With honors

AWK

June 25, 2006

Glenn LaFollette

The Daily Times Staff

Just call Carl Stewart. It won't be what you'd expect.

This is the kid that plays the violin, smiles when others don't and juggles big-time college football and graduating with honors.

His degree says ``cum laude,'' but Stewart's cell phone greeting only says one thing: Hollywood.

``Carl went down there and got that,'' said Maryville High School football coach George Quarles of his former tailback. ``That nickname wasn't anything at Maryville. That's something he got down there.''

``There'' is Auburn University, and you'll have to forgive Quarles. A nickname would have been a hard thing to notice for a player that was about everything else besides credit. Stewart earned his handle long before he strapped on pads for the Tigers.

There are certain expectations brewed about an individual that goes by the name Hollywood, but in Stewart's case, they'd be wrong. Nicknames like that usually develop out of ego. Stewart's comes from the heart.

Birth of Hollywood

Michael Stewart only made it to one of his nephew's football games during Carl's junior season. He wouldn't see any the following year. In Carl Stewart's three years of varsity football, the Rebels walked away state champions every time.

He was a champion, a proven running back worthy of any number of Division I scholarships. Stewart rushed for 1,585 yards and a school record 28 touchdowns in his final season. The effort earned him Class 4A's Mr. Football winner in the backs division.

But his uncle didn't watch any of those games. He died of cancer at the beginning of Carl's senior season. Michael Stewart did see one game in 2001, and he liked what he saw.

``Michael had cancer, so he really couldn't make it to any of the games,'' said Marjorie Stewart, Carl's mother and Michael's sister-in-law. ``He made it to one game (Carl's junior season). Alcoa at Alcoa I believe. He loved getting to see Carl.

```There's Hollywood on the field,' he said. Michael just started calling him that.''

Michael Stewart's family buried him just before the annual showdown with Morristown West in 2002.

It was a difficult game for Stewart. He left the game with a head injury and a nickname he'd never let go.

``I don't think his head was in that game,'' Marjorie Stewart said. ``That's why `Hollywood' was so important to him. After his uncle died, it was his way of honoring him.''

Politics and patience

Stewart has more surprises. Most running backs shake senators' hands; they don't become them. Stewart finished his undergraduate work in May -- in just 3½ years -- garnering a degree in political science.

While just a junior on the playing field, Stewart plans on entering Auburn's Masters of Public Administration program in the fall. Politics are most definitely in his future. However, the handshaking and baby kissing will have to wait.

Football still comes first.

``I love politics,'' Stewart said. ``It's definitely something that I could get into. Right now I just want to see what comes my way. I want to take care of football first, then see what happens.''

Stewart has been forced to master patience along with every offensive set. After redshirting his first season, Stewart finally saw the field in 2004 -- the same year the Tigers went 13-0 without a shot at a national title.

There were occasional handoffs (39 total for 184 yards) and a couple touchdowns. Stewart should feel lucky he got any. Few rookie backs begin their career on the depth chart behind two starting NFL tailbacks.

Ronnie Brown and Carnell ``Cadillac'' Williams each went in the first round of the draft following the unblemished year. Stewart said it was a valuable learning experience.

``It was amazing,'' Stewart said. ``I learned more that season, being that it was my first season playing, than I ever have. Those guys (Brown and Williams) were great, and you had to learn something just being around them.

``I kept working because I saw what it took at this level.''

But hard work wasn't enough in 2005. Stewart's chance of stardom was put on hold with the arrival of South Carolina transfer Kenny Irons.

Stewart was the one earning the team's Most Improved Offensive Skills Player Award, while Irons was picking up right where Brown and Williams had left off. The transfer led the Southeastern Conference in rushing while Stewart only saw action in nine games.

He got three more handoffs (42) than he did a year after splitting time with Brown and Williams and rushed for 33 less yards. Disappointment was the first reaction.

``Carl said he was really able to fly under the radar with Ronnie and Cadillac,'' Marjorie Stewart said. ``He learned some things. I know he was disappointed last year, but we reminded him that you don't know what God has for you.

``He's taken that to heart. I think he works as hard as he can to make the best of it.''

Finding a place

Stewart's work has him bulking up to 231 pounds and taking advantage of the Tigers' missing depth at fullback. He also said coaches would like to take advantage of his catching skills.

Only time will tell. Auburn's first game is at home against Washington State on Sept. 2. Irons will be entering his senior season, while Stewart will continue to fight off redshirt sophomore Brad Lester and senior Tre Smith for playing time.

If it doesn't work out, Quarles said Stewart could find success in anything he put his mind to.

``He's extremely well rounded,'' Quarles said. ``He is very articulate. Carl can do anything he wants to do. If he wanted to go into law, he has the ability to do that. A doctor, he can do that, too.

``It's really up to him. That's always how it was.''

Currently, what Stewart wants to do is football. He works hard and continues to make friends. The running back corps are apparently as close as any unit on the team, and Irons is more a brother than competition.

``Crazy,'' Stewart said of Irons. ``We call him `Crazy Legs.' You never know what he's going to do. That's how he is. That's how he runs.''

Stewart's work off the field has not gone unnoticed by his surrogate community. He was honored by the Auburn chapter of the National Football Foundation and College Hall of Fame in March with the school's Scholar Athlete Award. The future seems limitless for the former Rebel in all areas but one.

All career plans are on hold until Stewart's football dreams are finished.

``I hadn't really thought about it as far as what I'm going to do,'' Stewart said. ``Right now I'm focused on football. That's got my attention for now, and I can't think about anything else.''

Mothers are only so patient, however. Marjorie Stewart could talk for days of her pride for Carl, but as far as his career is concerned, she hopes he doesn't take nearly as long to decide.

``Hopefully, he'll pick something by September,'' she said. ``I think he's really interested in this MPA program, but who knows. We're so proud of Carl. He comes home and tells me this is all for me.

``But I tell them it's not for me. It's for him.''

And, just maybe, for the uncle who called him Hollywood.

Link

Carl Stewart will make AUBURN proud no matter what he chooses to do with his life. He is a GREAT human and a very good football player.

According to CTT and Chette, Carl is a very accomplished concert violinist. Chette said he is very good violinist!!! That is awesome! Never know what these guys are good at off the field.

Carl may be the best all around player in the backfield if he plays fullback and running back. He could be the perfect block-run-catch combo back here. And the NFL would like that versatility.

Violinist? Cum Laude? 231# of muscle?Starting FB?

Wow, I suddenly want Ethan to meet this guy.

Archived