Tuberville on the BCS

AUChizad

Link

AU coach sees Louisville success causing change

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Charles Goldberg

Birmingham News

AUBURN -- This can't be right. Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville didn't really say Louisville and arch-enemy Bobby Petrino could wind up playing for the national championship.

Did he?

He seemed to say it Wednesday. But there's always a method to Tuberville's madness, and this is the latest: He figures if Louisville goes unbeaten and sneaks into the Bowl Championship Series national title game, there will be enough questions from the power conferences that somebody will fix the otherwise non-existent playoff system.

Tuberville, staying loyal to his conference, would rather somebody like Auburn, Florida or Arkansas draw the winner of the game between Ohio State and Michigan in the national championship game.

Isn't it a little ironic, though, that Auburn could be shut out of the BCS title game for the second time in three years if Louisville makes it? And to miss it because of Petrino? That's the guy who almost replaced Tuberville after the 2003 season.

But a point of clarity is in order here. No, Tuberville doesn't necessarily think Louisville should make the BCS title game over some of the one-loss power teams, especially a one-loss team from the Southeastern Conference. But the idea of having Louisville make the title game after playing a seemingly light Big East schedule might force football into at least discussing a modified playoff.

"I'm throwing it back on the system," he said. "Our system needs to learn how to deal with something like that."

But Tuberville would still give the nod to Louisville over the loser of the Ohio State-Michigan game, a game in which some pundits have already decided the two teams should simply turn around and play again in the title game.

ESPN came calling to ask Tuberville that question Wednesday as his No.5 Tigers, who are sporting a 9-1 record and remain a BCS player, continued to prepare for Saturday's game against traditional rival Georgia.

"I would hope that Auburn would have the votes to get to the national championship game," Tuberville said later. "But that wasn't the question. The question was: `Does the loser of the Ohio State-Michigan game have a chance at a rematch in the title game?' The answer is no. Why should they get a chance at a rematch if Louisville goes undefeated or if Florida or Auburn play in the SEC championship game?

"But the system isn't set up to determine if one conference is tougher than the other. It is set up to play two teams that are undefeated at the end of the year. That's the way it is set up, and I don't care what they say.

"That's why Louisville could make it if they go undefeated. You couldn't ask of them anymore: `If they win out, they should have the opportunity to play.' That's what they say. That's the system."

It's a system that Tuberville doesn't especially like. Tuberville has the right to question it, in fact, be bitter about it. Auburn had a 12-0 record when the BCS bids went out in the 2003 season. His team finished 13-0, but the Tigers watched the national championship game from the sidelines. Oklahoma tanked the big game that night, losing to Southern California 55-19. Tuberville knows Auburn would have at least put up a fight.

If Auburn didn't deserve to play in the title game that year, Tuberville knows the Ohio State-Michigan loser won't deserve it, either.

"Not a rematch. Nobody wants that," he said.

Pretty much exactly how I feel about the situation.

Link

nobody wants to see :no: a rematch between Ohio-Mich, except a bunch of jokers from the espn commentary team......

I would love to see a rematch... :au: vs. Florida in the SECCG. Only way possible for us to play in the national championship game. Too bad Arkansas has to have a meltdown first.

Link

nobody wants to see :no: a rematch between Ohio-Mich, except a bunch of jokers from the espn commentary team......

I would love to see a rematch... :au: vs. Florida in the SECCG. Only way possible for us to play in the national championship game. Too bad Arkansas has to have a meltdown first.

I actually think you are mistaken. The best chance for Auburn is for Arkansas to beat Tenn but lose to LSU, then go on to beat Florida in the SECCG. That gives all teams in the SEC two losses accept for hoperfully Auburn. Then...we would want USC to beat Cal and Notre Dame but lose to Oregon. That would give all of those teams two losses. We then would have to hope that someone could knockoff Texas along the way, which I personally don't think is that far fetched. I also think voters would give us the benefit because Texas already had a chance to beat Ohio st at home and many would say that someone else deserves a shot. This is the easiest way for us to make it.

If we make it to the SECCG, and beat Florida, it would gaurantee us a BCS a bowl, but not likely the MNCgame. Believe it or not, I think the teams that play fewer games will have an advantage, especially those that show on the scoreboard down the stretch that they are for real. Remember, Texas will likely have to play Nebraska again, and I think Nebraska showed that have at least the ability to hang with UT.

I think what Mike is referring to though, is the only way we have a chance is to have another win over a top 5 team on our resume. Without it, wins over UGA and Bama (should those two things occur) don't do much for us given the current state of those two teams. Even though it didn't insure anything when we beat UT for a second time, I think UF would be a different story. Plus, there wouldn't be two clear cut undefeated "Name" teams in front of us.

I think the reality is that unless we get to the SECCG and beat UF again, the pollsters would rather see Texas, USC or even UF over us.

I actually think you are mistaken. The best chance for Auburn is for Arkansas to beat Tenn but lose to LSU, then go on to beat Florida in the SECCG. That gives all teams in the SEC two losses accept for hoperfully Auburn.

Same thing would happen if Arky loses to UT & LSU, then we beat UF in the SECCG except it would actually be better for us in the polls.

I actually think you are mistaken. The best chance for Auburn is for Arkansas to beat Tenn but lose to LSU, then go on to beat Florida in the SECCG. That gives all teams in the SEC two losses accept for hoperfully Auburn.

Same thing would happen if Arky loses to UT & LSU, then we beat UF in the SECCG except it would actually be better for us in the polls.

Who knows the best scenario? We just have to play our game, win the next two, and see what happens. I just want a chance this year, unlike in '04. What else can we ask for?

Yep.

WAR EAGLE!!! BEAT :uga: !!!

GO :ut: (AHHHH, that HURTS . . . :angry: ) Beat :arky:

Archived