What Ben Stien thinks

AUman43

(CBS) Sunday Morning contributor Ben Stein thinks it is time for President Bush to admit that Iraq is a disaster.

Times are very tough in Iraq and if I was still a speechwriter for the President, like I was for Mr. Nixon and Mr. Ford, this is what I would suggest he say:

My fellow Americans, I have some sobering news. It is my duty, above all, to protect the nation. I sincerely believed I was doing that when I ordered the invasion of Iraq. I still believe Saddam Hussein was the most dangerous man in the world. But it is clear to me now that things are not working out well in Iraq. Despite the incredible confidence, bravery and sacrifice of our men and women on the ground there, Iraq is still a violent, largely out of control nation. We may be making more terrorists than we destroy. "Quagmire" comes sadly to mind. It is clear that change must be made. Therefore, I have this morning accepted Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld's resignation with sincere thanks for his service to the nation. He will be replaced by a truly heroic American, Senator John McCain of Arizona.

Despite my best intentions, I made mistakes in Iraq and mine is the responsibility. Good men and women died and hard-earned tax money was lost. Fine young men and women are crippled and disabled, which is a tragedy. It is time for a change. Therefore, I am convening an official, national, bi-partisan, blue ribbon commission composed of Democrats, Independents and Republicans, civilian and military, to start meeting at once and give me a recommendation in one month as to what our Iraq policy should be. All options are on the table. All.

I want to close with this thought. I am just a man. I have no miraculous powers. I have no special pipeline to God. Like all presidents from Jefferson and Lincoln onwards — and believe me, I know I'm not in their league — I make mistakes and sometimes good people die because of them. I am deeply sorry. As we re-examine our policy, I would ask that you all pray for us to make the right decision. May God continue to bless us all. Thank you.

©MMVI, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.

I totally agree.....what do ya'll think?

A little honesty would be nice.

Again, I'm a conservative. But I'm not a Kool Ade drinker. I opposed the Iraq adventure from the onset as tangential to the war on terror. To this day, the Bush Administration has not provided a convincing motive for our invasion. Then to compound the civil chaos in that country caused by the invasion, we totally dismantled the Iraqi army and the Iraqi civil service. Yes, they were mostly corrupt vestiges of a brutal regime, but they could have been reformed. As it stands the current insurgency is a direct result of the complete meltdown of society in Iraq.

Nevertheless, now that we're there, we cannot extricate ourselves by leaving. At the same time, a radically different strategy is in order.

It would never, never, ever, ever happen. It's too close to an admission of being wrong.

I agree with Al. Politicians almost never tyake responsibility nor ever admit they were wrong.

I don't feel like he was totally wrong. Iraq is not the total $hithole that the media would have you believe. Sure there are delicate negotiations going on. There are still terrorists from outside the nation coming in and causing issues. There are religious factions causing unrest. Unrest that will have to be dealt with by the Iraqi government, not us. They are getting there. All of you who are ready to call Iraq a failure, surely have no idea what's actually happening on the ground.

the Iraqi government and the Iraqi Army are growing in size and strength every day. Right now we are the lead forces because we have the experience. Slowly, the Iraqi's will begin to lead and take over that rolll. When they reach that level of confidence, you will see a different approach from the Iraqi government. Ther is such animosity from the Iraqi's with our presence there. But whn they have to fight their own government, things will change. These things cannot and will not happen overnight. We are continuing to fight terrorists that would cause us harm and insugents that wish for the Iraqi government to fail. Both of these fights are very important to the success of the total war on terror. But Iraq is not a failure. It is a work in progress. It will take time and sacrifice. But the endgame will prove a safer world. I would hate to see any of these fast food analyst go through a tough time in their own life. Because the way they look at things would be a good indictor of the rate of suicide that would occur during those tough times. We used to be anation of "When times get tough, the tough get going." Now it's more like "When times get tough, find somebody to blame it on and hope it goes away."

I don't feel like he was totally wrong. Iraq is not the total $hithole that the media would have you believe. Sure there are delicate negotiations going on. There are still terrorists from outside the nation coming in and causing issues. There are religious factions causing unrest. Unrest that will have to be dealt with by the Iraqi government, not us. They are getting there. All of you who are ready to call Iraq a failure, surely have no idea what's actually happening on the ground.

the Iraqi government and the Iraqi Army are growing in size and strength every day. Right now we are the lead forces because we have the experience. Slowly, the Iraqi's will begin to lead and take over that rolll. When they reach that level of confidence, you will see a different approach from the Iraqi government. Ther is such animosity from the Iraqi's with our presence there. But whn they have to fight their own government, things will change. These things cannot and will not happen overnight. We are continuing to fight terrorists that would cause us harm and insugents that wish for the Iraqi government to fail. Both of these fights are very important to the success of the total war on terror. But Iraq is not a failure. It is a work in progress. It will take time and sacrifice. But the endgame will prove a safer world. I would hate to see any of these fast food analyst go through a tough time in their own life. Because the way they look at things would be a good indictor of the rate of suicide that would occur during those tough times. We used to be anation of "When times get tough, the tough get going." Now it's more like "When times get tough, find somebody to blame it on and hope it goes away."

I think you need to read more books. :roflol:

Archived