i itch, therefore i am.

went to the church's clean up day this past saturday...i had the pleasure of clearing out brush from the backside of the church....

here it is thursday, and i've these red dots that itch like crazy....

i need a benedryl bath!

anybody got any suggestions?

ct

Go get some Aveeno Oatmeal Bath Soak...

I am very allergic to poison ivy and poison oak...if I look at it, i will get it....

I was told to use the aveeno oatmeal stuff....you just run you a bath and drop this oatmeal soak in there and hop in and sit for about 15-30 mins...and you will be much relieved...

Bleach or fire. I'd rather it hurt than itch...

Actually, bleach with a little water does help to dry it out but I'm not sure how healthy it is. Calamine lotion is the old standby. You can go to the doctor and get a shot for it as well.

Most all drug stores sell chigger-rid (I know Wal-Mart does). Buy some and apply, they will be gone shortly.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/h...0322517443.html

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/oz...1034819943.html

Went hiking in Florida in the summer again. I'll never learn. :)

Anyway, when I stopped at Eckerd's a couple of days later, I asked the

pharmacist what I could do...and said "don't tell me to use nail polish!"

They were out of "Chigger-Rid," a name product, but she stopped and thought a

minute. "The active ingredient in 'Chigger-Rid' is euculyptus oil...here, try

this."

She handed me Campho-phenique for cold sores! Figuring what the heck, I tried

it. And it worked! Itching and swelling stopped the next day.

http://www.backcountry.net/arch/at/0008/msg00672.html

The oatmeal bath or the shot will give you pretty fast relief.

just bot the oatmeal bath...can't wait to get home & give it a soak.

It makes your skin soft too! The lady will love it!

look...if i were any more attractive to Mrs. CT, i'd never be able to leave the house!

:P

look...if i were any more attractive to Mrs. CT, i'd never be able to leave the house!

:P

Humble as well I see. :D

itch update...

i itch still...it's been a week.

some of the old spots are 'ok', but new ones keep popping up!

this is so baaaaaaaaaad. Mrs. CT doesn't want anything to do w/ me while i'm itching! :banghead:

ct

If you have new spots, it means they are breeding and multiplying. Be careful, rumor has it that they morph into crabs! :rolleyes:

Go to the doctor and take the shot. You'll be happy that you did. The real key is not to itch but sometimes that is near to impossible because everytime you do it spreads.

I had it on my face once and did not know it yet. I shaved and 2 days later....bad memories....

I'm sorry, the crabs was a poor attempt at humor. Don't worry abour that.

Chiggers cause intense itching and are so small that you can't see them with the naked eye. You may not even be aware of their presence until you begin to itch or notice the raised, red spots that signal their presence in your skin. The big troublemakers are the chigger larvae that attach to human and animal "hosts" to feed. They don't suck blood or burrow into skin. Instead, they sink their tiny mouthparts into a skin pore or hair follicle and inject a digestive enzyme that liquefies skin cells. The fluid also hardens the surrounding flesh forming a feeding tube through which the larvae suck the liquefied skin cells. After about four days of feeding, the larvae drop off, leaving behind red welts that can continue to itch for a week or longer. Chiggers don't cause disease, but if you scratch the welts they can become infected.

If you think you may have been exposed, be sure to launder clothes in hot (125-degree) water as soon as possible after returning home, and shower and soap yourself several times. Bathing in hot water after exposure may dislodge the chiggers themselves but won't get rid of the itchy pimples that formed where they were feeding. Antihistamines and corticosteroid creams or lotions usually are recommended to relieve the itching, although I would be inclined to try herbal products first, such as tea tree oil or Tamanu Oil.

Andrew Weil, MD

http://health.yahoo.com/ate/drweil/alldaily/2004/01/20040106

Archived