Spurrier Confuses Me

PChamp119

I will admit that I stood in the student section of the game yesterday and was just in disbelief after the game. I was relieved that Auburn had won and felt lucky. I felt USC gave us their best effort and when their team walked off the field, like I cheered for Auburn when they walked off the field, I applauded their team for their effort because they deserved it.

Spurrier says (this is directed to his fans btw) to 'not clap if we lose.' I see his point, but I just don't agree with it. He also said in the AP article on the game:

It's like I told the guys, we're not good enough to beat a team like Auburn," Spurrier said.

Just doesn't seem like the right attitude and if they play Florida or Tennessee like they played us, they definately have the talent to beat those teams.

"It's like I told the guys, we're not good enough to beat a team like Auburn," Spurrier said

Spurrier

I will admit that I stood in the student section of the game yesterday and was just in disbelief after the game. I was relieved that Auburn had won and felt lucky. I felt USC gave us their best effort and when their team walked off the field, like I cheered for Auburn when they walked off the field, I applauded their team for their effort because they deserved it.

Spurrier says (this is directed to his fans btw) to 'not clap if we lose.' I see his point, but I just don't agree with it. He also said in the AP article on the game:

It's like I told the guys, we're not good enough to beat a team like Auburn," Spurrier said.

Just doesn't seem like the right attitude and if they play Florida or Tennessee like they played us, they definately have the talent to beat those teams.

"It's like I told the guys, we're not good enough to beat a team like Auburn," Spurrier said

Spurrier

Whether it confuses you are not, Spurrier has a little experience with this coaching thing.

Spurrier is not into moral victories. But what does he know? :rolleyes: When Spurrier got back into that lockeroom, just going by what I have heard what ex-players have said about him, he probably gave them the praise they deserved for hanging with us, but it would have been in moderation.

I think it is funny how som think he is cocky or arrogant or has a bad attitude, but you have never heard any of his ex-players say anything bad about him after they have left. I have read where several have said that he is not the guy you see on the sidelines all the time and he has was more then a coach to them at times.

Sounds alot like CTT. CTT is not into moral victories either and he is more then a coach to alot of guys. He also believes in discipline like Spurrier does. But, those comparisons end when you see their sideline behaviors. They are like night and day when it comes to that. I did see CTT get really fired up at one point last night about a call. To get him that fired up, you must have blown a call big time.

Spurrier is not into moral victories. But what does he know? :rolleyes: When Spurrier got back into that lockeroom, just going by what I have heard what ex-players have said about him, he probably gave them the praise they deserved for hanging with us, but it would have been in moderation.

I think it is funny how som think he is cocky or arrogant or has a bad attitude, but you have never heard any of his ex-players say anything bad about him after they have left. I have read where several have said that he is not the guy you see on the sidelines all the time and he has was more then a coach to them at times.

Sounds alot like CTT. CTT is not into moral victories either and he is more then a coach to alot of guys. He also believes in discipline like Spurrier does. But, those comparisons end when you see their sideline behaviors. They are like night and day when it comes to that. I did see CTT get really fired up at one point last night about a call. To get him that fired up, you must have blown a call big time.

I used to really dislike Spurrier over the faces and the visor thing, but he doesn't whine much or make excuses when his teams lose and he has earned my respect. He's pretty straightforward and to the point.

As a Carolina fan I agree and disagree. I disagree because our boys left it all out on the field, they played amazing and they deserved the applause they got. I agree with him because if we were where he wanted us to be as a program we wouldnt have cheered after the game. Just like if you guys would have lost, you wouldnt have given your team a standing ovation after the game. He is trying to build this program the only way he knows how, and that method has worked in the past. I will never 2nd guess anything that Spurrier says or does. If I did he could just hold up a big ring and say, do you want to 2nd guess that? The attitude he had when he made that statement is the attitude we are all hoping will put us among the elite's.

Putting myself in the SC fans' shoes, I'd clap my heart out. We just went toe to toe with the #2 team in the nation. Being an Auburn fan, I'd still clap my heart out because of the intensity and effort by the SC team. They played us good, and they only made it worse for everyone else coming up on our schedule :lol:

Looks like a new power is rising in the East. This year has gotta be the renaissance of the SEC East with Florida, Georgia, Tennessee and South Carolina.

He noticed it a season ago after South Carolina lost to Clemson 13-9 at Williams-Brice and fans cheered the Gamecocks for the effort. "They thought we were going to get clobbered. We didn't get clobbered so that's OK," Spurrier said. "That's not OK."

Spurrier says if the Gamecocks are ever going to rise to championship level, they should expect more from themselves than simply staying close to top teams. Spurrier thinks the fans have to expect the same thing.

How do you become one of the best collegiate football coaches in his era? Accept nothing but the best. No moral victories, couldas, wouldas... :thumbsup:

I live in South Carolina and have worn my :au: shirts since attending the game in Columbia--Thus I have heard from all kinds of SC fans. Lots of comments about "we almost beat the number two team, you guy's almost lost to us--we won a moral victory, We could have won with better calls etc . the attitude seems to be we are happy with losing as long as we almost won. I at first couldn't believe the Spurrier comments, but after hearing the BS from the :usc: fans--They are happy with not getting blown out and only just losing .They do need to change that attitude just as we have done at :au: .Yes :au: football is not more important than the :au: family. But we are no longer content with a loss that is a moral victory. I think Spurrier is trying to teach the :usc: fans the same attitude. War Eagle

While I understand the sentiment behind what Spurrier is trying to do, this is one of the things I VERY much dislike and disrespect about him. You don't instill a winning attitude by not acknowleging when your men have fought their hearts out and come up short. I have seen countless tape of Pat Dye from the early eighties when he was bringing Auburn to national prominence and out of the shadow of UA. His first two years they had several "moral" victories. However, Dye didn't act as though they were unworthy of praise. Heck, he cried with them. He told everyone who would listen that he was proud of them and the effort they put forth. He went on record as saying that his favorite AU team was his first one which had a losing record. He also told them if they kept playing that way, they would be in a position to come out winners, and they did. Spurrier's methods may produce a winning team but I don't think it sends a good message to the players. I would hope its not the case, but I got the distinct feeling when he was at UF that Spurrier couldn't care less about his players beyond what they could produce for him on the field. He has always said that he doesn't like the recruiting process. That should tell you something right there. If your kid had a choice to play for either Spurrier or, say, Mark Richt, which one would you rather have him play for? I can guarantee my choice wouldn't be Spurrier.

I acknowledge and respect his football knowledge and coaching ability. I don't think those things are in question. He did a brilliant job on Thursday night. I'm sure he will have USC in the thick of things pretty soon. However, I still feel uneasy about the way he handles his players.

Guest Tigrinum Major

How do you become one of the best collegiate football coaches in his era? Accept nothing but the best. No moral victories, couldas, wouldas... :thumbsup:

Agreeance. I've always liked Spurrier. He has a smart aleck way of looking at things, which is always a plus.

Archived