The Crimson Tide

PChamp119

We were at the Student Recruiter office today and our Advisor asked how UAT got the name Crimson Tide. So we researched it and I did not know this - they were the "Red Line" and then tied Auburn 6-6 when they were a heavy underdog so they then became the "Crimson Tide" for tying Auburn (Crimson Tied). I appologize to those of you who already knew this, but I found this very funny.

We were at the Student Recruiter office today and our Advisor asked how UAT got the name Crimson Tide. So we researched it and I did not know this - they were the "Red Line" and then tied Auburn 6-6 when they were a heavy underdog so they then became the "Crimson Tide" for tying Auburn (Crimson Tied). I appologize to those of you who already knew this, but I found this very funny.

I learned that here

To add some history here.....you are correct.

The day following the game the Editor of the Birmingham Age-Herald, a guy named Hugh Roberts, ran the Headline as "The Crimson" Tied !

Many years later, Zipp Newman, an editor for the Birmingham News and an Auburn supporter stole this headline from an Atlanta paper to jab at the Alabama Football team after an embarrassing tie with Georgia Tech in 1923. The Tide rolled into Grant Field a heavy favorite but was unable to score and the game ended in a 0-0 tie. The next day the headline in the Atlanta Gazette read "The Crimson Tied?" Newman though it was so funny that he again used the headline after another embarrasing 0-0 tie to LSU in 1927. Alabama had not lost to LSU in 8 years, during which time they had outscored them 180 to 13. The last two meetings between the 2 had not only been slaughters but also shutouts, with Bama out scoring LSU 66-0. The school did a little bit of word changing but adopted the nickname "Crimson Tide" in the early thirties after several other jabs by Newman.

Buddy, the overall series ledger does not reflect what's happened in the recent past -- say the last 6 years or so. When you get back to contending for the SEC West year after year, then you can start comparing yourself to LSU & AU. Right now, your current mediocracy as a team makes you the equal of Ole Miss, et al. Isn't there an Arky, Ole Miss or MSU board you can visit to make some meaningful boasts? That dog ain't hunting on this site. :lol:

We lead the series, pal. If we are mediocre, then what does that make you? :no:

The point was that you have your knickname because you settled on mediocrity. Crimson Tied comes from Tieing the other ball clubs - it is that simple. If Auburn decided to change their knickname recently based on how they played on the field, like Alabama did, it would be the "Auburn Whoop Ass's"

If Alabama were to change their knickname to the "Alabama 38-31-1" then I guess you would have a point, but you don't

Buddy, the overall series ledger does not reflect what's happened in the recent past -- say the last 6 years or so. When you get back to contending for the SEC West year after year, then you can start comparing yourself to LSU & AU. Right now, your current mediocracy as a team makes you the equal of Ole Miss, et al. Isn't there an Arky, Ole Miss or MSU board you can visit to make some meaningful boasts? That dog ain't hunting on this site. :lol:

Can't argue with what you said but in wincrimson's defense the thread is titled "The Crimson Tide, They have settled on mediocrity for 100 years." Do you have an answer for his question?

Can't argue with what you said but in wincrimson's defense the thread is titled "The Crimson Tide, They have settled on mediocrity for 100 years." Do you have an answer for his question?

Yes. This thread is about how the Crimson Tide got its name by the fact that it was a huge accomplishment for them to tie Auburn 100 years ago (1907).

just by 7 games, and closing fast. Click, Clack there's a tiger about ready to bite your ass

You idiots can't really believe you have 12 national championships. Does that include the coveted "Dunkel's"? Does that include the year you had 2 losses and 4 other teams had 1 loss or less?If not for the "tactics" employed by Bear Bryant in recruiting/scheduling, etc. you wouldn't lead the series.I know firsthand of some of his "stunts". :no: Its like I tell my kids "If you have to cheat and take shortcuts how proud will you be when you look in the mirror." :au:

I believe in AUBURN and love it!

O jeez, I did not mean to stir that up - that debate will never end. It's all in the past, so please don't be a Bama fan and bring it up :) I still think its funny that Bama's name revolves around how great Auburn is and how much they settle for medocrity

The point was that you have your knickname because you settled on mediocrity. Crimson Tied comes from Tieing the other ball clubs - it is that simple. If Auburn decided to change their knickname recently based on how they played on the field, like Alabama did, it would be the "Auburn Whoop Ass's"

If Alabama were to change their knickname to the "Alabama 38-31-1" then I guess you would have a point, but you don't

I don't generally agree with what you post, but this is pretty classic. Good stuff. You made your mom proud with this one. I salute you.

I did answer his question, and you weren't paying attention. The first 6 words in your reply make it all too clear which program is mediocre right now.

754 wins in 108 seasons...Now that's mediocrity at it's finest.

Thanks for having the nads to say that.

Auburn owns us right now. 4 in a row... nobody's denying that. I don't pull bunk out of thin air to slam Bama's rival school, so why do some on here? It has been stated in this thread that we "celebrate 100 years of mediocrity." Yeah, going to more bowl games, winning more bowl games, winning multiple national championships (even if we had 2 it'd be double what AU has), 21 SEC championships, etc is not mediocrity.

Auburn owns us right now. 4 in a row... nobody's denying that. I don't pull bunk out of thin air to slam Bama's rival school, so why do some on here? It has been stated in this thread that we "celebrate 100 years of mediocrity." Yeah, going to more bowl games, winning more bowl games, winning multiple national championships (even if we had 2 it'd be double what AU has), 21 SEC championships, etc is not mediocrity.

WC, it is all in fun and please take it that way. This off-season has been real hard on everyone what with the NYT Article and the Simpson anti-discipline. I have to say that living here in Decatur and knowing JS and his family I grow more shocked at this story everyday. He doesnt even sound like the same kid anymore.

Come on guys, it is only 4 more days till kickoff!

WC, it is all in fun and please take it that way. This off-season has been real hard on everyone what with the NYT Article and the Simpson anti-discipline. I have to say that living here in Decatur and knowing JS and his family I grow more shocked at this story everyday. He doesnt even sound like the same kid anymore.

You are so right. Please Sept 2nd get here soon. Im about to go crazy.

Football has been gone long enough, its time for the games to start.

I agree 100%

btw...Welcome back ECE...Haven't seen you post in a while. We need more civil uaters here! ;)

I agree 100%

btw...Welcome back ECE...Haven't seen you post in a while. We need more civil uaters here! ;)

Who are you & what have you done with the real WarTim???

:P

I agree 100%

I try to ONLY kill the message. Never the messenger. ;):big:

To add some history here.....you are correct.

The day following the game the Editor of the Birmingham Age-Herald, a guy named Hugh Roberts, ran the Headline as "The Crimson" Tied !

Many years later, Zipp Newman, an editor for the Birmingham News and an Auburn supporter stole this headline from an Atlanta paper to jab at the Alabama Football team after an embarrassing tie with Georgia Tech in 1923. The Tide rolled into Grant Field a heavy favorite but was unable to score and the game ended in a 0-0 tie. The next day the headline in the Atlanta Gazette read "The Crimson Tied?" Newman though it was so funny that he again used the headline after another embarrasing 0-0 tie to LSU in 1927. Alabama had not lost to LSU in 8 years, during which time they had outscored them 180 to 13. The last two meetings between the 2 had not only been slaughters but also shutouts, with Bama out scoring LSU 66-0. The school did a little bit of word changing but adopted the nickname "Crimson Tide" in the early thirties after several other jabs by Newman.

I don't really care but I have always heard a somewhat different version. I grew up in B'ham and my Dad worked at the B'ham News for years. I always heard that the name came following a bama game with Tulane. Tulane, commonly referred to as the Green Wave, was favored to win but bama pulled off the upset and Newman's article the next day said"Alabama rolled over the Green Wave like a Crimson Tide."

I agree 100%

I try to ONLY kill the message. Never the messenger. ;):big:

HAHA. Thanks for the welcome back BTW. 3 more days!!

It makes you CHEATERS!!!??? :moon: ( See Harper's...1929).... :big:

:au::homer:

You remind me of a Muslim preaching at the Southern Baptist Convention.

Archived