  :au: and Ben.

3. The LSU game this season.  Hated to see  :au: go down like that after playing so good in so many other aspects of the game.  Brandon showed the AU Nation his come back abilities, however.

205499[/snapback]

AMEN on that top 4!

PLUS GETTING SHUTOUT AGAINST USC..I WAS TALKING ALL KINDS OF SMACK DEFENDING THEIR PRESEASON RANKING HERE IN OKLAHOMA THEN CAME THE GAME! :puke::puke::puke::puke::puke:

This is a pretty rough thread.

In the past five years, I have to agree with the 31-7 loss in the Iron Bowl, the 2002 UGA game and the 2003 Ole Miss game and this year's LSU game.

If I can go back a few years, I'd say the the worst game I've ever been to was the 1996 Outback Bowl. It was Auburn's first bowl game since the 1990 Peach, and Auburn had a pretty good regular seaon, going 8-3 and beating Bama. We were all excited about going to a bowl game and drove down to Tampa. What we saw was just ridiculous. Penn State completly dominated us, with a final score of 43-14. To make matters worse, it absolutely poured rain the whole time. I have read that it rained six inches that day. Then that LLOOOONNNNNGGGGG ride back to the Plains.

( ok, there was that one little red headed girl. she knows who she is.  she'll remain my most hurtful loss - always. )

205559[/snapback]

ouch. i have a smiliar story. i feel for ya bubba.

2001 Bama - of course, i've never been so fighting mad in my entire life. cancelled all post-game and sunday plans and drove 8 hours straight immediately after the game all the way back to Kentucky. i know God was embarrassed of me af

1997 MSU @ Auburn - i think it was 17-0. dameyune and the offense was utterly pathetic. never, ever, ever had i seen us so inept on offense. however, the dogs did help us out by losing in nov. so we could win the West.

Yeah 31-7 Bama loss.  Nothing hurts like that.

My 2nd, however, would be losing to USC the year they came to Auburn.  I often wonder how our media position would be different right now had we won that one.

205503[/snapback]

CircleDrill is correct, and that is a very astute observation.

Aside from that, I thought I was going to die from a heatstroke at that USC game in Auburn. When we went to Cali, I almost died because I spilled a beer on some huge Notorious B.I.G.-lookin' dude. I've never been so sincerely apologetic in my life.

205514[/snapback]

I am about half convinced that that one cost us a national championship shot last year.

If you went to Tiger Walk at the USC game in Cali, I was the band TA desperately trying to explain to the security people that it was not a riot and the police did not have to break it up. The guy grabbed me and was screaming "You gotta get these people out of here!" They had no clue what real football and Tiger Walk was all about.

The BEST was when the Cali Highway Patrol car tried to drive through Tiger Walk and the AU fans were chanting "OJ did it.....OJ did it......" at him! HAHAHA.

Last 5 years:

The '01 Alabama loss was the most hurtful...that was just embarrassing to watch. Home loss to a 4-5 team when a win would have clinched the SEC West in addition to more bragging rights. If our football team that day was a car, we'd have had 4 flat tires and been 3 quarts low on oil.

'05 LSU, '03 Ole Miss and '02 Georgia were aggravating heartbreakers, but we didn't completely crap the bed like we did against Alabama.

1. 2003 USC

2. 2001 Bama

3. 2002 Florida

4. 2002 Uga

5. 2005 LSU

6. 2003 GT

7. 2002 USC

8. 2005 GT

9. 2003 UM

10. 2003 LSU

I've never looked forward to a game like I did the 2003 USC game and have never been that disappointed-I believe that team to have the most starting talent as any team that has passed through AU and we couldn't even get a first down on a Pac 10 defense. I still get mad thinking about that game.

i agree Erik. outside of every Bama & LSU game, i don't think i could've been more excited than i was for the USC game in 2003. that was my first game actually having season tickets and i was pumped. freakin A.

1984 UAT. We had a VASTLY superior team and played like a bunch of brodies.

Paul Ott Carruth ran for 200,000 yards that day. :(

1984 UAT. We had a VASTLY superior team and played like a bunch of brodies.

Paul Ott Carruth ran for 200,000 yards that day. :(

205653[/snapback]

Thanks for stretching back beyond 1999. I was starting to feel like a dinosaur.

Honestly? The worst loss ever was probably to Alabama in 1971. Pat Sullivan had just won the Heisman. Auburn was in a position to change the national perception and prevent the Bear Bryant express from gathering steam (or at least slow it down tremendously). Auburn was undefeated. Alabama was undefeated. The stage belonged to Auburn. A win would have given the Tigers the SEC championship and a legitimate chance to win the national championship -- and perhaps change the course of the decade to come.

Instead, with the entire nation watching, Johnny Musso ran for 1,456,209 yards, Sullivan looked like the kid in A Christmas Story asking "football? what's a football?" and Auburn was demoralized 31-7.

In terms of national stature, recruiting and perception, no single loss has ever had a more lasting effect than that one. It set the tone for the nine-year Bama run that was to come. To this day, I believe that if Auburn had won that game everything that came after it would have been vastly different.

I can only assume that the vast majority of posters here weren't born at that time. Bumps in the road against teams like Arkansas pale in comparison.

Archived