Big 12 schools finished the non-conference schedule 0-9 against ranked opponents.

DKW 86

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports...bc/4220357.html

Coming up empty

There has been talk that the Big 12 is experiencing a down year. Here's further proof: Big 12 schools finished the non-conference schedule 0-9 against ranked opponents.

The conference came close to knocking off a pair of ranked teams, with Oklahoma losing to Oregon 34-33 and Colorado nearly upsetting Georgia 14-13.

Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy isn't ready to say it's a down year for the conference.

"What's the number of Big 12 schools playing for the national championship the last five years?" Gundy asked, referring to Big 12 teams having played in five of the last six title games. "I think that pretty much speaks for itself. I don't think the reputation of the Big 12 will suffer any."

What an idiotic comment by Mike Gundy. The question wasn't who's got the best conference the last 5 or 6 years, it was regarding the conference this year as compared to previous years. The numbers speak for themselves. Still, I want his team to beat down OU, just to show them that the Oregon loss, despite being undeserved, was at a minimim foreshadowing.

And only Texas and Oklahoma have gone to the national title. Two storied programs so that is not saying alot for the rest of the conference. The other 10 teams have been mediocre to bad for awhile now. I think Nebraska is on the rise again, Texas Tech has been solid, Texas A&M should be a powerhouse, but isn't right now, and Colorado will rebound at some point with Dan Hawkins, but the rest of the Big 12 is just bad. Let's see, Kansas, Iowa State, Missouri, Baylor, Kansas St., (who's the other team?) are all teams that have struggled for awhile or have completely fallen off the map. I happen to like Mizzou and notice they have started the season strong so maybe they are good, but I think we can agree that they have never been a national power. Why is Iowa St. in the Big 12? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Archived