CECIL HURT: UAT Defense has to understand concepts

DKW 86

http://www.tidesports.com/article/20070815...14035/1067/NEWS

CECIL HURT: Defense has to understand concepts

By Cecil Hurt

Sports Editor

The University of Alabama practice field was no place for a half-full glass Tuesday afternoon.

For one thing, it wasn’t going to be half full for long. Either the content was going to evaporate rapidly or some practice observer, half-crazed by thirst, was going to grab the glass, gulping the liquid it contained unless it was more viscuous than 30-weight motor oil.

So rest assured, this is a glass-half-empty column. Maybe it’s even a little more than half-empty.

When watching practice, even in small doses, and trying to form a preseason opinion about the upcoming year’s team, it’s often helpful to try to form some comparison of the current team with some of its predecessors.

Like snowflakes, no two teams are identical. (Who thought that there could be a snowflake reference to Tuesday’s practice?)

Over the course of the last few days, based not only on limited practice observation but also on scrimmage reviews and statistics and, most importantly, the comments of coach Nick Saban, there seems to be parallels between this team and other Tide teams of the past. The fact is, it appears that this team is going to have to rely heavily on offensive production to win games. That’s because the defensive talent, relative to the other teams in the league, may be at a low level that hasn’t been seen since 1969.

The previous paragraph is going to require a good bit of explication.

First, I understand that the relative value of scrimmage statistics is low, as Saban frequently explains. On the whole, though, it’s better — especially in a first scrimmage — if an offense struggles a little to sustain itself. Last Saturday’s Alabama scrimmage, replete with big offensive plays, was not necessarily a good indicator.

Second, saying that this Alabama team may have the thinnest pool of defensive talent in 38 years isn’t simply backhanded damnation. For nearly two decades in that stretch — all of the 1970s and much of the 1990s — Alabama had awesome defenses packed with star players.

There have been a few intervals where that wasn’t the case. One started in 1982 and lasted until about the midpoint of 1984, when the extremely young players that Ray Perkins had been using started to come of age. It was surprising to note that Mike DuBose’s teams in the late ‘90s — even the 1999 SEC champions — weren’t especially good defensively. That was partly due to talent, partly due to the generally dysfunctional nature of the program and largely hidden by the talents of Shaun Alexander and Chris Samuels. But there were some good players on hand at the time.

The same thing, generally, can be said about Mike Shula’s 2003 team, which gave up a lot of points (many in overtime, to be fair) but had some solid players.

The most appropriate analogy seems to be 1969. It’s not fair to sum up any team in a sentence or two, but space requires it here. In 1969, Alabama’s best chance to win was if Scott Hunter got hot and the Crimson Tide scored a lot of points. (See the Ole Miss win that season.) When that didn’t happen, the defense was liable to give up a bushel of points — 49 to Auburn, 47 to Colorado, 41 to Tennessee — and those numbers came in an era when, as veteran practice observer Kirk McNair said yesterday, “28 was a lot of points.”

That team finished 6-5.

Immediately, people who think that Alabama’s record this season will be much better than the shade-over-.500 indicated will cite two points.

The first of those points: Nick Saban. I’ll grant you that coaching will play an important part in this season, but would also point out that the 1969 team had pretty good coaching as well, including the architects of great defenses in the ‘60s and ‘70s. But coaching can only go so far, and the 1969 results attest to that.

The second point will be that I am undervaluing the talent currently on the roster. That’s entirely possible. I said “proven” talent and maybe the current group of defensive players will prove themselves. Some of them have potential, and some are fine individuals. But think about the 1992 defense (admittedly the gold standard). How many of the current defensive players would start on that unit? If you answered zero, you might be right. How many would even play? To speak bluntly, not many more. BG said this first, btw.

Defensive back Simeon Castille is a future pro. Who else is at that level right now? There are a couple of freshmen and sophomores who may get there eventually, because they have ability. But for Alabama to be a good defense this season, the light is going to have to come on, not just for one or two players, but for five or six. And it is going to have to come on quickly.

I do think Saban will squeeze a great deal out of this team. I do think the offense can be very good (much better than the 1992 offense, since the comparison is on the table). But, as much as I hate this trite phrase, the Crimson Tide is going to have to outscore some people. That won’t start in Week One (Western Carolina, after all) but it probably will start in Week Two at Vanderbilt, like it or not.

To be fair, Saban hasn’t said many disparaging words about his defense.

He had good things to say on Tuesday about players like Rolando McLain and Ezekial Knight. He indicated that he “was not displeased” with the defense, and that the coaches’ plans for their improvement were progressing.

“It’s the whole-part-whole [philosophy],” he said. “We give them a lot, see what sticks, then build on that. That is not unusual when you are installing a new defensive scheme.

“What we need for them to do right now is to understand concepts. If they can’t do that, we will minimize what we are doing until they do understand it. What we have to do is find a critical mass of guys who understand.”

In the long run, that will work. In fact, it’s probably not too different than what was done in 1969, which was a transition year, too, not because of a change in coaches but because of changes in society.

By 1971, Alabama’s defense was back at championship level and stayed there. Don’t be surprised if the pattern repeats itself — but also don’t be surprised if there is quite a roller-coaster ride for the Tide at the outset.

Cecil Hurt is sports editor of The Tuscaloosa News. Reach him at cecil.hurt@tuscaloosanews.com or at 205-722-0225

Saban's D is the hardest system to learn in college football....period

It's ridiculous

It's why it is so successful yet so vulnerable

Good job! That is exactly what CWM has said many times.

Saban's D is the hardest system to learn in college football....period

It's ridiculous

It's why it is so successful yet so vulnerable

Good job! That is exactly what CWM has said many times.

I agree with you guys but without their issues on the front seven, this article isn't written this doom and gloom. Cecil and Finebaum are trying their hardest to lower the crazy expectations of the irrational Bama fans.

I agree with you guys but without their issues on the front seven, this article isn't written this doom and gloom. Cecil and Finebaum are trying their hardest to lower the crazy expectations of the irrational Bama fans.

Funny. Just this morning the locals at the cafe were chuckling over this article and how "good ol' Cecil" was really laying the trap for Auburn. Us dumb old Auburn fans were going to get lulled into thinking that we were going to just stroll right through win number six. And boy would we be shocked when Bama was holding up that crystal football at the end of the year.

Funny. Just this morning the locals at the cafe were chuckling over this article and how "good ol' Cecil" was really laying the trap for Auburn. Us dumb old Auburn fans were going to get lulled into thinking that we were going to just stroll right through win number six. And boy would we be shocked when Bama was holding up that crystal football at the end of the year.

I believe I would find somewhere else to hang out in the mornings. :puke:

Meh. It's where I live.

I had to quit eating there for a while. Doctor said cholesterol of 250-something was, like, a bad thing. And the regular morning pick-me-up of two eggs over medium, two pieces of sausage, tater tots, buttered grits, two pieces of buttered toast, grape jelly and a great big glass of iced Sunkist was probably a contributing factor, this quack said.

But I got the stupid number down to the 130 range with a little work and it seemed like a good time to reward myself -- and remind myself what I was missing. I was missing two eggs over medium, two pieces of sausage, buttered grits, tater tots, a cat head biscuit with butter and grape jelly, a big old glass of sunkist and a bunch of local do-nothings schlobbing the Saban knob. Well, not so much the last part.

Meh. It's where I live.

I had to quit eating there for a while. Doctor said cholesterol of 250-something was, like, a bad thing. And the regular morning pick-me-up of two eggs over medium, two pieces of sausage, tater tots, buttered grits, two pieces of buttered toast, grape jelly and a great big glass of iced Sunkist was probably a contributing factor, this quack said.

But I got the stupid number down to the 130 range with a little work and it seemed like a good time to reward myself -- and remind myself what I was missing. I was missing two eggs over medium, two pieces of sausage, buttered grits, tater tots, a cat head biscuit with butter and grape jelly, a big old glass of sunkist and a bunch of local do-nothings schlobbing the Saban knob. Well, not so much the last part.

Bless you sir, I'm sure they missed you :poke:

Since someone brought up CWM, I'd like to know (in general) how much you guys feel a former assistance of a current head coach (i.e. CWM and Saban) can bring to the table as they have spent time learning that coaches system?

Since someone brought up CWM, I'd like to know (in general) how much you guys feel a former assistance of a current head coach (i.e. CWM and Saban) can bring to the table as they have spent time learning that coaches system?

You said table. You know what's good on the breakfast table? Two eggs over medium, two pieces of sausage.... Sorry. I'm HONGRY.

Look at last season. AU was able to stymie LSU's offense because Muschamp knew pretty much every move Fisher was going to make. I think in that instance Muschamp proved himself to be a better coach than Fisher because he was able to throw things at Fisher that he could not counter.

The fact that Saban and Muschamp were both on the defensive side of the ball doesn't really give AU that much of an advantage. He might be able to pass on some tendencies to Borges as they game plan, but since it's not a head-to-head matchup I consider the advantage to be minimal.

looking back, i feel our defensive success last year didnt rest with how well we countered fisher, but rather how we un-nerved Russell.

i did think that CWM did a fine job last year, but i hope to see even better things now that most players have a year under their belt with him.

if any bama fan touts the defense as world beaters this year, they are sadly mistaken. i don't think most of us are worried about the offense. i'm not really. but as Slink said, as complicated as CNS defense is to learn, i feel pretty concerned about it.

if any bama fan touts the defense as world beaters this year, they are sadly mistaken. i don't think most of us are worried about the offense. i'm not really. but as Slink said, as complicated as CNS defense is to learn, i feel pretty concerned about it.

As we did last year with far superior talent on that side of the ball. You guys know Cecil is trying to calm the masses.

looking back, i feel our defensive success last year didnt rest with how well we countered fisher, but rather how we un-nerved Russell.

I didn't see that at all. I thought Russell was into it and focused from beginning to end. I never saw him rattled in the least. I did see a gameplan that I thought was poor. And I saw our defense prepared for whatever they were going to do next.

Galen, if you're ever in Northport at an ungodly morning hour, make it a point to have breakfast at the City Cafe. You're arteries may curse you, but your pallet will thank you. Great stuff.

As for our defense, well, we'll be weak at best. We've got a little talent here and there, even some depth in areas, but zero experience. Holes appear in every position. Simeon anchors the secondary, but where's a steady guy around him? I think Justin Woodall can solidify a spot as a quality contributor, but I never hear his name mentioned in post-practice interviews. Gilberry, despite being an overachiever, does a solid job on the defensive line. Yet, outside of Gilberry and possibly Bobby Greenwood, who even has a chance to stop Darren McFadden on a 4th and short? Nobody. Short and simple: We've got a converted WR that we're banking on converting into a rush end. Our fans and the rest of the media have put their hopes into a former receiver, a true freshman, and an undersized linebacker. Our front seven is about as strong as wet toilet paper and if we want a chance at knocking off any team that beat us last season, we can't commit any careless errors (late hits, offsides, etc). We have to be flawless in the mental aspect of the game. Flawless.

On the offensive side, we won't see much of a difference in the yards per game category. Shula never had a "bad" offense, but rather a very inefficient one when it entered the red zone. In addition to staying away from the dreaded "jumbo" package, I think we'll utilize the TE more often inside the 20 along with the play action pass. We'll score more points, but I'm not necessarily expecting a quantum leap on offense. And while Terry Grant has performed well in scrimmages, we're still full of unproven RBs. Although, it is good to hear that our offensive line is apparently not going to be the hole in our boat this year.

The bottom line is that I do think you'll see an improved Tide team this fall. Will we beat Tennessee, LSU, and Auburn? I highly doubt it. Will we slaughter Vanderbilt in week two? Don't bet on it. But, I do think we'll look back at the end of the season and say that we're better off now than we were when we took the field for the season opener -- as we, sadly, peaked in 2006 with the Hawaii win.

That makes so much sense...but I understand "Bama Logic" is an oxymoron.

Hypothetical conversation in the coach's office Iron Bowl week: CAB to CTT--"Well, we've watched 11 weeks of Saban-directed Bama games now, Coach. And despite what we've seen on film or TV, Cecil told us in August their defense will struggle so we can call off practice and game-planning this week...we'll just stroll through win #6."

Me thinks your dining companiions are the ones with hardened arteries in their craniums.

Galen, if you're ever in Northport at an ungodly morning hour, make it a point to have breakfast at the City Cafe. You're arteries may curse you, but your pallet will thank you. Great stuff.

As for our defense, well, we'll be weak at best. We've got a little talent here and there, even some depth in areas, but zero experience. Holes appear in every position. Simeon anchors the secondary, but where's a steady guy around him? I think Justin Woodall can solidify a spot as a quality contributor, but I never hear his name mentioned in post-practice interviews. Gilberry, despite being an overachiever, does a solid job on the defensive line. Yet, outside of Gilberry and possibly Bobby Greenwood, who even has a chance to stop Darren McFadden on a 4th and short? Nobody. Short and simple: We've got a converted WR that we're banking on converting into a rush end. Our fans and the rest of the media have put their hopes into a former receiver, a true freshman, and an undersized linebacker. Our front seven is about as strong as wet toilet paper and if we want a chance at knocking off any team that beat us last season, we can't commit any careless errors (late hits, offsides, etc). We have to be flawless in the mental aspect of the game. Flawless.

On the offensive side, we won't see much of a difference in the yards per game category. Shula never had a "bad" offense, but rather a very inefficient one when it entered the red zone. In addition to staying away from the dreaded "jumbo" package, I think we'll utilize the TE more often inside the 20 along with the play action pass. We'll score more points, but I'm not necessarily expecting a quantum leap on offense. And while Terry Grant has performed well in scrimmages, we're still full of unproven RBs. Although, it is good to hear that our offensive line is apparently not going to be the hole in our boat this year.

The bottom line is that I do think you'll see an improved Tide team this fall. Will we beat Tennessee, LSU, and Auburn? I highly doubt it. Will we slaughter Vanderbilt in week two? Don't bet on it. But, I do think we'll look back at the end of the season and say that we're better off now than we were when we took the field for the season opener -- as we, sadly, peaked in 2006 with the Hawaii win.

Win,

That is the best analysis of UA I have seen this far, including sportswriters, etc. Everyone knows UA defense was in question. You are spot on with the not seeing much difference in yardage on offense. The questions will be the "finish" factor for the offense. UA problem will be with teams that have good defenses.

UA problem will be with teams that have good defenses.

And teams that run right at you with a powerful Oline. See Auburn last year with their 3-4 experiement.

When is the last time you saw Auburn fans playing a game against Alabama?

We probably would still win, but.... Writers are for the FANS. Coaches are for the PLAYERS. I doubt any of our coaches read this and fall into a trap. They are probably going to instead watch film and scout to prepare a winning strategy rather than giving their favorite sportswriter a call.

Archived