Girl suspended and tagged as "Student With Attitude Problems" for wearing Tigger socks

What stands out to you most in this article?

ACLU Sues School After Girl Is Punished For Wearing Socks With Winnie The Pooh Character

NAPA, Calif. (AP) A seventh-grader might end up in court for wearing Winnie the Pooh socks to school.

Toni Kay Scott, 14, was sent to an in-school suspension program called Students With Attitude Problems last year for violating a dress code, according to a lawsuit against the Napa Valley Unified School District and Redwood Middle School.

She had donned socks with the Tigger character from the Winnie the Pooh cartoons on them, along with a denim skirt and a brown shirt with a pink border.

But the school's policy requires students to wear clothes with solid colors in blue, white, green, yellow, khaki, gray, brown and black. Permitted fabrics are cotton twill, corduroy and chino. No denim is allowed.

The lawsuit, filed Monday in Napa County Superior Court by The American Civil Liberties Union and a law firm on the girl's behalf, alleges that the dress code is unconstitutionally vague and too restrictive.

"We should be able to show everyone who we are and have a way to express ourselves, as long as we aren't showing off things that shouldn't be shown off at school,'' the teenager said in a statement.

The lawsuit said the policy goes too far and forces aesthetic conformity in the name of safety. The rules violate the California Education Code, said plaintiffs' attorney Sharon O'Grady.

A telephone message left Tuesday at Redwood Middle School was not immediately returned

Link

First thing I noticed was that she was 14 in seventh grade.

You nailed it!

You nailed it!

That and she's still wearing Winnie the Pooh stuff. That'd be like me still wearing Scooby Doo underwear.

Wait................uh oh.

Once again the story left out whether or not this was her first offense. She is older than most of the other 7th graders so she should know the rules. Bust her head up side the wall and kick her ass to the curb. That'll show her. Do the same thing to the ACLU

You nailed it!

That and she's still wearing Winnie the Pooh stuff. That'd be like me still wearing Scooby Doo underwear.

Dont you mean rut roh?

Maybe she was simply held back during her pre-K - K years for 1 year? Happens all the time. Not too sure if this is an accurate ruling measure for this girl's character or "how she may be".

It sounds like she knowingly violated the dress code, so why should she be exempt from punishment? There's got to be more to this story that the ACLU and media isn't telling...

It sounds like she knowingly violated the dress code, so why should she be exempt from punishment? There's got to be more to this story that the ACLU and media isn't telling...

What there is to this story is a headline that tells part of the truth. Yes she was supspended for wearing the socks which on the surface seems asinine and harsh but the school has an ESTABLISHED dress code. Good for the school. Stick by you guns. Give an inch and they will take a mile.

You nailed it!

don't be hating on Winnie the Pooh....

Was this a private school? If it was, many have a dress code such as the one my wife teaches at and my daughter attends. It's a private, Christian school and it has a very specific dress code. They are written up for violations and it's really just a matter of either you want to comply with our rules, or you don't. If you don't, then go somewhere else.

As for anything involving the ACLU.....well, enough said.

Archived