CTT to be criticized for suspending Sears and Blackmon?

DKW 86

http://www.tfponline.com/QuickHeadlines.as...%26ID%3DAr02501

Shula merits criticism for lax discipline

Darren Epps Commentary

Editor’s Note: Read Darren Epps blog on Tennessee football at www.tfponline.comwww. tfponline. com You want to chastise Mike Shula for letting Juwan Simpson play in Alabama’s first two games. You want to denounce his cryptic suspension of receiver DJ Hall.

In both cases, the criticism is deserved. Shula blew an opportunity to establish discipline and set a poor example for his 18-to-22-year-old players.

But then you see Ohio State receivers Ted Ginn Jr.

and Anthony Gonzalez running free in the Texas secondary, trampling on the Longhorns’ national title aspirations, and you understand. Earlier in the week, Texas coach Mack Brown suspended starting cornerback Tarell Brown and backup defensive back Tyrell Gatewood for the Ohio State game — the Game of the Century until the next one — last Saturday.

Police arrested them earlier in the week on misdemeanor drug possession, and a gun possession for Brown, the same charges levied against Simpson. Coach Brown suspended both, Ohio State’s Troy Smith threw for 269 yards and two touchdowns and Texas lost 24-7. "They did miss the game of the year," said Coach Brown, noting he did not regret the decision.

Months from now, when Ohio State is preparing for the national championship game as the Longhorns ready themselves for the Fiesta Bowl, very few will remember Smith picked apart a Texas secondary missing its star corner.

Just like very few are even aware UAB nearly upset Oklahoma with Conference USA preseason defensive player of the year Larry McSwain suspended. If McSwain played, maybe Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson wouldn’t have scored two touchdowns and UAB would have earned a monumental win.

And this weekend, if LSU runs over Auburn, no one in blue and orange will applaud Tommy Tuberville for suspending linebackers Kevin Sears and Tray Blackmon for a third game.

Coaches are judged by wins and losses. Shula seems to understand that.

But what a young coach like Shula fails to understand are the ramifications for lax discipline in an age when more and more athletes are raised in single-parent homes without much guidance. (See Tennessee and Phillip Fulmer, 2005).

The moment Simpson strutted onto the field against Hawaii was an embarrassing one for Alabama. And Hall’s explanation last Saturday for his absence in the Hawaii game made Shula look foolish.

"Before the game, I tried to run on my foot and Coach asked me, ‘Can you run?’" Hall said. "I was like, ‘I could try.’ He was like, ‘I need more than that.’" Shula insisted he suspended Hall.

"I think that was maybe before the game," Hall said. "I didn’t know it was going to be for that game. He came out and told me. He told me to still go out there and get ready to play and see how I do in warmups. I went out there and tried to see what I could do in warmups. It didn’t work out."

Translation: When Hall clearly couldn’t run a post route, Shula enacted his onegame suspension instead of waiting for SEC play. What a great life lesson for the 20-year-old Hall and his young teammates. Don’t think Shula’s decisions won’t be discussed by opposing coaches on the recruiting trail.

Of course, Alabama held Hawaii’s potent offense to 17 points and clung to a win with Simpson at linebacker. And a healthy and suspension-free Hall caught the game-tying 31-yard touchdown catch against Vanderbilt. Alabama, though unimpressively, is 2-0. But Shula sent a message to his players: You can carry around guns and drugs; just don’t bring them on the field when you start the next game. And if you’re due a one-game suspension, he’ll wait until you’re too injured to play. Some discipline.

Of course, Shula is still in contention for his first SEC championship. That’s the short-term benefit.

I call total :bs: on that one. Auburn fans may be upset, but I doubt we really carp about Sears and Blackmon's suspensions. If anything, I think we support CTT all the more. It wasnt CTT that let the team down...It is CTT trying to shore the team up.

Hats off to Mack Brown for doing it right.

The way I understand it is Blackmon was already warned of his drinking before this incident. I still am hearing that Blackmon has two more games to go and Sears will be back for Buffalo. Ironically enough Monte Pitts also was given the same five game suspension but he insted chose to transfer. No matter what happens I am proud that CTT has laid down such a tough law. He understands in one more year that Sears will be on his own and Blackmon will be on his own in four years. There will not be anyone to lean on then. Props to Tubbs for not worring about wins but worring about showing his players when you screw up in life there are repercussions for your actions. I am respecting him more and more every day.

It will be interesting to see how many applaud Tubs after Saturday if the game doesn't go well. For my part,and many others I have talked to, I am proud to root for a program that doesn't appear to sacrifice priciples for the expediency of wins. Give me young people coming in and leaving as real men and I will be proud.

I agree one hundred percent. Sometimes is could be a matter of life and death for those guys. If a young man doesn't realize consequences, both good and bad, are inevitable, then one day that young man may make a decision that could cost him his life. This is much more important than any football title. CTT has to sleep at night too, you know.

Been a member forever, seldom chime in but tonight is the night. I have often said "I would rather win 8 - 9 games with young men of character then win the SEC with a bunch of thugs." I will most surely applaud Coach Tubs after the LSU game win or lose. Maybe I will have something worthy to say in another year or so. Boy am I pumped for this weekend. It is amazing how many friends you have when you have an extra ticket. LOL

"I have often said "I would rather win 8 - 9 games with young men of character then win the SEC with a bunch of thugs."

Not to pat ourselves on the back too much, but that is the difference between most of :au: and 95% of Div. 1 football, my friend. It's the foundation Shug created and why we show the Blackney's and Frosts the door.

THE AUBURN CREED

I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.

I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully.

I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men.

I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports to develop these qualities.

I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all.

I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all.

I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

And because Auburn men and women believe in these things, I believe in Auburn and love it.

-George Petrie (1945)

Do you think they would understand if we sent them a copy of this?

I believe this is what sets us apart from the rest!

copy of my email to Mr. Epps

Dear Mr. Epps

I just wanted to drop you a short note to take a small measure of exception with your above mentioned article. As a 2nd generation season ticket holder I believe I can speak for many of the "Auburn Faithful" by saying that very few of us will take fault with our coach for the suspension of two players in a very critical game, win or lose. I invite you to visit the "aunation board" and view some of the discussion your article has caused.

Here is your link:

http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28628

If you do not have the time then please view the "Auburn Creed" and it will give you a great deal of insight as to why we fee we are just a little different.

Here is your link:

http://www.auburn.edu/main/auburn_creed.html

Respectfully Yours,

P. Kyle Cornelison Jr.

Mike Shula disciplines on an as needed basis, if he needs the player he doesn't do squat. Tommy discipines on a you better watch your @## or you won't be playing, he runs a classy program. I don't blame him and if we have to have those 2 to win, then we shouldn't be where we are today.

I think the point to the article isn't slamming Tuberville for his suspensions or if people will react positively or not. He is pointing out that everyone is praising Tuberville for his suspensions now, but if he loses the game then that praising will stop. If he wins the game, people will continue the praising and praise how great of a coach he is for not needing two starters to beat one of the best teams in the nation.

Basically - fans are fickle and all that matters in the end is that they want their team to win. Yes they want a respectable program, but they want to win more than anything. A nice balance would be great, but wins weigh more than respect. We talk about how Auburn went 13-0 two years ago, not about that LB that was kicked off the team that year (or even if it was a year before then, just go with me on the point I am trying to make)

Most Auburn fans I know don't really think CTT is making a mistake if he keeps them out to the game. They would rather stick to his principles. So, the author if this article has got it all wrong, which shows me he knows nothing about AU fans.

I would have liked to have seen them back for the LSU game, but I don't see where having them or not having them is going to make any impact either way. Don't get me wrong, I think they both are good players and contribute to the team.

Sears is the only starter and also the only one of the two that has played in any games. Blackmon is a redshirt freshman, so it is not like we are losing experience by not playing him. Sears has not played in a game for like 3 or 4 games now, dating back to last year and he is going to need to knock a little gameday rust off.

So, if we were to lose to LSU, anybody that blames the loss on CTT not playing these two, well, let's just say those people are complete idiots. They don't really know anything about the makeup of the team as far as those two guys go, because Sears is the only guy we are missing because of his experience, but as good as he is, he would probably be a little off on his timing if he was to start as compared to his replacement. He would need to be worked into the game and then get a game or two under his belt before he is probably back to his old self of strinking fear into opposing QBs and RBs.

http://www.tfponline.com/QuickHeadlines.as...%26ID%3DAr02501

Shula merits criticism for lax discipline

Darren Epps Commentary

Editor’s Note: Read Darren Epps blog on Tennessee football at www.tfponline.comwww. tfponline. com You want to chastise Mike Shula for letting Juwan Simpson play in Alabama’s first two games. You want to denounce his cryptic suspension of receiver DJ Hall.

In both cases, the criticism is deserved. Shula blew an opportunity to establish discipline and set a poor example for his 18-to-22-year-old players.

But then you see Ohio State receivers Ted Ginn Jr.

and Anthony Gonzalez running free in the Texas secondary, trampling on the Longhorns’ national title aspirations, and you understand. Earlier in the week, Texas coach Mack Brown suspended starting cornerback Tarell Brown and backup defensive back Tyrell Gatewood for the Ohio State game — the Game of the Century until the next one — last Saturday.

Police arrested them earlier in the week on misdemeanor drug possession, and a gun possession for Brown, the same charges levied against Simpson. Coach Brown suspended both, Ohio State’s Troy Smith threw for 269 yards and two touchdowns and Texas lost 24-7. "They did miss the game of the year," said Coach Brown, noting he did not regret the decision.

Months from now, when Ohio State is preparing for the national championship game as the Longhorns ready themselves for the Fiesta Bowl, very few will remember Smith picked apart a Texas secondary missing its star corner.

Just like very few are even aware UAB nearly upset Oklahoma with Conference USA preseason defensive player of the year Larry McSwain suspended. If McSwain played, maybe Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson wouldn’t have scored two touchdowns and UAB would have earned a monumental win.

And this weekend, if LSU runs over Auburn, no one in blue and orange will applaud Tommy Tuberville for suspending linebackers Kevin Sears and Tray Blackmon for a third game.

Coaches are judged by wins and losses. Shula seems to understand that.

But what a young coach like Shula fails to understand are the ramifications for lax discipline in an age when more and more athletes are raised in single-parent homes without much guidance. (See Tennessee and Phillip Fulmer, 2005).

The moment Simpson strutted onto the field against Hawaii was an embarrassing one for Alabama. And Hall’s explanation last Saturday for his absence in the Hawaii game made Shula look foolish.

"Before the game, I tried to run on my foot and Coach asked me, ‘Can you run?’" Hall said. "I was like, ‘I could try.’ He was like, ‘I need more than that.’" Shula insisted he suspended Hall.

"I think that was maybe before the game," Hall said. "I didn’t know it was going to be for that game. He came out and told me. He told me to still go out there and get ready to play and see how I do in warmups. I went out there and tried to see what I could do in warmups. It didn’t work out."

Translation: When Hall clearly couldn’t run a post route, Shula enacted his onegame suspension instead of waiting for SEC play. What a great life lesson for the 20-year-old Hall and his young teammates. Don’t think Shula’s decisions won’t be discussed by opposing coaches on the recruiting trail.

Of course, Alabama held Hawaii’s potent offense to 17 points and clung to a win with Simpson at linebacker. And a healthy and suspension-free Hall caught the game-tying 31-yard touchdown catch against Vanderbilt. Alabama, though unimpressively, is 2-0. But Shula sent a message to his players: You can carry around guns and drugs; just don’t bring them on the field when you start the next game. And if you’re due a one-game suspension, he’ll wait until you’re too injured to play. Some discipline.

Of course, Shula is still in contention for his first SEC championship. That’s the short-term benefit.

I call total :bs: on that one. Auburn fans may be upset, but I doubt we really carp about Sears and Blackmon's suspensions. If anything, I think we support CTT all the more. It wasnt CTT that let the team down...It is CTT trying to shore the team up.

Hats off to Mack Brown for doing it right.

The author is either a bammer homer or a complete idiot. Unlike many, if not most, Div ! schools in the US, AU is doing the right thing. I guarantee that LSU would not! Latest US News survey of Natonal Universities: AU #88 and first tier...LSU? No real number but rated in the 3rd tier! So while AU atheletes were looking for crip courses to finish out or boost their GPA, apparently all of the LSU course offerings were crip courses and that is the rub! We lead the nation in the # of graduates playing for their teams Let's look at discipline...just look at the 2 AU LB's vs the uat LB and how that was handled...no comparison. AU is concerned about a winning program and spuat and LSU are concerned with just winning.

TJ that was way beyond the call. I think we are havinga great time with the LSU folks this year. I want it to go that way too.

What a crock. Tubs is to be NOTHING but applauded for his handling of these kids. We don't want to be "Thug U"...let the other teams have their win at all cost mentality...we build character and lives at AU...and WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!

:au::homer:

I'm sure there would be a few Auburn "fans" that would blame the suspensions if we lose due to weak LB play, but most real Auburn fans judge a coach by more than just win-loss record. And most parents of prospective recruits do too. We don't want to be another FSU/Miami/Bama/"Criminal U."

Ok... do you guys read the article? Or do you just make an assumption and pretend that you are reading the article - only like two of you I believe have actually read it and understood it. So the following does not apply to the couple of you:

Nowhere in this article does it say any Auburn fans would ever criticize Tuberville for suspending those players. Nowhere ... if you can tell me where it says "fans in orange and blue will criticize Tuberville if he loses for suspending the two LB's" I would be very impressed because you have a skill that involves seeing something that isn't there.

All the author said was that the fans won't be all "Good for Tuberville for suspending them" after the game if Auburn were to lose. It doesn't mean some won't - but the vast majority of the fans will not be praising (and if you aren't praising, that doesn't necessarily mean you are criticizing) Tuberville.

And how can you call the author a Bammer? The point to the article is how ashamed he is of Shula.

:no::no::no:

your posts never cease to amaze me... at all

the article says... no one in orange and blue will applaud CTT..... so if they aren't applauding him then please oh mighty assumption God... tell us what we are to assume from the article.

The way i see it, we've won two games while maintaining great discipline in the program. Dede and Johnson are playing great ball. We just have to toughen up in the middle. Our LB situation is fine right now and will only improve when those guys come back. So having said all that I will finish with this... Win or Lose saturday vs. LSU, I will be applauding CTT for running a very classy, well managed and disciplined program.

WAR DAMN EAGLE!! and Beat LSWho??

Reference was made in the article to Mack Brown suspending the defensive backs, giving you the impression that CMB did the noble thing sacrificed a win for discipline. If I recall correctly, Texas scored a grand total of 7 points on thier own home field against the Buckeyes. Neither of those guys played on the offense.

Sears and Blackmon would give us depth at LB, which would definitely be a help. But, I didn't see any depth charts coming into the fall that had either of these young men listed as starters. Everything I saw had Dede, Herring and Johnson as our 3 starters. Love to have them playing but it's just not that big of an issue.

The outcome of the LSU game should have nothing to do with whether or not, Tuberville made the right decision. You either agree with it or not. IMO, he's the captain of the ship and he should know how to handle his team and players.

Guest Tigrinum Major

I agree with both suspensions, but I am also antsy about seeing Blackmon on the field. Everytime I see that big hit from his high school days, I get fired up.

As far as our starting LBs, Herring and Dede are probably two of the smartest players on the team. Neither one of them will be unseated as a starter when the other two come back. Merrill Johnson has done a great job so far. When the other two come back, they will provide some awesome depth. My question is whether or not Craig Stevens redshirts if Balckmon and Sears had not been suspended. He has been pushed into a backup role quicker than expected.

my beef with tubbs isn't that we're going to be short two players (both of which were running 1st string before their suspensions were announced). i think both guys would help because they'd really strengthen our rotations and add some size to the linebacking corp, BUT i don't think it's any huge advantage that we'll really miss if we shorten our rotations a bit to play the best guys a few more snaps.

i just think he's overkilling his point. there is a line between discipline and meanness, and i'm not so sure that tubbs hasn't crossed it, at least in kevin's case. see, he's a senior with nfl potential. he started at outside backer for an undefeated team. he moved inside and won the job for a top 5 preseason team. he only has a limited number of time to show scouts that he can play outside. now i'm not even beginning to say that you should play a guy just because he needs to improve his draft stock, but if you've read any of the numerous articles written on these two guys, i think you'd be hard pressed to find a guy that seems more apoligetic or more dedicated ("i never thought of transferring. i'm an Auburn man.") or more saddened ("i can see the final games of my career slipping away.") by the whole situation.

there is a point to prove here. we had three guys get arrested for alcohol related issues in just a few months, and tubby wants the whole team to unquestionably understand that we don't tolerate that. i get it, and i agree with it. i just think in sears' case especially (suspended for the iron bowl immediately after the arrest last season, out for the bowl game, out the first two of this season, and working on the scout team for the last month) the point has been more than made.

keeping blackmon out has the benefit of disciplining a future leader on this team and possibly avoiding the next lamarcus rowell. keeping sears out is just punishing a vet that has paid his dues in the program, started every game for the best season in school history, and has served what seems like ample time over the course of two seasons.

i think tubbs is making a mistake, not because he's risking a lose in a big game, but because it seems like he's punishing a guy for the sake of punishment. there is no extra lesson to be learned for kevin. there is no extra message to send to the team (a junior missing the iron bowl and a bowl game then lining up for 3 weeks with the scout team as a senior while the team opens on national tv pretty much gets the point across). it just seems mean-spirited at this point, at least to me. that's why i don't back tubbs on this one. not because of the threat of one loss.

So you change the standard based on Sears being older? IF anything, in my book his punishement should be greater due to him knowing better. I just don't even know where to begin.

my beef with tubbs isn't that we're going to be short two players (both of which were running 1st string before their suspensions were announced). i think both guys would help because they'd really strengthen our rotations and add some size to the linebacking corp, BUT i don't think it's any huge advantage that we'll really miss if we shorten our rotations a bit to play the best guys a few more snaps.

i just think he's overkilling his point. there is a line between discipline and meanness, and i'm not so sure that tubbs hasn't crossed it, at least in kevin's case. see, he's a senior with nfl potential. he started at outside backer for an undefeated team. he moved inside and won the job for a top 5 preseason team. he only has a limited number of time to show scouts that he can play outside. now i'm not even beginning to say that you should play a guy just because he needs to improve his draft stock, but if you've read any of the numerous articles written on these two guys, i think you'd be hard pressed to find a guy that seems more apoligetic or more dedicated ("i never thought of transferring. i'm an Auburn man.") or more saddened ("i can see the final games of my career slipping away.") by the whole situation.

there is a point to prove here. we had three guys get arrested for alcohol related issues in just a few months, and tubby wants the whole team to unquestionably understand that we don't tolerate that. i get it, and i agree with it. i just think in sears' case especially (suspended for the iron bowl immediately after the arrest last season, out for the bowl game, out the first two of this season, and working on the scout team for the last month) the point has been more than made.

keeping blackmon out has the benefit of disciplining a future leader on this team and possibly avoiding the next lamarcus rowell. keeping sears out is just punishing a vet that has paid his dues in the program, started every game for the best season in school history, and has served what seems like ample time over the course of two seasons.

i think tubbs is making a mistake, not because he's risking a lose in a big game, but because it seems like he's punishing a guy for the sake of punishment. there is no extra lesson to be learned for kevin. there is no extra message to send to the team (a junior missing the iron bowl and a bowl game then lining up for 3 weeks with the scout team as a senior while the team opens on national tv pretty much gets the point across). it just seems mean-spirited at this point, at least to me. that's why i don't back tubbs on this one. not because of the threat of one loss.

I disagree first off not you or I know the exact specifics of what Kevin did or what might have been told to to the team beforehand. If Kevin was really worried about his draft stock I guess he shouldnt have gotten in a car drunk.....what if he had killed someone??? Your explanation is the exact problem I have with professional athletes today....they are treated as gods and most of the time are not held accountable for their actions. If you or I had done some of the things these athletes have done we would be in jail...No sir I do not want to become Florida State University. I applaud Tuberville for his disciplne!!! :au:

Guest Tigrinum Major

there is no extra message to send to the team (a junior missing the iron bowl and a bowl game then lining up for 3 weeks with the scout team as a senior while the team opens on national tv pretty much gets the point across). it just seems mean-spirited at this point, at least to me. that's why i don't back tubbs on this one. not because of the threat of one loss.

He played in the Alabama game. He did not travel to Georgia and also missed the bowl game, but he played in the Alabama game.

If we should lose to LSU, then Tubs definitely should have played both Sears and Blackmon. If we win, then he definitely should not have played them. :P:P

Archived