Danny Sheridan Picks Auburn to win Western Division

cleburnecountytigerfan

Danny Sheridan gave his opinion on who will win the SEC in this column Paul Finebaum wrote in the Mobile Register. Sheridan also gives his opinion on who will win the Bammer- Auburn game this year and where Sheila ranks among SEC coaches. Bammers are absolutely going to love Danny Sheridan opinions. :lol:

Here is the link. I will also post some of the highlights from this article.

http://www.al.com/search/index.ssf?/base/s...&thispage=2

Sheridan endorses Auburn

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

If Tommy Tuberville had been reading this column a year ago when Danny Sheridan made his annual forecast for the upcoming college football season, perhaps he would have been better prepared for the shocking upset against Georgia Tech.

Had Mike Shula been doing the same, he could have avoided sweating the small stuff and gone ahead and made plans for a New Year's Day bowl.

Sheridan called both here a year ago, and for those of you who have been paying close attention to his career, it really wasn't a surprise.

The Mobile-based USA Today sports analyst -- whose opinions on the NFL and college ball can be found in countless national magazines and on TV -- created a mega-buzz in New York publishing circles with the recent news of a potential blockbuster book on his career, to be released late next summer. He recently sat down with us to give his take on the 2006 football season?

-- Q: Let's start with the SEC: How do you see it from top to bottom?

A: Like I said last year, I expect the best SEC team to have at least two losses. I like Auburn to win the West. Even though Florida clearly has the best talent, I like Tennessee in the East. In the West, I see LSU second because of a killer schedule. Arkansas is pegged third. But if their quarterback comes through, they will challenge Auburn for the West title. Alabama will be at No. 4, with Ole Miss and Mississippi State bringing up the rear.

-- Q: And what about the East?

A: I think last year was an aberration and Phillip Fulmer is a great coach. With the addition of David Cutcliffe, Tennessee will be back. Florida's only weakness is its offensive line. With Jim Donnan's recruits finally gone, I foresee hard times for Georgia. I'm not saying they will collapse, but the Bulldogs won't come close to the success they've had the last four years. South Carolina overachieved last year -- a tribute to Steve Spurrier, who is the best college football coach in America. They have very little talent this year, and I expect Spurrier to win the SEC East in two or three years. Kentucky comes in fifth. Vanderbilt, well, you can't make a donkey a racehorse.

-- Q: What about Auburn?

A: A very well-coached team. They have a consummate coaching staff. They do two things excellent that you have to do to survive. They recruit well and then coach the hell out of the players. They are exceptional game-day coaches. People may criticize Tuberville, but when he makes a mistake, he corrects it immediately. They have a great home schedule, which should help them win in the West. Their four toughest games (LSU, Arkansas, Florida and Georgia) are at home.

-- Q: Last year, you were one of the few who said Alabama would win eight or nine regular-season games and be in a New Year's Day bowl game. What about Alabama this year?

A. With seven creampuffs at home (Hawaii, Vanderbilt, Louisiana-Monroe, Duke, Ole Miss, Florida International, Mississippi State), Ears Whitworth would win eight games, :roflol: so how can this team not win nine or 10 games? Based on Alabama's talent, it's reasonable to assume they should win at least two of their four road games (Arkansas, Florida, Tennessee and LSU).

-- Q: In preseason last season, you picked Auburn to beat Alabama. And the week before, you said Auburn would annihilate them. What about this year? Can Alabama turn the Tide?

A: Not as long as it's Shula vs. Tuberville. Assuming both teams remain injury free, Auburn will definitely make it six of the last seven. :thumbsup:

-- Q: How would you rate Mike Shula and his staff?

A: Based on conversations with rival coaches and insiders, I would put him and his staff, who I think are real nice guys, somewhere between seven and 12 in the SEC.

-- Q: How about a number?

A: Considering the talent he inherited, a 12 rating for his first year on the job and not much better the second year. I would rate them the No. 7 SEC coaching staff from top to bottom heading into this season.

-- Q: With all due respect, did you the miss the 10-2 season and No. 8 ranking and the job Shula did last year?

A: No, but did you miss the first half of the Alabama-Auburn game? With the talent and the easy schedule, this wasn't a big surprise. If you remember, I said with a creampuff schedule, they would get to that number.

-- Q: A lot of Alabama, and most notably former Tide quarterback Brodie Croyle, said the Tide won the last three quarters of that game? Do you agree?

A: You gotta be kidding. The only time Alabama was in that game was at the coin toss. Alabama scored a meaningless touchdown and a two-point conversation with 23 seconds left to make the final score (Auburn 28-18) seem respectable. Those who saw the carnage know that Tuberville clearly called off the dogs. He used the same clever tactic that Pat Dye did with Bill Curry. In fact, if Curry were still at Alabama, Dye would still be coaching at Auburn. Auburn clearly is getting their money's worth with their football coach. He is a veteran and is not getting on-the-job training -- and at this point in Tub's career, he's light years ahead of Shula.

-- Q: One might detect some strong dislike for Shula based on your comments. Any truth to that?

A: None whatsoever. I've never met Mike Shula, but I hear he's a great guy. But he wasn't hired to be a nice guy. He was hired to consistently win meaningful football games, win the West and compete for the SEC and national title, something he has not even remotely come close to doing. Based on what I've seen the last three years, Alabama is not getting their money's worth.

-- Q: If Shula doesn't beat Auburn this year, what does his future look like?

A: Two things will happen to Shula and Alabama in the future and both are good. He'll be rich and he won't be coaching at Alabama. Bottom line: If he doesn't beat Auburn, he has two to three years maximum and he'll be gone.

-- Q: Most people think with Shula having three recruiting years under his belt, this would be an even game, especially having a home-field advantage. What is your reason for favoring Auburn?

A: Auburn has out-recruited Alabama for three straight years and, as stated earlier, Auburn has a superior coaching staff. It's a no-brainer.

-- Q: According to some experts, Alabama has done pretty well in recruiting. In fact, Shula nearly landed one of the top quarterbacks in the country -- Tim Tebow.

A: Shula's recruiting of Tebow was Keystone Kops material. Every coach in America knew Tebow was destined for Florida except one. Shula had as much chance of signing him as I have of eating dinner at a five-star restaurant on Mars tonight.

-- Q: One of the things you are best known for is setting the betting line for USA Today. Would you share some of the point spreads for some of the bigger games of the season.

A: If they were playing this weekend, I'd say on Sept. 9, Georgia would only be a slight favorite over South Carolina and Texas would be even against Ohio State. Sept. 16: Auburn anywhere from five to six points over LSU and Florida two to three points over Tennessee. Sept 23: Even with questions about its star running back, Arkansas would be at least a four-point favorite over Alabama. Sept. 30: Florida would be anywhere from an 11-14-point favorite over Alabama. Oct. 7: Florida 6½ over LSU. Oct. 14: Auburn 3½ over Florida. Oct. 21: Tennessee by 7 over Alabama. Oct. 28: Florida by 4½ over Georgia. Nov. 3: Tennessee would be a one-point favorite over LSU. Nov. 11: LSU 10 over Alabama and Auburn by seven over Georgia. Nov. 18: Auburn by five over Alabama.

-- Q: What about your over and under odds on regular-season wins?

Auburn 10, Florida 9, LSU 9, Tennessee 8½, Georgia 8½ and Alabama 8.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm fond of this one....

-- Q: A lot of Alabama, and most notably former Tide quarterback Brodie Croyle, said the Tide won the last three quarters of that game? Do you agree?

A: You gotta be kidding. The only time Alabama was in that game was at the coin toss. Alabama scored a meaningless touchdown and a two-point conversation with 23 seconds left to make the final score (Auburn 28-18) seem respectable. Those who saw the carnage know that Tuberville clearly called off the dogs. He used the same clever tactic that Pat Dye did with Bill Curry. In fact, if Curry were still at Alabama, Dye would still be coaching at Auburn. Auburn clearly is getting their money's worth with their football coach. He is a veteran and is not getting on-the-job training -- and at this point in Tub's career, he's light years ahead of Shula.

and this one...

-- Q: One might detect some strong dislike for Shula based on your comments. Any truth to that?

A: None whatsoever. I've never met Mike Shula, but I hear he's a great guy. But he wasn't hired to be a nice guy. He was hired to consistently win meaningful football games, win the West and compete for the SEC and national title, something he has not even remotely come close to doing. Based on what I've seen the last three years, Alabama is not getting their money's worth.

There are some nice little gems throughout that entire piece.

Sheridan is a huge Bama homer. he's either trying to inspire the Bama coaching staff or things are worse than thought possible in Tuscaloosa.

To the unknowing: DS is the biggest :ua::homer: in the state, and maybe the nation. I mean that. He usually picks Bama to do at least 2 games better than they finish. 1-2 years ago he picked them to win it all. :o

For DS to pick them this low MAY be the evidence of something that some inside folks have just started whispering about. You guys just have to understand how bad it hurts DS to say that. He is an infuriating :ua::homer:

To the unknowing: DS is the biggest :ua::homer: in the state, and maybe the nation. I mean that. He usually picks Bama to do at least 2 games better than they finish. 1-2 years ago he picked them to win it all. :o

For DS to pick them this low MAY be the evidence of something that some inside folks have just started whispering about. You guys just have to understand how bad it hurts DS to say that. He is an infuriating :ua::homer:

Really. I'm shocked that he's saying the things he's saying about uat. Maybe he's trying the objectivity angle now?

Sheridan is a huge Bama homer. he's either trying to inspire the Bama coaching staff or things are worse than thought possible in Tuscaloosa.

That was my thought exactly while I was reading the article. Either Shula has pissed in his corn flakes or he is trying to light a fire under his team.

Funny thing is that he really didn't sound like he was trying to inspire anyone, it really sounded bitter.

Oh boy, if the tahd loses his support out there, things really could be changing.

He's low browin'.

I wish there were more Danny Sheridan's in the world, and that we didn't have a single vote in the Top 25. We're starting off the season just where I want to be.

He's low browin'.

I wish there were more Danny Sheridan's in the world, and that we didn't have a single vote in the Top 25. We're starting off the season just where I want to be.

Wha??

What kind of twisted bammer logic is that? You don't want to be listed in the Top 25? Do you know how hard it is to jump all those other ranked teams even when they lose?

That's the stupidest thing I've read all day...but it is early and you've got plenty of time to top yourself.

That was my thought exactly while I was reading the article. Either Shula has pissed in his corn flakes or he is trying to light a fire under his team.

Funny thing is that he really didn't sound like he was trying to inspire anyone, it really sounded bitter.

Oh boy, if the tahd loses his support out there, things really could be changing.

when bammer homers start picking Auburn, watch out.

don't hurt me coach

group3b.jpg

You guys are POORLY informed. Danny Sheridan has been anti bama since they didnt offer his buddy Donnan the job.

He's been on a bama slam campaign since the day fran left. And hasnt stopped. So dont start wetting yourself with enjoyment.

This is the same guy who said we would win 6 games last year.

That's not what the article says

-- Q: With all due respect, did you the miss the 10-2 season and No. 8 ranking and the job Shula did last year?

A: No, but did you miss the first half of the Alabama-Auburn game? With the talent and the easy schedule, this wasn't a big surprise. If you remember, I said with a creampuff schedule, they would get to that number.

If Tommy Tuberville had been reading this column a year ago when Danny Sheridan made his annual forecast for the upcoming college football season, perhaps he would have been better prepared for the shocking upset against Georgia Tech.

Had Mike Shula been doing the same, he could have avoided sweating the small stuff and gone ahead and made plans for a New Year's Day bowl.

Sheridan called both here a year ago, and for those of you who have been paying close attention to his career, it really wasn't a surprise.

According to that part of the article, Danny Sheridan picked the Bammers to go to a New Year's Day bowl game last year.

Sheridan is one of, if not the BIGGEST, uat Homer/appologist in the world. This, again, is SHOCKING ! ! !

He didnt say that to me last year.

BELIEVE me when I say he has an agenda here. There's a lot going on behind closed doors with Danny and his slamming bama.

BELIEVE me when I say he has an agenda here. There's a lot going on behind closed doors with Danny and his slamming bama.

You are right....He does have an agenda....Anyone that is making money through pimping lines has one....The question I put to you is fill me in on what his is. Not a flame just actually want to know. From the orange and blue side of the fence he comes across as an SPUAT :homer:

BG - Didn't DS make the statement somewhere that he thought Fran was not told up front about the severity of the NCAA's proposed sanctions? And that his real beef is with Mal Moore cause of this.

That is sort of what I was saying. He sounded bitter in his rhetoric. I didn't know there was a riff between he and tha unahvesity though.

Sheridan was VERY anti Fran during his whole tenure there...because like all other media, fran didnt give a rats behind about sheridan.

Well then he decided to pimp his best buddy Donnan out for the bama vacancy. When Donnan didnt get a sniff, he started bashing all things bama and taking up for Fran.

Last week (cant wait for links response) Sheridan told people at a speaking engagement that Mark Richt is a bad coach and is just winning with Donnan's players. --paraphrased of course, but you get the point.

And he's gone out of his way to slam Alabama at every turn. Because he's bitter. He's not in with the people at the University anymore, and his pen pal isnt coaching there.

Also notice, he's constantly hedging. Alabama's schedule has been "weak" to him since Fran left. That way, if we win, our staff gets no credit...if we lose, its double bad.

He covers it in a way that he never has to say Shula is a good coach.

Last week (cant wait for links response) Sheridan told people at a speaking engagement that Mark Richt is a bad coach and is just winning with Donnan's players. --paraphrased of course, but you get the point.

I can't imagine anyone being dumb enough to say this!

Sheridan was VERY anti Fran during his whole tenure there...because like all other media, fran didnt give a rats behind about sheridan.

Well then he decided to pimp his best buddy Donnan out for the bama vacancy. When Donnan didnt get a sniff, he started bashing all things bama and taking up for Fran.

And he's gone out of his way to slam Alabama at every turn. Because he's bitter. He's not in with the people at the University anymore, and his pen pal isnt coaching there.

Danny Sheridan is probably bashing Sheila, because he realizes that Sheila has never finished higher than 3rd place in the Western Division. :lol:

BTW, I thought Sheridan starting criticizing Bammer when Fran left Tuscaloser because he was a big fan of Franchione.

Archived