So let me get this straight...

BamaGrad03

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know about all that stuff but my assessment is that without LSU handing you 150 yds worth of penalties, that game isn't really close. And if LSU had committed 150 yds worth of penalties against us (they only had 35 vs us), we would have won by 3 TDs.

I don't know about all that stuff but my assessment is that without LSU handing you 150 yds worth of penalties, that game isn't really close. And if LSU had committed 150 yds worth of penalties against us (they only had 35 vs us), we would have won by 3 TDs.

You can't honestly say that. If if if if if. If LSU hadn't handed you a defensive TD, and LSU hadn't handed you an interception that was caught by Lafell (wide ass open) on your 10 yard line, you could have lost by 14.

Those penalties were pretty much what they've been doing all season. That's why they're the most penalized team in the SEC.

But if you honestly believe that, then I guess you expect to beat us by 3 TDs. Again, it's all about being able to revise your previous stance. You wanted to feel good about there being some great divide between UA and AU...so when you lose to LSU, you say "well they're gonna destroy UA"...but when that doesn't happen it's all "well UA didn't do anything good in the whole game...LSU just gave up a bunch of penalties"

If JPW doesn't throw the worst pass of his career, they don't get the first TD. If the replay official doesn't make the worst call I've seen all year, we're 1st and 10 on the 15 instead of punting the ball. Hell if JPW doesn't complete a 67 yarder, we could have lost by more. If Arenas doesn't juke the entire LSU coverage unit out of their jocks...maybe we lose by 30.

But that's not what happened. What happened is what happened. And if you want to go ahead and put one in the W for the Iron Bowl based on last night's game, go ahead. But you'd be foolish to do so.

You can't honestly say that. If if if if if. If LSU hadn't handed you a defensive TD, and LSU hadn't handed you an interception that was caught by Lafell (wide ass open) on your 10 yard line, you could have lost by 14.

The turnovers between your game and ours were a wash. All I know is, we played them at their house with 110 yds less in penalties not killing their drives or extending ours all over the place and it took a last second TD to beat us. You had them at home with the benefit of all those penalties and they still beat you by a TD.

I'm just saying, literally, if the refs had called that many penalties on them, we win easy. I say 3 TDs. Maybe 2. Hell, if we'd just gotten them to call a damn 5-yard illegal formation that might have been enough. Much less the truckload from last night.

Those penalties were pretty much what they've been doing all season. That's why they're the most penalized team in the SEC.

Except that's not what happened against us. Five penalties for 35 yds. Which is why I stand by what I said.

But if you honestly believe that, then I guess you expect to beat us by 3 TDs. Again, it's all about being able to revise your previous stance. You wanted to feel good about there being some great divide between UA and AU...so when you lose to LSU, you say "well they're gonna destroy UA"...but when that doesn't happen it's all "well UA didn't do anything good in the whole game...LSU just gave up a bunch of penalties"

No, I don't know how our game will turn out. Typically, the game is closer than the relative strengths of each team would indicate. And I didn't say you didn't do anything good the whole game. I'm simply looking at how that game played out and feel completely confident in saying that if LSU had only been flagged for 35 yds like they were against us, they beat you fairly easily. If they'd committed that many penalties against us, we win easily. This isn't outlandish stuff.

/snip the rest as it's based on the irrelevant tangent I just shot down/

So, you could only manage 2 TDs the entire game against LSU with your offense...but if they gave you some more penalty yardage, you're going to get 4 more TDs?

You can't play the if game. IF they didn't get as many penalty yards, maybe we play the game differently and score on a different drive. Or maybe they have the ball instead of us driving and fumble.

You just don't know. You play relative to the current game situation. And I haven't seen AU take advantage of a team that made a ton of mistakes...for 3 TDs all year. USF made more mistakes than LSU did last night, and you still lost.

Arkansas had 100 yards of penalties against AU and you beat them 9-7. Kansas St had 141 of penalty yards against you and you were fighting for your life in that game.

You can't play the if game.

So, you could only manage 2 TDs the entire game against LSU with your offense...but if they gave you some more penalty yardage, you're going to get 4 more TDs?

No, we'd manage one or two more TDs in combination with it costing them one or two TDs. That's what penalties do...they extend your opponent's drives and kill yours. When they are committed in the volume that LSU did last night, they do a heapload of damage both ways to your cause.

You can't play the if game. IF they didn't get as many penalty yards, maybe we play the game differently and score on a different drive. Or maybe they have the ball instead of us driving and fumble.

This has already been explained to you. We lost by six, you lost by seven. You were at home, we were on the road. HOWEVER, aside from bad calls, turnovers or any of that crap, there is one glaring difference. Penalties. 35 yds vs us, 150 yds vs you. Reverse those and we win comfortably, you lose by much more and it's no nailbiter. This isn't hard to conceptualize.

You just don't know. You play relative to the current game situation. And I haven't seen AU take advantage of a team that made a ton of mistakes...for 3 TDs all year. USF made more mistakes than LSU did last night, and you still lost.

Because we committed 5 turnovers. Why can't you stay on the subject? We're discussing penalties. Not a fumble here or there. Given how each game went, the penalties are a huge difference. Period.

Arkansas had 100 yards of penalties against AU and you beat them 9-7. Kansas St had 141 of penalty yards against you and you were fighting for your life in that game.

Ok, I'll play the if game in those scenarios to get it through your head. If Arky or K State only commit say...oh I don't know...35 yds of penalties, we lose both games. See how easy that is?

I stand by what I said.

My thoughts on the game

- That LSU play with the OL was one of the worst calls in the SEC this year....why not just run Hester up the middle for a few inches?

- I have never seen an offense score 34 points and yet look so inept a lot of the time. I never thought I would see a time where someone puts their team in more 3rd and long situations then Mark Richt's play-calling....yet, Applewhite has done it.

- Wilson is so inconsistent....I mean, maybe his stats are good or whatever but he really misses some passes

- Flynn really is not that great but man....he still wins

- Miles will screw LSU eventually with some idiotic call...whether the SECCG or Arkansas

Ok, I'll play the if game in those scenarios to get it through your head. If Arky or K State only commit say...oh I don't know...35 yds of penalties, we lose both games. See how easy that is?

I stand by what I said.

So again let me say...based on this and your previous statements, I guess you expect to win the IB by 3 TDs.

That's not true. Auburn had FIVE turnovers in that game, USF - ZERO. We had 7 penalties for 55 yards, they had 7 penalties for 60 yards. That in no way compares to the 3 turnovers and 15 penalties for 130 yards lsu had last night. Not even close. The only difference is that uat did turn the ball over twice last night as well, so lsu was only +1 in the TO department, but 2 penalties for 15 yards is a HUGE disparity

That's not true. Auburn had FIVE turnovers in that game, USF - ZERO. We had 7 penalties for 55 yards, they had 7 penalties for 60 yards. That in no way compares to the 3 turnovers and 15 penalties for 130 yards lsu had last night. Not even close. The only difference is that uat did turn the ball over twice last night as well, so lsu was only +1 in the TO department, but 2 penalties for 15 yards is a HUGE disparity

USF missed a few kicks....

Let's take it easy on poor little bg and little nicky. Those 20 rushing yards are not impressive but, hey, they have got a moral victory to celebrate!

I stand by what I said.

So again let me say...based on this and your previous statements, I guess you expect to win the IB by 3 TDs.

No, because as I said, the Iron Bowl tends to be closer than anything you'd see on paper would indicate.

On top of that, we haven't played the IB yet so I have no basis of comparison. I have both of our games against LSU to look at and thus feel perfectly confident in my assessments.

Auburn and LSU combined have won 10 in a row over bama (that's two thumbs up their butt). But bama coulda, shouda, wouda won all 10 of those if only it wasn't one of their top ten excuses.

If JPW doesn't throw the worst pass of his career, they don't get the first TD. If the replay official doesn't make the worst call I've seen all year, we're 1st and 10 on the 15 instead of punting the ball. Hell if JPW doesn't complete a 67 yarder, we could have lost by more. If Arenas doesn't juke the entire LSU coverage unit out of their jocks...maybe we lose by 30.

But that's not what happened. What happened is what happened. And if you want to go ahead and put one in the W for the Iron Bowl based on last night's game, go ahead. But you'd be foolish to do so.

You must've missed your game against :om: .

You must've missed your game against :om: .

Nice, :thumbsup: .

Cox isn't above throwing three interceptions. He's not above throwing three touchdowns, either. Only time will tell.

As for Flynn's picks, you can't just conveniently omit Wilson's two turnovers inside LSU's 15. Without those 14 points, they don't win.

In the end, it's all part of the game. Both Alabama and LSU have to get credit for battling back during the times that both looked out of it. We just don't have the players to beat the nation's elite right now, but we're definitely headed in the right direction. They've got five times the talent, but we've got ten times the coaching and heart. This team is earning a special place in my memory, and that has nothing to do with wins and losses.

Most of that post was very good. "Ten times the coaching" is way off. Do you really think your defense would not be better with Pelini in charge? He has produced for a long time now. And if LSU wins the BCS championship this year (which is very likely) then Miles will have equaled Saban's acomplishiments and in just over half the time. But the rest of your post is very good.

I obviously disagree. But, that's cool.

Miles inherited the college football equivalent of the New England Patriots when he arrived in Red Stick. Saban, on the other hand, was handed a program that had endured losing seasons in eight of the previous eleven years.

Outside of the whole "who inherited what" argument, you can look on Miles' inability to win a championship of any kind. Saban won the SEC crown in just his second year on the job, while Les(s) managed to keep a much more talented team at home in '06 and get them blown out in the '05 SECCG. If there's anything I can show you to prove my point, it's this

Have you ever seen anything like that in your life?

Louisiana's high school talent is taking a definite downslide. They don't have a five star in-state for 2008 and will be forced to ship several of their four stars west to Tuscaloosa. He'll have enough talent to be annual Cotton Bowl contenders because of the lack of competition within the state and the program's national status, though. I'm not claiming that LSU's going away, but that their days of going 30-5 will be coming to a halt.

This isn't directed at rebdawg -- Why is the topic of LSU penalties such an issue with everyone? Did they not commit them? It's not Alabama's fault that #71 leaps out of his stance and then rips his helmet off in frustration. Same goes for Hester purposefully rolling over on Kareem Jackson or Wilson being clobbered well after he let go of his pass. Penalties are part of the game and there's a reason they're the league's most penalized team. Both of us are much more disciplined than LSU and it shows. Again, it's just part of the game.

At any rate, it's imperative that we put this one behind us. MSU is a much improved team, as all of you can attest to, and can become bowl eligible with a win over us on Saturday.

At any rate, it's imperative that we put this one behind us. MSU is a much improved team, as all of you can attest to, and can become bowl eligible with a win over us on Saturday.

FWIW, WC? All the people I told that UA would beat LSU? I also told them that UA would lose to MSU. Just my feeling. Don't be napping. MSU is inconsistent. On their best day they can hang with anybody. On their worst they can lose to a 1AA team.

Oh, I could definitely see it happening.

One thing I think we've got going for us is the fact that they beat us last season. A lot going against us too, however.

Louisiana's high school talent is taking a definite downslide. They don't have a five star in-state for 2008 and will be forced to ship several of their four stars west to Tuscaloosa.

Gimme a break, why in hell do you think Saban is going to get Louisiana to cough up recruits left and right when there are numerous other prestigous colleges to recruit them and the big very successful state school in their own borders?

Aren't you sucking on the Saban BS teet just a bit too much?

Do you really think your defense would not be better with Pelini in charge? He has produced for a long time now.

No. His defense hasn't impressed me this year. Hell, we put up 27 on them yesterday. I thought FSU had a much better D.

Yeah, right.

I'll bet the 27 points will.

And I think Saban has fielded a couple of good defenses as well.

He may have, but SPUAT isn't one of those.

Oh, I could definitely see it happening.

One thing I think we've got going for us is the fact that they beat us last season. A lot going against us too, however.

Like, their coach is better than your coach?

Louisiana's high school talent is taking a definite downslide. They don't have a five star in-state for 2008 and will be forced to ship several of their four stars west to Tuscaloosa.

Gimme a break, why in hell do you think Saban is going to get Louisiana to cough up recruits left and right when there are numerous other prestigous colleges to recruit them and the big very successful state school in their own borders?

Aren't you sucking on the Saban BS teet just a bit too much?

I fully expect us to sign several of their blue-chippers for the 2008 class. Bookmark this thread and re-open it on NSD. Have your rag ready, as you'll have egg all over your face.

Your comment proves that you know nothing about recruiting or our program in general. I'm not meaning to be a jerk, but there's really no polite way to tell you that.

For example, there's no way that Saban could come into Mobile and get JaMarcus Russell and Chevis Jackson, is there? Especially when other schools are after them and there are two SEC schools within their state. Right?

gotta explain this to me... how will they be "forced"? uat the highest bidder again ala memphis? 2nd) how is louisiana going to ship kids WEST and end up in tuscaloser? or did you mean texas? Geography not your strong point? :poke:

gotta explain this to me... how will they be "forced"? uat the highest bidder again ala memphis? 2nd) how is louisiana going to ship kids WEST and end up in tuscaloser? or did you mean texas? Geography not your strong point? :poke:

What a screw-up on my part. East! Thanks for pointing that out.

The "forced" comment will be due to their inability to convince recruits to play for the in-state school.

Archived