Ever heard this Bear quote?

quietfan

I had not heard of this quote from Bryant , but maybe some of you have:

http://www.al.com/sports/press-register/pf...&thispage=2

Dunnavant points out that perhaps Bryant's two most famous players -- Joe Namath and Kenny Stabler -- were both known as much for what they did off the field as well as on the gridiron.

Which reminds me of one of the most interesting -- and misunderstood -- comments that Bryant ever uttered, a remark that still resonates today.

"If you got any milk-drinking, tie-wearing, book-reading, church-going young men who are students, you send them to Stanford," Bryant once said. "But if you got any whiskey-drinking, skirt-chasing, hell-raising young men who are athletes, you send 'em to ol' Bear and we'll kick some ass!"

Bryant did that, of course. But just as important, the Bear also molded his players into men of character. :blink: Can the same be said of today's coaches?

I've heard lots of folks describe the middle-aged Namath & Stabler as "a couple of real characters", but not so much as "men of character".

If that true, it's easy to see how well Joe Namouth and Kenny Stabler fit in. B)

Let alone the current state of the program.

If Bahr said it, it's more solid than the word of God hisself.

We need us some crim'nals, here at the capstone. Leave them well diciplined church boys to them barners.

That alleged Bryant quote doesn't ring true to me. Sorry, but I'd have to see a reputable source before I believed a word of that. Bahr was too politic. He was always trying to suck up to the "mommas and daddies" as he called them. I don't think he would have said that, at least not for public consumption.

That alleged Bryant quote doesn't ring true to me. Sorry, but I'd have to see a reputable source before I believed a word of that. Bahr was too politic. He was always trying to suck up to the "mommas and daddies" as he called them. I don't think he would have said that, at least not for public consumption.

From what I saw out of Joe Willy on tv slobbering on the good looking ESPN chick (Suzy Colbert or whatever her name is) and what I hear about the Snakes escapades down aroung Gulf Shores, the Bear really taught his "boys" well.

,,,and what I hear about the Snakes escapades down aroung Gulf Shores, the Bear really taught his "boys" well.

Whatever you may have heard about the Snake is only the tip of the iceberg. A very large iceberg I might add.

PS - You could add Mike Dubose to the list as well. He used to recruit the Mobile area for a while. I saw him out and about several times.

Archived