Dontae Aycock

RunInRed

Several are reporting Dontae Aycock has been dismissed from the team dues to a violation of team rules. More details to come...

Auburn dismisses running back Dontae Aycock

By Charles Goldberg -- The Birmingham News

dontaeaycock12couchjpg-57e2fec4a4f390c7_large.jpg

Auburn has dismissed running back Dontae Aycock for a violation of an undisclosed team rule, the university has announced.

Aycock was redshirted as a freshman last season, but figured to get into the running back rotation as a tailback or at the H-back position in 2010. Aycock worked strictly as a tailback in spring practice.

Aycock was a 5A All-State player as a quarterback in Florida as a high school senior in Tampa, but was signed as a running back by Auburn. He rushed for 1,406 yards and 28 touchdowns, and threw for 1,491 yards and 17 touchdowns as a prep senior. He rushed for 57 touchdowns in his high school career. He originally committed to Georgia Tech, but switched to Auburn late in the recruiting process.

http://blog.al.com/goldmine/2010/05/auburn_dismisses_running_back.html

Auburn dismisses running back Dontae Aycock

By Charles Goldberg -- The Birmingham News

May 21, 2010, 10:25AM

Auburn has dismissed running back Dontae Aycock for a violation of an undisclosed team rule, the university has announced.

Aycock was redshirted as a freshman last season, but figured to get into the running back rotation as a tailback or at the H-back position in 2010. Aycock worked strictly as a tailback in spring practice.

Aycock was a 5A All-State player as a quarterback in Florida as a high school senior in Tampa, but was signed as a running back by Auburn. He rushed for 1,406 yards and 28 touchdowns, and threw for 1,491 yards and 17 touchdowns as a prep senior. He rushed for 57 touchdowns in his high school career. He originally committed to Georgia Tech, but switched to Auburn late in the recruiting process.

Another player, quarterback Tyrik Rollison, was formally given his release by the university this week. He's leaving on good terms, and is transferring to Sam Houston State. He announced his intentions in February and did not participate in spring practice.

link: http://blog.al.com/goldmine/2010/05/auburn_dismisses_running_back.html

We never really counted on Aycock but we sure could have used him for depth. Hate it for the young man. Let's hope Dyer comes in ready...

Bryan Matthews is reporting Aycock's dismissal on AUC. No details except that it was due to violation of team rules.

We never really counted on Aycock but we sure could have used him for depth. Hate it for the young man. Let's hope Dyer comes in ready...

Um, I was counting on Aycock. This sucks.

What I meant was, up to this point, he hasn't been a big contributor.

What I meant was, up to this point, he hasn't been a big contributor.

Ahh. True.

Does this open up a legitimate shot at a backup spot in the backfield for LaDarious Phillips? I know they're 2 distinctly different athletes, but if bodies are needed....

I hear Ladarious Phillips hasn't exactly been hitting the workouts like a guy wanting to play running back. More likely that he ends up on the D-line unless he gets after it.

As a guy who has never played on a football team, I was wondering if someone could elaborate on what typically gets someone removed from a team. I am aware that schools take the high road and rarely disclose the greater detail to situations like these, but what type of action would warrant such a swift and strong response?

I would have liked to keep him for depth but I'm glad Chizik is forcing these kids to keep their nose clean if they expect to be a part of the team. I hope things go well for the young man.

I hear Ladarious Phillips hasn't exactly been hitting the workouts like a guy wanting to play running back. More likely that he ends up on the D-line unless he gets after it.

Interesting. Well, if he does end up on the D line, I'm sure Coach Rocker will make him realize it probably would've been easier to do his homework this summer :)

That leaves us thin at RB. Last spring DB looked like it was going to be a strong point, then the injuries started.

This isn't tragic, team-wise, but it's certainly not good.

On the question of L. Phillips, I think he was recruited for DT from the get-go. I've seen him play, and he's not what you'd look for in a college running back. Redshirt him a year and he could really help at DT.

Uhhhh...how to put this...anyone hearing things about Aycock asking for a transfer before the dismissal...and other things that make me uncomfortable?

We need someone close to the program to chime in. AU Homer

Uhhhh...how to put this...anyone hearing things about Aycock asking for a transfer before the dismissal...and other things that make me uncomfortable?

We need someone close to the program to chime in. AU Homer

He violated team rules and was going to get suspended for several games...instead of taking the suspension he just asked for a release. My guess is he probably realized that he'd get passed over by the younger Dyer during his suspension.

If anyone thinks this was as simple as "I requested a transfer and they kicked me off the team", then critical thinking isn't high on their list of skills. Others have requested transfers and been granted them, so it's not like wanting to transfer is some cardinal sin in this staff's eyes. And I hardly think Auburn would announce that it was a "violation of team rules" knowing that it was simply him wanting to transfer. It just makes no sense.

If anyone thinks this was as simple as "I requested a transfer and they kicked me off the team", then critical thinking isn't high on their list of skills. Others have requested transfers and been granted them, so it's not like wanting to transfer is some cardinal sin in this staff's eyes. And I hardly think Auburn would announce that it was a "violation of team rules" knowing that it was simply him wanting to transfer. It just makes no sense.

Exactly. Other players have asked for a release without being dismissed. Why would Chizik do it differently with Aycock?

Let me rephrase...can someone who actually KNOWS something, please comment on this? LOL!!!

AU Homer

Exactly. Other players have asked for a release without being dismissed. Why would Chizik do it differently with Aycock?

If he asked to transfer it was probably just ahead of the dismissal notice he knew was coming.

Whatever he did it must have been major. Eric Smith had trouble and was suspended a few games, all the stuff with Rollison and he departs on good terms.

It doesn't make any sense that Aycock was shown the door for next to nothing. As Titan said, a number of others have been granted a transfer with no problem.

I know Aycock's HS coaches are running off at the mouth but that's probably more of a CYA thing than any facts.

Whatever he did it must have been major. Eric Smith had trouble and was suspended a few games, all the stuff with Rollison and he departs on good terms.

It doesn't make any sense that Aycock was shown the door for next to nothing. As Titan said, a number of others have been granted a transfer with no problem.

I know Aycock's HS coaches are running off at the mouth but that's probably more of a CYA thing than any facts.

May be...thanks for all of the input, guys.

AU Homer

• 1 month later...

Looks like he is going to try and walk on at South Florida. He'll have to sit out a year. I don't know what planet I was on when this story broke because I never knew he was gone :no:

http://blog.al.com/goldmine/2010/07/auburn_notes_dontae_aycock_fin.html

I'm glad he's found somewhere else to play. I'll be rooting for him in 2011. USF is probably my favorite Big East school, if I had one, so it'll be nice to see him succeed there.

Archived