Pelosi, fresh off her visit to Syria, eyes Iran as next opportunity to undermine the Bush administration

Tigermike

Pelosi is open to Iran trip

Carla Marinucci, Chronicle Political Writer

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

burqa2-1.jpg

Could this be Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi practicing showing the proper respect when she visits Iran in the near future?

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Rep. Tom Lantos, D-San Mateo, just back from a trip to Syria that brought sharp criticism from Republicans and the Bush administration, suggested Tuesday that the two may be interested in taking another diplomatic trip -- to open a dialogue with Iran.

The Democratic speaker from San Francisco and Lantos, chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, were asked at a news conference in San Francisco on Tuesday whether on the heels of their recent trip to the Middle East they would be interested in extending their diplomacy in the troubled region with a visit to Iran.

"Speaking just for myself, I would be ready to get on a plane tomorrow morning, because however objectionable, unfair and inaccurate many of (Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's) statements are, it is important that we have a dialogue with him,'' Lantos said. "Speaking for myself, I'm ready to go -- and knowing the speaker, I think that she might be.''

Pelosi did not dispute that statement, and noted that Lantos -- a Hungarian-born survivor of the Holocaust -- brought "great experience, knowledge and judgment" to the recent bipartisan congressional delegation trip to Israel, the Palestinian territories, Lebanon and Saudi Arabia in addition to Syria.

"I find the president of Iran's remarks to be so repulsive that they are outside the circle of civilized human behavior,'' Pelosi said, referring to Ahmadinejad's past comments that Israel should be wiped off the face of the map and his questioning of the existence of the Holocaust.

"But a person of Mr. Lantos' stature and personal experience is saying that -- even as a Holocaust survivor and even recognizing the outrageous statements of the president of Iran -- it's important to have dialogue. I think that speaks volumes.''

Pelosi was criticized by President Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney and other members of the administration for meeting with Syrian President Bashar Assad, who the administration said has meddled in the politics of Iraq, has fomented violence there and in Lebanon, and is a state sponsor of terrorism. Other Republicans, however, have visited Syria during the current congressional recess.

The president also has tried to isolate Iran, saying its government, too, has aided attacks against Americans in Iraq and elsewhere while expanding its efforts to build nuclear weapons.

Lantos said that for more than a decade, he has been trying to obtain a visa to visit Iran, with the help of former U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan -- and to date neither he nor any other member of Congress has been successful.

Pelosi said that throughout the congressional delegation's Middle East trip, "every place we went we had a constant message: the safety and security of Israel, fighting terrorism.''

"There was, of course, a shadow over all of it, Iran: Iran's support of terrorist groups is something that must be stopped,'' she said. "Iran's quest for a nuclear weapon is something that must not happen, and we must stop them with the strongest of diplomatic measures.''

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...MNGPNP68IO1.DTL

"There was, of course, a shadow over all of it, Iran: Iran's support of terrorist groups is something that must be stopped,'' she said. "Iran's quest for a nuclear weapon is something that must not happen, and we must stop them with the strongest of diplomatic measures.''

In other words, we must keep on admonishing them until it's too late. How do you deal with a mad dog?

You don't.

Bad doggie. Bad doggie.

Let's just wait until they "Have" weapons and then strike ;)

I just got back from Scotland. Give me some time to catch up. My base position is pro-anything that will hang Pelosi. I don't like her.

I just got back from Scotland. Give me some time to catch up. My base position is pro-anything that will hang Pelosi. I don't like her.

The old "I just got back from Scotland" excuse. I hear it all the time. B)

The old "I just got back from Scotland" excuse. I hear it all the time. B)

That's when you are looking up kilts. :rolleyes::big:

• 3 weeks later...

Several weeks ago I used the same rhetorical device that Tigermike used on this thread. My title was prompty edited and I was chastised for falsely attributing quotes to the POTUS. You guys really need to just quit pretending that there is no bias and double standard in how this forum is administered.

http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?s...st&p=356613

Pelosi never said what is "attributed to her" in the title. Still, I don't fault Tigermike. I think it is a valid device for a polemicist, even though the argument he tries to make with that device isn't valid in this case. I don't think he should be censored either, but the standard should be the same.

Notice Raptor's response when I used it:

Falsifying/ fabricating quotes for nothing more than dramatic effect is pretty much the bottom of the barrel, TT. Even for a Lib.

Thanks T.I.S. Sadly, there are some on the Left who have decided pretty much anything is ok to do in order to make their opinions heard. Point is, lying and deception doesnt' really make their case at all. But whether they're going # 2 on the US Flag, or making up bogus quotes, the Left can't escape how horrifically wrong it is. They simply can't help it.

Even the non journalist can decipher between faux quotes and ones presented in accepted journalistic fashion. Look at any tabloid journal, and you'll see that NONE of them present false quotes in that manner. By presenting ficticious quotes as being made by Bush to be true, you are stepping over the line. Don't get bitter any anyone else for correcting the mistake YOU made. There was no 'abuse' of power here, only an abuse of freedom on YOUR part, TT. The abuse of freedom via deception and fraud. You want to play that game over at Democratic Underground, or Moveon. org? ....have at it. Those kooks are use to living in a fantasy world anyway. Homey don't play there here.

How's about you get over yourself or get lost. Either would be preferable.

Here he just played along like the hypocrite he is.

It didn't bother TIS at all this time--- because it involved Pelosi, not Bush. Facts is facts. Abusing that power...

My base position is pro-anything that will hang Pelosi. I don't like her.

That is abudantly clear. Just admit it effects how you fulfill your role as a mod.

How do we KNOW she didn't say those words?

If they're not her words, take 'em out of the quotes. Doesn't matter who posts it is or who is being discussed.

Happy now, TexasTiger? Now quit frettin the little stuff and go back to sleep.

Several weeks ago I used the same rhetorical device that Tigermike used on this thread. My title was prompty edited and I was chastised for falsely attributing quotes to the POTUS. You guys really need to just quit pretending that there is no bias and double standard in how this forum is administered.

Pelosi never said what is "attributed to her" in the title. Still, I don't fault Tigermike. I think it is a valid device for a polemicist, even though the argument he tries to make with that device isn't valid in this case. I don't think he should be censored either, but the standard should be the same.

Falsifying/ fabricating quotes for nothing more than dramatic effect is pretty much the bottom of the barrel, TT. Even for a Lib.

Thanks T.I.S. Sadly, there are some on the Left who have decided pretty much anything is ok to do in order to make their opinions heard. Point is, lying and deception doesnt' really make their case at all. But whether they're going # 2 on the US Flag, or making up bogus quotes, the Left can't escape how horrifically wrong it is. They simply can't help it.

Even the non journalist can decipher between faux quotes and ones presented in accepted journalistic fashion. Look at any tabloid journal, and you'll see that NONE of them present false quotes in that manner. By presenting ficticious quotes as being made by Bush to be true, you are stepping over the line. Don't get bitter any anyone else for correcting the mistake YOU made. There was no 'abuse' of power here, only an abuse of freedom on YOUR part, TT. The abuse of freedom via deception and fraud. You want to play that game over at Democratic Underground, or Moveon. org? ....have at it. Those kooks are use to living in a fantasy world anyway. Homey don't play there here.

It didn't bother TIS at all this time--- because it involved Pelosi, not Bush. Facts is facts. Abusing that power...

That is abudantly clear. Just admit it effects how you fulfill your role as a mod.

So are you saying she didn't visit Syria or she is not considering talks with or a visit to Iran or that she has not been taking every opportunity to undermine the Bush administration?

So are you saying she didn't visit Syria or she is not considering talks with or a visit to Iran or that she has not been taking every opportunity to undermine the Bush administration?

I haven't seen any quote of her saying she planned on going to Iran. Have you?

Did you use the link provided in the original post? It wasn't my title, it was the news papers.

Did you use the link provided in the original post? It wasn't my title, it was the news papers.

Yeah, I read the article and Pelosi never said it. The newspaper didn't attribute that quote to her. You can google that "quote" and not find it anywhere. Lantos alluded to it and I remember Pelosi's office at the time saying it wouldn't happen. Do you have a link saying otherwise?

Carla Marinucci, San Francisco Chronicle Political Writer

burqa2-1.jpg

There is the article title and a link to the article. It is titled just as the writer wrote it. I would doubt seriously if the San Francisco Chronicle is a conservative newspaper. If it were would there be any readers in San Fran?

You bring up Google and "Pelosi is open to Iran trip". So I went to Google with Pelosi is open to Iran trip and found this.

PS - I just found the picture and don't think it is really Nancy. But then it could be her wanting to show the Syrians & Iranians that she really does love them. ;)

Carla Marinucci, San Francisco Chronicle Political Writer

burqa2-1.jpg

There is the article title and a link to the article. It is titled just as the writer wrote it. I would doubt seriously if the San Francisco Chronicle is a conservative newspaper. If it were would there be any readers in San Fran?

You bring up Google and "Pelosi is open to Iran trip". So I went to Google with Pelosi is open to Iran trip and found this.

PS - I just found the picture and don't think it is really Nancy. But then it could be her wanting to show the Syrians & Iranians that she really does love them. ;)

The Chronicle is a Hearst publication and Hearst was known as a conservative. But this is mostly just bad journalism and poor editorial decisionmaking on the title-- I don't assume it is due to political bias. The title of the article is not well supported by the actual "reporting". BUT this is not the title that you had previously titled this thread, is it?

No this was.

Pelosi, fresh off her visit to Syria, eyes Iran as next opportunity to undermine the Bush administration

And it is pretty accurate I think. Didn't she tell the Syrians that the democrats had another foreign policy? If that is not undermining, what is it?

As nation faces a grave threat, Pelosi assumes presidential power

Baltimore Sun

Pelosi stepped over the line

link

Pratfall in Damascus

Nancy Pelosi's foolish shuttle diplomacy

link

No this was.

And it is pretty accurate I think. Didn't she tell the Syrians that the democrats had another foreign policy? If that is not undermining, what is it?

As nation faces a grave threat, Pelosi assumes presidential power

Baltimore Sun

Pelosi stepped over the line

link

Pratfall in Damascus

Nancy Pelosi's foolish shuttle diplomacy

link

Are claiming you didn't just change that title today from this:

Nancy Pelosi, “I’ve been to Syria, how about Iran?”

I haven't changed anything today. What you see is what was posted on 12 April.

And you can get confirmation of that from the mods. It would appear all that DNC kool-ade has short circuited something in the noggin. <_<

I haven't changed anything today. What you see is what was posted on 12 April.

And you can get confirmation of that from the mods. It would appear all that DNC kool-ade has short circuited something in the noggin. <_<

Right. :ucrazy:

If they're not her words, take 'em out of the quotes. Doesn't matter who posts it is or who is being discussed.

They were in quotes when Raptor made this post.

A - I didn't start this post. Don't confuse me with the one who did

B- You didn't answer the question. How do we know Pelosi DID NOT say those words ?

C- I'm agreeing with you, so try to get a clue. IF Pelosi did NOT say those words, then remove the quotes.

Now, try and argue those points!

A - I didn't start this post. Don't confuse me with the one who did

B- You didn't answer the question. How do we know Pelosi DID NOT say those words ?

C- I'm agreeing with you, so try to get a clue. IF Pelosi did NOT say those words, then remove the quotes.

Now, try and argue those points!

I'm not arguing with you, brother. Tigermike has edited the title and is claiming it was this way all along. Apparently he got some mods in on the joke, but forgot about you.

Ok, now I'm really not caring about this anymore.

Archived