My Over-Simplified Proposal

Hearing that the SEC now is trying to take charge of individual schedules really annoys me so I devised a plan…….

We tell the commissioner to bug off and formally declare independence from the SEC.

We then go and round up 11 other schools and form our own conference.

That marks the beginning of the…

Deep South Conference

DIV. A..............DIV. B

Alabama.............Auburn

Florida $tate.......Georgia Tech

Florida................Georgia

Tennessee..........LSU

South Carolina....Clemson

Ole Miss..............Mississippi State

Scheduling would work the same as it does now, with playing all the teams in the same column every year, with one permanent 'rival' from the other division (in the same row) and two other teams which rotate (like the SEC currently)

The SEC would lose eight teams and probably do one of the following:

1) Fold up shop and disappear into oblivion

2) Raid the Big East

3) Raid Conference USA

When it’s said and done, the ACC loses GT, Clemson, and F$U, who all wanted out before the ACC expanded to 12 teams because of the tobacco road schools who run the conference (UNC, Duke, Wake Forest, NC State). The ACC then raids the Big East in the middle of the night (again) and steals three more schools to fill their open slots.

This of course is the oversimplified version leaving out bowl bids, money, other complications, etc….

What do you think?

Where do I sign up!? :D

:au::homer:

Guest Tigrinum Major

No, sir, I don't like it.

Money talks and the SEC controls a large portion of it.

Nice fantasy maybe, but don't get your hopes up. The last time something this radical was attempted, all hell broke loose.

ftsumter.jpg

Where do I sign up!? :D

:au:   :homer:

236510[/snapback]

I thought about that, but I couldnt think of any one that would be a better fit- Troy?

236524[/snapback]

UAB...then UAT wouldn't want any part of it..... :lol:

No way any of the ACC schools leave after the conference fought like hell to become a football power. Their is no incentive for the three to make a lateral move. If the SEC is to ever rearrange itself, the only logical choices geographically are Southern Miss, Louisville, UCF, Memphis, West Virginia, Tulane, USF, Troy and UAB. I can only see maybe three of those schools being seriously considered as an SEC caliber sports program. Also, as we all know, the SEC is a very tradition-rich conference with classy uniforms for the most part. Alot of the schools left for picking in the south are upstarts with ugly uniforms that don't fit the SEC profile. I don't see any major realignments happening for a while.

HOw about UAT and Hawaii play 12 staright games for the MNC!!!??? :au::homer:

HOw about UAT and Hawaii play 12 staright games for the MNC!!!??? :au:   :homer:

236641[/snapback]

:roflol::roflol::roflol:

I'm waiting for the Sports Illustrated cover praising Uat after this game next fall.

No way.

The only thing that would upgrade the SEC would be to expatriate Vandy and replace them with a public institution that actually has an athletic department, and actually contributes to the conference financially. Vandy is drooling at the prospect of getting their annual welfare check in SanDestin next week. (Who do they even send to the annual meetings besides their president - they don't even have an AD. They probably do it on the cheap - just send one guy down to get the check, and run back to Nashvegas like you stole something, cause in a way, you did).

Who would replace Vandy? Unless Auburn moved to the east, which would create an imbalance between the divisions, it would have to be a team from east of I-65 roughly. So, no Texas or A&M, and Memphis and USM are not a big enough improvement over Vandy anyway. Louisville would have made some sense until they went to the Big East - they have quality facitilites and support, and are a natural rival of one of the existing schools. Likewise, FSU would make sense as well, except they made it clear last decade that they don't want to play an SEC football schedule.

There is one other public school who is an in-state rival of an existing SEC team, and who doesn't really seem to fit-in with their conference anymore. (Again, only talking about upgrading from Vandy)................

Archived