Herring to LB and other stories

DKW 86

Sounds good he will be out biggest linebacker and it should answer the questions on how Tristan Davis is going to get on the feild and add speed to the secoundary.

:cheer: 2006 Defense :thumbsup:

Some folks have made a cottage industry out of Herring bashing over the years. All Will has done is start for three years and finish in the top three in tackles EVERY one of those years. Wherever they put him on the field, I am PROUD that he is a TIGER! :au::cheer:

Yeah, but Tim, Will was getting abused on fly patterns - he's much better at stopping the run than the pass. He does have a knack for making huge plays in games (INT in '03 Bama game sealed it). He's got a great head on his shoulders as a darned good high school quarterback (Opelika) and can learn LB easily.

Tristan Davis and David Irons in the secondary? Speed kills.. wow.

I for one am glad Herring is at LB....this is one hard-nosed player that needs to be at this position. He just missed to many coverages and at times....to slow of a player to keep up with the coverages....I think this move will be a good one that fits him.

I am with many who think this move could be a great one, Will has a nose for the ball and should serve us well at LB.

As good as he is on run blitzes, creeping up near the line to load the box and so on, combined with Muschamp's penchant for firing blitzes from every conceivable angle at opponents, I think this could be an excellent move.

Guest Tigrinum Major

I predicted this move right after the season ended. This was a good move for Karlos Dansby his senior year and I think it will be a great move for Herring. Not that he is the same athlete that Dansby was (that guy was amazing), but I think he will be a good one.

Just read the article in the O/A News. I figured this was coming also. We have lots of depth in the secondary, but what only 2 (Dede and Sears) with any significant playing time at LB. WH will add some experience to the LB group and give some very talented guys (Davis and Ferguson) the chance to get into the starting lineup. I like this move.....adds lots of speed to the secondary and a sure tackler at LB.

O/A News article

Hmmmmm, dont neccesarily know If i agree with this move. Can he be a good LB.....well im sure. However, we have so much talent moving up at the linebacker position that we shouldnt hold them back. Ex: Blackmon, need i say more.

i'm with awk. you don't lose your best safety to give yourself a decent linebacker. will was all-conference at his spot last year so unless the backup can turn that trick, it's a drop-off, and i think will can learn to play linebacker. it's just gonna be hard to do in one year.

Speed and tackling ability will not be a concern for Will at LB, but can he shed the blocks of OLs and FBs when he has never done it consistently. Last season :au: 's small LBs had trouble shedding blocks, and I have to wonder if the lesson was learned.

Speaking of safeties, I saw somewhere that Tony Bell is gone. Don't think I'm supposed to link it but it basically said, "Tony Bell is no longer with the team." says Tubs. Did the guy have an attitude problem, or did he just not like AU that much. I just remember falling out when he signed with AU because he was one of the top defensive players in the nation and now this, sad. :(

Seeing as Herring will be playing Strong side and Blackmon will be playing weakside holding back talent is not as concern. Thats like saying "we shouldn't move Gabe MacKenzie to DT because it would mess up the up and coming Alonzo Horton"... I don't see any downside to this even if Herring move back to safety before the fall. He's not gonna forget how to be a FS. If he does light it up at LB then we have incredible Outside backers (Herring, Blackmon, Merril Johnson) and Karibi Dede on the inside. Herring just seemed too slow for the secondary but a very good tackler.

One thing to remember from any/all of this is that CTT even alluded to the fact that Will may move back after the spring. He is giving guys like Davis and Ferguson a chance to step up and giving Will a shot at the NFL possibly as a Line Backer. If either or neither works, then he moves back to safety and also takes away enough to fill in at LB if any injuries occur during the season.

I think the same goes for Browder at DT for the spring. Not having Greg Smith for the spring practices coupled with the attrition/injuries at the tackle spots made them realize they should get some quality experience for an option B if necessary in season.

I am looking forward to seeing what Josh Thompson and Greg Smith can do as a starting pair, which is where I believe they will be. Then, Pat Sims is still unknown and Tez Doolittle has been injury prone. Marks and McCain I believe will be good backups, but they wouldn't be able to handle 30-40 snaps each if something happened to the starters.

Maybe CTT and staff are just trying to find ways to get the talented guys AND the leaders on the field, I don't know, I'll ask him at church on Sunday. Starting LBs could be Dede, Sears, and Herring??? But there is also Johnson, Evans, and Blackmon. The secondary is loaded with some talent, Gilbert, Gandy, Pitts, Irons, Brock, Davis, Ferguson, Lee, Savage. Maybe Muschamps wants to see what everybody can do?? I know come Sept 2 that we will line up our best 11 on D to shut down the Cougars.

Will has the intangibles. He has a good head and nose for the ball.

I'll admit getting sore at him in '04 for biting in the SECCG and also against VT, but he is a winner. Deflecting the pass in the end zone in the uat game was a goody.

It takes more than just raw speed to play safety. A mistake by a safety is usually more serious than LB. Tristan may work out O.K., but it's tricky.

Tubs is quoted as saying that Will crept up a lot and "essentially played linebacker 25% of the time anyway".

We'll just have to wait and see.

Can't wait to see how Muschamp works out--bet we'll be pleased,

Archived