No immigration bill

TexasTiger

Repugs control all branches of government and still are incapable of governing.

By DAVID ESPO AP Special Correspondent

WASHINGTON Jun 20, 2006 (AP)— In a defeat for President Bush, Republican congressional leaders said Tuesday that broad immigration legislation is all but doomed for the year, a victim of election-year concerns in the House and conservatives' implacable opposition to citizenship for millions of illegal immigrants.

"Our number one priority is to secure the border, and right now I haven't heard a lot of pressure to have a path to citizenship," said Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., announcing plans for an unusual series of hearings to begin in August on Senate-passed immigration legislation.

"I think it is easy to say the first priority of the House is to secure the borders," added Rep. Roy Blunt, the GOP whip.

In deference to the president, neither Hastert nor any other Republican official in either house said publicly that the president's ambitious plan including a guest worker program as well as an opportunity for citizenship for many illegal immigrants was dead for the year.

But several Republicans in both houses, speaking on condition of anonymity, were less guarded.

"There will be no path to citizenship," said one lawmaker who attended a strategy session in Hastert's office.

Some officials added that Republicans have begun discussing a pre-election strategy for seizing the political high ground on an issue that so far has served to highlight divisions within the party. Among the possibilities, these officials said, are holding votes in the House or Senate this fall on additional measures to secure the borders, or on legislation that would prevent illegal immigrants from receiving Social Security payments or other government benefits.

"The discussion is how to put the Democrats in a box without attacking the president," said one aide, speaking on condition of anonymity.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=2099633

It is sad.

It reminds me of why I stopped being a Democrat after the Carter years. The Democrats were in control of the House, Senate, and the Presidency and could not do anything. Now we have the Republican version of the same thing.

I said this same thing about a week ago.

http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=25681

I'm not one of those that thinks any bill is better than nothing. In this instance, the Senate-passed bill didn't even garner a majority of Republicans (only 23 of 55 voted for it.) Legalizing 12 million illegals already in the country seems to be a sticking point with most. Count me in with the group that thinks amnesty on a broad scale is a bad idea.

Speaker Hastert is just being realistic about saying an immigration bill isn't going to happen this year. At least they will be holding hearings on the topic in August. That way the issue can be debated publicly and we'll see where everyone stands right before the fall elections. :D

I'm not one of those that thinks any bill is better than nothing.  In this instance, the Senate-passed bill didn't even garner a majority of Republicans (only 23 of 55 voted for it.)  Legalizing 12 million illegals already in the country seems to be a sticking point with most.  Count me in with the group that thinks amnesty on a broad scale is a bad idea. 

Speaker Hastert is just being realistic about saying an immigration bill isn't going to happen this year.  At least they will be holding hearings on the topic in August.  That way the issue can be debated publicly and we'll see where everyone stands right before the fall elections.  :D

242146[/snapback]

Okay, but it shouldn't be so hard just to pass a resolution that the executive branch should enforce the laws already on the books.

Passing a bad bill simply for the sake of doing SOMETHING is never a good way of running things. The bill that was presented was a train wreck, and I'm glad it wasn't passed.

Screw this 'comprehensive' mindset. Close the border FIRST.

1) Bush isnt closing the border.

2) This was the issue for the Reps this year and they once again blew it.

3) Maybe, just maybe, we will finally get a Third Party in US Politics.

1) Bush isnt closing the border.

2) This was the issue for the Reps this year and they oncwe again blew it.

3) Maybe, just maybe, we will finally get a Third Party in US Politics.

242180[/snapback]

Wouldn't count on that 3rd party thing.

Once again we could not get someone to pass a bill dealing just with the border and then address immigration later.

As for enforcing the current laws on the books, more money is needed and no money will be allocated without a bill.

But at least the repubs are listening now to their constituents. Most everyone wants no amnesty. I do not understand why Bush contends that it is doable. He needs to make the tough decisions on issues here at home like he has with the war on terror. But I do not put the blame on him. Congress is the one that has to come up with a plan. And they are not getting anywhere.

And you know, I don't think I would call this a defeat for Bush. He is more savy than the idiot dems and the media give him credit for. This is really congress' issue. If they pass tough legislation, he can always claim to all the mexicalis that he tried. He still comes out smelling like a rose. The media is so intent on making this his issue, when it really is not.

Archived