Am I the only one not caring about N.Korea?

AURaptor

Despite what their pot bellied leader says, N.Korea would commit suicide if they even as much sent a missile to the Aleutian Isles, never mind the US mainland. So what's the big deal ?

:huh:

Maybe I'm just a smug American, but I'm not sensing the need for all this 'breaking news' by FOX and the other cable news folks.

Btw, did anyone else pay attention to this ? I watched CNN, and their coverage was all on the rockets, I switch to FOX, and they're doing some pre-packaged nonsense fluff story over something forgetable.

I think CNN scooped FOX on the missle story, pretty big time. I could be wrong. Anyway to find this stuff out ? Who had the story first ?

It's not TODAY that the well informed americans are worrying about. It's the possibility of what may happen in the future. As soon as there is enough of these rogue states that have nuclear capability, the balance of power in the world shifts and we are more likely to be attacked.

It was pointed out on some network last night that the direct threat of N Korea attacking the US may not be the biggest concern. In particular, they mentioned this scenario: N. Korea has a prior record of selling technology to other rogue states, Iran in particular. Since the current Ayatollah of Iran has stated that Israel should be wiped off the map, selling them missles with the range to reach Israel could be very destabilizing in the Mid East. If, in addition, Iran is able to arm those missles with nuclear warheads, then things get very dicey.

Now personally, I believe it would also be suicidal for Iran to launch a nuclear attack on Israel. Most experts think Israel has enough nuclear weapons to send Iran back to the Dark Ages (as if they every really left). However, as has been clearly demonstrated, Islamic extremists are not always deterred by a sense of self-preservation. And even though Israel may have as much as 100-200 nukes in stockpile, they are probably too small to absorb any nuclear attack & survive. It would probably only take 2-3 nukes strategically placed, along with their fallout, to render most of Israel's ariable land worthless. Then, of course, there is Iran's location on the world's petroleum jugular to worry about as well.

I don't know that there is much we can do about N Korea without their cooperation however. Thanks to Iraq, we probably don't have the military resources for a full-scale ground war there--it was also said on television last night that they have the 4th largest army in the world. Air strikes may or may not be effective, and would almost certainly trigger an invasion of the south, not to mention that N. Korea's leader has promised to respond to any attack with nuclear weapons. I doubt any of the other major powers in the region, Japan, China, Russia, Vietnam (or the European democracies), would approve of a military option either.

But back to the thread title: I don't worry about it much simply because there's not much we can do about it. No sense losing sleep over things you can't change.

There needs to be a black-op to take out that nutcase in N. Korea. Japan wants sanction. Sanctions on a country that is already depriving it's people of food seems useless, even inhumane. I say black-op the buckethead.

kim_jong_il_profile.jpg

I didn't watch any of the news yesterday. But after seeing some last night and reading a few new accounts, I have concluded that North Korea is a dangerous, but incompetent villain. These test were simply posturing for the on going nuclear talks.

These test were simply posturing for the on going nuclear talks.

245233[/snapback]

Probably so...

Bottomfeeder,

One thing about your "black op" suggestion (Other than that it's still illegal for the U.S. to engage in assasination.):

I don't think any such operation could be "black" these days. By which I mean, anything unusual happens to Kim Jong-Il, and who would be at the top of the list of usual suspects? Whether there was concrete evidence linking us to it or not, it would incite every other rogue state & terrorist group to even more anger and violence against us, and still not guarantee that his successor wouldn't march into South Korea or use their nukes anyway..

Bottomfeeder,

One thing about your "black op" suggestion (Other than that it's still illegal for the U.S. to engage in assasination.):

I don't think any such operation could be "black" these days.  By which I mean, anything unusual happens to Kim Jong-Il, and who would be at the top of the list of usual suspects? (Bush?) Whether there was concrete evidence linking us to it or not, it would incite every other rogue state & terrorist group to even more anger and violence against us, and still not guarantee that his successor wouldn't march into South Korea or use their nukes anyway..

245273[/snapback]

And that accusation would be the front page headline for the New York Times, wouldn't it? <_<

I'm convinced this whole missle firing thing on N. Korea's part is due to the fact that they are still upset over the hit movie "Team America: World Police."

team7.jpg

These test were simply posturing for the on going nuclear talks.

245233[/snapback]

Probably so...

Bottomfeeder,

I don't think any such operation could be "black" these days. By which I mean, anything unusual happens to Kim Jong-Il, and who would be at the top of the list of usual suspects? Whether there was concrete evidence linking us to it or not, it would incite every other rogue state & terrorist group to even more anger and violence against us, and still not guarantee that his successor wouldn't march into South Korea or use their nukes anyway..

245273[/snapback]

I know that Christianity doesn't permit murder, but geez. When I was in S. Korea we were told that the US's worst fear is the old man dying and this nutcase taking charge. They all knew he was crazy then. I didn't even know who the hell he was. Anyway, something has gotta give for humanity's sake. This guy has got to go. I hate dictators.

Ok, I'll conceed a couple of points. N.Korea could make some cool $$$ by advertising their nuke capabilities to the world, and potential buyers - like Iran. That's a truck load of potential suck.

And then there's the small matter that the Korean War has never officially ended. We've just agreed to stop shooting for....50 yrs or so. Kinda like what we had going w/ Iraq. We agreed to stop the cruise missles if they lived up to agreements and played nice. Iraq didn't live up to those agreements, so we're.....well, you get the idea.

<_< Hmm....

Archived