Can you hear the seams ripping?

Tiger in Spain

The sweet sound of the Democratic party tearing itself apart. Like a pack of hounds fighting over a ham bone.

If Howard Dean wins the Democratic presidential nomination, he may have to campaign for black votes without any help from Al Sharpton.

The Rev is furious at the Doc for invading his home turf Tuesday, when Dean went uptown to receive former Vice President Al Gore's endorsement at the National Black Theatre on 125th St. Sharpton didn't appreciate the coronation - or the venue.

"The day is past when black folks can be delivered," he said in a telephone interview. He called the Dean-Gore summit "drive-by campaigning in Harlem."

And he's firing back.

"Howard Dean is a conservative," Sharpton says. "He's supported three-strikes-and-you're-out sentencing. He called welfare recipients 'lazy people' with no work ethic. Now he wants to keep troops in Iraq for years. How are folks in the civil rights community supposed to support things like that?"

NY Daily News

"He called the Dean-Gore summit "drive-by campaigning in Harlem". I like that one.

""Howard Dean is a conservative," Sharpton says". :blink:

Rep. Charles Rangel said yesterday Howard Dean has weak support in the black community and charged that former Vice President Al Gore "polarized" the campaign by dropping into an event in Harlem to endorse the presidential candidate.

"I thought that Gore, like Clinton, would not have wanted to polarize the primary," said Rangel, who said the former vice president did not reach out to him before arranging the event in Rangel's congressional district.

"Nobody told me a thing," said Rangel.

He also poked fun at Dean for getting hardly any black supporters to his announcement yesterday, even though it was held in a majority-black neighborhood.

NY Post

Sharpton and Rangel's comments are yet more evidence the black community is becoming increasingly uneasy with Democratic politicians and their faux concerns for their plight.

"The Irreverent Al Sharptongue" is nothing more than a circus clown, a headline monger willing to say or do anything to call attention to himself. If he were white and used the sort of antics that he does, he would attract no more attention than Shorty Price did in Alabama in the 60's. He is no more concerned about the plight of "his people" than the democratic leaders who parade around in Harlem for an event and photo op such as the one mentioned here.

How many remember the Tawana Brawley fiasco that brought him to the national spotlight? Such outrage and indignation had never been seen, but when the whole thing was exposed as a hoax, there was never an apology or any regret from him. He got what he wanted...... exposure.... and once that was accomplished, those who were accused, whose lives were disrupted were tossed aside in the rubble. I believe that the majority of Americans, white, black or of any other race see him for what he is and he will never be a force in politics outside of a his little sphere of influence among a few inner city neighborhoods.

"The Irreverent Al Sharptongue" is nothing more than a circus clown, a headline monger willing to say or do anything to call attention to himself. If he were white and used the sort of antics that he does, he would attract no more attention than Shorty Price did in Alabama in the 60's. He is no more concerned about the plight of "his people" than the democratic leaders who parade around in Harlem for an event and photo op such as the one mentioned here.

How many remember the Tawana Brawley fiasco that brought him to the national spotlight? Such outrage and indignation had never been seen, but when the whole thing was exposed as a hoax, there was never an apology or any regret from him. He got what he wanted...... exposure.... and once that was accomplished, those who were accused, whose lives were disrupted were tossed aside in the rubble. I believe that the majority of Americans, white, black or of any other race see him for what he is and he will never be a force in politics outside of a his little sphere of influence among a few inner city neighborhoods.

I liken it to walking past a big dog fight. You hate to see these animals hurting each other, but you can't help but watch them tear each other apart.

I'm actually torn on this topic. I like seeing these idiots whack each other in the knee caps, but I can't help but wonder what magnitude of outrage would have been unleashed had Dean (or any of the other white candidates) told Sharpton or Rangel to stay out of predominately white Vermont.

If you think that, once the primary is over and we have a nominee, the Democrats are not going to unite behind him (or her) then I think that you are sadly underestimating an awful lot of people's resolve to rid this country of W!!!

If you think that, once the primary is over and we have a nominee, the Democrats are not going to unite behind him (or her) then I think that you are sadly underestimating an awful lot of people's resolve to rid this country of W!!!

TigerAl, I often respect your opinion, even though I often disagree with it. At least yours are worth debating and are not made without ignorance and reasearch. However, I do believe you are going with your heart too much on this. :lol: First, I don't think the majority of the country is wanting to get rid of Bush. The numbers really do not show the support for that. Of course, poll numbers are so inaccurate, who knows what the real numbers could be, so there is a very slight chance you could be right. However, going by all the people I work with and talk too, even people that normally vote democrat (such as my father-n-law and his mother), they seem to be considering voting for Bush, because they don't see a democratic candidate that can do the job any better then Bush. My father-in-law has always voted democrat and says he will vote for Bush and is sick of the way the democratic party seems to handle itself. His 85 year old mother, also a lifelong democrat, is saying thing same thing. She is against the war, but does not think any of the democratic candidates can do any better and could only do worsed. I know, by talking to others. there are alot more like them out there. I think your party loyalty, which is admirable, is blinding you to the fact that the democrats are having some loyalty issues and are dividing from the inside. Now, I have no facts on that, because obviously it is kind of hard to find those type of facts. I was actually watching CNN and they were even talking about the democratic party being a "house divided". Never thought I would see CNN say anything negative about the democratic party. You are right, that if the democrats are going to have any chance of beating Bush, they are all going to have to rally behind their candidate, but I don't think it will happen. One of the democrats problems is that they have one of the most selfish political personalities there is and that is Hilary Clinton. She is all about herself and less worried about party IMO. She will squash any democrat that gets in her way.

ranger, it's not surprising to hear you say that you base your opinions on what the people you talk to have said. The south is the most conservative part of the country and many of the Democrats in the south are of the Zell Miller variety, which would probably be considered "slightly liberal Republicans". But, you have to remember, there is a world outside of the southern US and, I think, the only far left candidates are Sharpton and Kucinich. The others are much more centrist than you think.

I often watch C-Span and I hear many of the Republican callers, especially older ones, say how disappointed they are with Bush and that they'll vote Democrat. In anticipation of your reply, yes, it's possible that these are liberal callers claiming to be otherwise. Bush ran his campaign as a centrist, a "compassionate conservative", but there are a lot of swing type voters who bought into that and now feel that he's anything but "compassionate" unless you are wealthy.

gore's surprised (and ill-timed) move this week continues to puzzle me.

makes for good entertainment for those of us w/o a dog in that particular fight...

ct

CT, did you see my post about Hil chills Al earlier this week? It makes a pretty good point about the Dean endorsement. It looks more like a political ploy to aim for favor with the Dean voters this year in anticipation of his campaign in 2008. The remark about moving away from the Clinton philosophy was a shot at Hillary, who he expects to be his main competition for the Democratic nomination in 2008.

i did see something or else heard that theory on TV somewhere.

the libs i talk with are way down on gore right now.

now, if hills-bills & algore go at it in 08, that'll truly be fun to watch.

wonder who the pubs will line up for that race...alas, we have '04 to get done w/ before then, no?

gore's surprised (and ill-timed) move this week continues to puzzle me.

makes for good entertainment for those of us w/o a dog in that particular fight...

ct

CT, did you see my post about Hil chills Al earlier this week? It makes a pretty good point about the Dean endorsement. It looks more like a political ploy to aim for favor with the Dean voters this year in anticipation of his campaign in 2008. The remark about moving away from the Clinton philosophy was a shot at Hillary, who he expects to be his main competition for the Democratic nomination in 2008.

I think Donutboy has this one pegged.

Gore is still angling for the Whitehouse. I bet he has polls showing him to be a very sympathetic candidate in 2008 over the way the 2000 campaign ended. Gore is gutting the Leiberman campaign and setting up Dean as a landslide loss wounded competitor too.

Gore vs Hillary in 2008. I hope the winner goes against VP Rice and loses.

Gore vs Hillary in 2008. I hope the winner goes against VP Rice and loses.

Do you think she will be the VP for President Bush in the next election? I have been impressed with her. I also like the thought of the first female president being a black woman from Birmingham, Al. :flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

Don't you know having not only the first black president, but the first woman president all in one package coming from the Republican Party would just cause the synapses of every Democrat to fire so quickly it would cause an absolute meltdown?

ranger, it's not surprising to hear you say that you base your opinions on what the people you talk to have said. The south is the most conservative part of the country and many of the Democrats in the south are of the Zell Miller variety, which would probably be considered "slightly liberal Republicans". But, you have to remember, there is a world outside of the southern US and, I think, the only far left candidates are Sharpton and Kucinich. The others are much more centrist than you think.

I often watch C-Span and I hear many of the Republican callers, especially older ones, say how disappointed they are with Bush and that they'll vote Democrat. In anticipation of your reply, yes, it's possible that these are liberal callers claiming to be otherwise. Bush ran his campaign as a centrist, a "compassionate conservative", but there are a lot of swing type voters who bought into that and now feel that he's anything but "compassionate" unless you are wealthy.

Well, my father-in-law and his mother are from Michigan. The others I was talking about are clients and vendors from Boston, Providence, Baltimore, DC, LA, and New Hampshire. Actually, I was not even talking about anybody from the South. Guess I should have mentioned that, but did not think it mattered at the time. :lol:

Archived