UGA VI to step down after 2007 Season

SouthLink02

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/sports...=7&cxcat=21

Athens — Get a good look at Uga VI in the coming months because, after this fall, he's stepping out of the limelight.

The Georgia Bulldogs' beloved mascot, the sixth in a line of pure white English bulldogs dating back to 1956, is set to retire following the Bulldogs' 2007 football season.

JOEY IVANSCO / AJC

(ENLARGE)

There will be a changing of the Bulldog after next season following the expected 'retirement' of Uga VI.

"Historically speaking, probably so," said Savannah attorney Sonny Seiler, who has owned the dogs since he was a student in the 1950s. "We want a dog that presents well, not one that slouches around. Uga VI has been wonderful. He still stands up for most of the games and he's the biggest dog we've ever had. But dogs get old like people do."

Uga VI, whose given name is "Uga V's Whatchagot Loran," turns 9 in July. Seiler said the dogs are retired by the time they are 10 regardless.

"It's hard work being the world's greatest mascot," he said.

Rumors have swirled in recent weeks that Uga VI would be replaced before this coming season. Seiler thinks they may have been started last season since Uga VI no longer runs ahead of football team as it comes onto the field at Sanford Stadium.

"This is straight from the dog's mouth," Seiler said. "Uga is in excellent shape for his age. I have every reason to believe he'll serve one more year. If there's anything that's wrong with him it's that he's too damn fat like his owner."

Seiler said Uga VI will at G-Day on April 7 and has several commitments this summer, including shooting a television special on tailgating for the Paula Deen Show on the Food Network.

As for what dog will become Uga VII, that's a tightly-guarded secret, as always. There is more than one from which to choose.

"I'll just say if we needed to put our hands on a puppy, we'd be ready," Seiler said. "We try to use the youngest one so he'll be around as long as possible."

Wasn't this the dawg that tried to bite someone? If so, you gotta love him.

Wasn't this the dawg that tried to bite someone? If so, you gotta love him.

I think that was Uga V against the AU player.....but wasnt that like 1997?

I'll never forget that incident in the corner of the endzone. The Auburn player was ROBERT BAKER.. hilarious

UGA is truly one of the great mascots in all of College football

Happy Retirement UGA VI.

Even though there were a ton UGAY punks making fun of Tiger at his retirement.

Happy Retirement UGA VI.

Even though there were a ton UGAY punks making fun of Tiger at his retirement.

Hopefully we give UGA the same sendoff they gave Tiger. Dark, dark day.

1) What did we do to Tiger?

2) This story is now being told on DawgPost as NOT being true...the AJC in perfect fashion screwed up. I still think he retires after this upcoming year.

1) What did we do to Tiger?

2) This story is now being told on DawgPost as NOT being true...the AJC in perfect fashion screwed up. I still think he retires after this upcoming year.

My season tickets are in section 30 and my seats are 1-2-3-4. The visiting section starts at 31, so I'm right on the front line.. During the video presentation they were booing, calling him dawg meat and really just showing a total lack of class. They were all very young so I just chalked it up to immaturity.

"It's hard work being the world's greatest mascot," he said.

I like how american journalism always prevail in showing ignorance... I guess they have a very loose definition of the word "world"

Archived