Was the Bear Racist..??

boyjeddah

Now I understand that this is as sensitive of a topic as it would come.. and I understand the possible implications of posting a subject like that on a rival website.

However, putting all rival bitterness aside, I would like to adventure such a puzzling question that kept coming back to me whenever I have a discussion with any college non-SEC fan. I am truely looking for educated opinions and observations rather than cheap shots. The reason I did not post the topic on a bama fan site is as obvious as the answer "+ threats" that I'd be getting. Even though I was looking for a neutral site, there's a slight likelihood that I would find such an answer here but I'll attempt to ask anyways.

I really hope that this subject should be taken as a reality-check issue rather than a "bama vs. auburn" one. The circumstances that pushed me to ask the question is one conversation among many others I had with other fans. The latest was with a Wisconsin guy I work with. The pillars of the story was that I was asserting through my crimson painted glasses that the Bear was not. I usually support that notion with the argument that had he been racist, you'd have seen people like Sly Croom and others pointing it out. Also, his enthusiasm to have the Bama/USC game that demonstrated the program's need for integration (dont ask me about dates I dont have time to do research). However, I have not been born around that time or ever knew the complete details surrounding the history of segregation in the state (I am not from here), I was relying simply on a bunch of sports documentaries and a few books that I read pointing to events that happened around the time when the Bear decided to lay low in order to avoid a political backlash against the football program in addition to the fact that this might run against the wishes of the governor.

However, I was always faced with the question that "if anyone at the time has the power/guts/influence to enforce any means of integration in the state without any fear of losing respect or his job, it would have been Bear Bryant but he decided not to do so" - this leaves the question and its answer wide open to speculations as the issue might not be resolved around this forum. But I was interested in opinions based on factual events from SEC fans who do not see things the way the rest of the crimson nation does.

Also one final note, it's my opinion and only my opinion that racism is a built-in character in all people regardless of your color, citizenship, ethnicity, etc... People do it all the time and everywhere and for different reasons and based on different criteria. For some messed up reason, it's a characterstic that's impeded within the human mind but I guess the deciding factor and difference is whether you think it, say it, or act upon it..

Appreciate any classy responses.

MODS: if you think the topic is inappropriate, please feel free to delete this thread

In all honesty, the man wasn't any more of a racist than anyone else. Racism was just a part of the subculture up until possibly as late as the 80's in the South.

***note: that does not mean racism is okay, just a fact of the times especially in the 60's and prior, right or wrong***

In all honesty, the man wasn't any more of a racist than anyone else. Racism was just a part of the subculture up until possibly as late as the 80's in the South.

***note: that does not mean racism is okay, just a fact of the times especially in the 60's and prior, right or wrong***

Agreed. Everyone was racist to a degree. It was part of the times. When George Wallace stood in the school house door he wasn't standing there by himself. Nope, there were thousands of your parents and grandparents out there cheering him on.

By today's standards my grandparents would be considered bigots. But for their day, they were probably progressive.

Was Bryant racist? Of course. But that's not why he's a lowdown dirty dog.

Yes....You could tell it in the movie when Bear saw Forrest Gump pick up that young lady's books.

All jokes aside I would say yes but no more so than 95% of everyone else. In fact he may have been somewhat of a leader in bringing in African American players. Didn't he bring an African American player who ran all over the tide into their dressing room and use his as an example of "this is what a football player looks like"? Seems like I remember that story from somewhere.

Yes....You could tell it in the movie when Bear saw Forrest Gump pick up that young lady's books.

All jokes aside I would say yes but no more so than 95% of everyone else. In fact he may have been somewhat of a leader in bringing in African American players. Didn't he bring an African American player who ran all over the tide into their dressing room and use his as an example of "this is what a football player looks like"? Seems like I remember that story from somewhere.

Bogus story about him bringing Sam Cunningham into the dressing room after the Southern Cal game and telling them "this is what a football player is" or something to that effect. Never happened.

Also he didn't schedule the games with SC just to show to demonstrate that the teams/university needed to integrate.. He scheduled them to win, as he did the following year at SC with basically the same team but new formations (wishbone).

As with most coaches, he was not a leader in this matter. AU signed the first AA player in the state and others in the south had already started using AA players.

Bogus story about him bringing Sam Cunningham into the dressing room after the Southern Cal game and telling them "this is what a football player is" or something to that effect. Never happened.

Also he didn't schedule the games with SC just to show to demonstrate that the teams/university needed to integrate.. He scheduled them to win, as he did the following year at SC with basically the same team but new formations (wishbone).

As with most coaches, he was not a leader in this matter. AU signed the first AA player in the state and others in the south had already started using AA players.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Seriously, I dont think he was anymore than the general population at the time.

I could talk about the problems not so long ago. The problems now as well. In college sports, to be blunt, there are just too many variables within the sidewalk alumni base, even on campus too.

There is one frat in particular I do not cotton to. Its on both our campuses and I really abhor them for the way the act. I see some schools that are truly integrated and some are not. I guess we have made progress, bt not as much as we would like, and more than some activists would have you believe.

I did not see anybody suggesting that he was a leader in integrating black athletes in the South..!!! All what's been said is whether he truely tried to integrate or not.. Why do you have to be insecure about your school that you have to mention it even in a thread that does not relate to Auburn integration...!!

Settle down boy and quit jumping to conclusions. You asked for opinions and the fact of the matter is that Bryant wasn't leading the way in the state of Alabama to integrate his football team. 80tiger is merely pointing out that AU signed a black player before Bryant even thought of it. uat was lagging behind the rest of the SEC and other conferences in integration.

Guest Tigrinum Major

I did not see anybody suggesting that he was a leader in integrating black athletes in the South..!!! All what's been said is whether he truely tried to integrate or not.. Why do you have to be insecure about your school that you have to mention it even in a thread that does not relate to Auburn integration...!!

As insecure as someone that looks for validation of a coach from his own school on a rival message board?

Do us all a favor and hang up and...do whatever it is you do when the lights go out and you're left alone with your Coors wifebeater, your ever present can of beer and a black Chevy Nova with a 13 painted on the side.

Was the Bear Racist..??

Does the Pope sh*t in the woods?

It depends.

There might be little boys in the woods. You never know.

Really, this might be true. What if the animals just dont want those dirty humans using their facilities? ;)

Do us all a favor and hang up and...do whatever it is you do when the lights go out and you're left alone with your Coors wifebeater, your ever present can of beer and a black Chevy Nova with a 13 painted on the side.

Can someone please translate???? I dont speak Auburn.. :no:

Can someone please translate???? I dont speak Auburn.. :no:

You see, he's making fun of you.

Allow me to translate into bammer.

Dem ejumucated city folk thank it's funny thatchall live lak hicks.

As I stated" as with most coaches" he was not a leader. As for the rest of the statment, it is fact. UA was behind many of the southern schools on this matter. And for you to suggest insecurity about AU is really funny. In relation to UA their is nothing to be insecure about, athletically or academically.

Back to original subject, based on his status within the state and the country, it is my opionion he should have been a leader. He could of withstood a media assualt within the state and from George Wallace. I am not saying this as a negative because it is hard to do. But if you have the position and power, and know something is not right, a person needs to step forward. That now begs the question " Did he thing something was not right?"

What does this thread have to do with Alcoholics Anonymous?

I thought we were talking about integration.

Archived