Gabe McKenzie

AFTiger

Back in early June, I visited offensive coordinator Al Borges and shared my opinions about some of his players. He finds these analyses funny, I would as well, but Al knows how to change opinions with a smile on his face.

Anyway, I was giving him a hard time about Gabe McKenzie. He signed in 2005 out of a Mobile high school. Some felt McKenzie was an excellent tight end; others believed he would be more influential at defensive end. Auburn elected to keep him on offense. McKenzie spent last autumn on the scout team.

Borges, surprised that I'd question McKenzie's value at tight end (behind the up-and-coming Tommy Trott), showed me approximately 20 video cut-ups of McKenzie spring work.

I'll say this: Gabe McKenzie is one heck of a hitter. When he fires off the ball and into Auburn's DEs, the offense wins a lot of those encounters. McKenzie really pops people, knocking them up and away from the play. And this wasn't against walk-ons; I watched McKenzie aggravate Marquies Gunn and Quentin Groves repeatedly.

Is McKenzie ready to be a major tight end in the SEC right now? Probably not. I have changed my mind on the kid, though, and I now believe he'll be quite useful down the road.

Go below soccer stuff for comments

Archived