Nick Fairley - Lombardi Award Winner (updated)

BigBlue

Looks like Fairley won.

Auburn defensive tackle Nick Fairley has won the Lombardi Award for nation's best lineman.

Fairley wins Lombardi Award as best lineman

10.26p%2Bfairley.jpg

Auburn defensive tackle Nick Fairley won the the Rotary Lombardi Award on Wednesday night. The award is given to the top offensive or defensive lineman in the country.

He received the award in a ceremony in Houston. Clemson defensive end Da'Quan Bowers, Iowa defensive end Adrian Clayborn and TCU center Jake Kirkpatrick were also up for it.

Fairley led the SEC in sacks (10.5) and tackles for a loss (21). He set the school record in TFLs.

Auburn's only other Lombardi Award winner is current defensive line coach Tracy Rocker, who won in 1988.

http://wareagleextra.blogspot.com/2010/12/dt-nick-fairley-wins-lombardi-award.html

I hope people understand how much Coach Rocker means to the Program. I credit his coaching just as much as Fairly's ability. Congrats to Both.

War Nick! He was robbed of the Bronko Nagurski award the other day. If he can land the Outland tomorrow night he will have duplicated his coaches feat.

Fairley: “I saw the smile on Rocker’s face and knew that he’s very proud of me. I saw my mom and dad and I knew they’re proud of me too."

@AUBlog

Way to go Nick! Hopefully he gets the Outland too. What a great achievement =)

He lives next to me, hopefully I see him before I head back home and can give him a congrats in person

:cheer:

EDIT: Ok, so I see Nick isn't a finalist for the Outland Trophy.... what?

I deserve thanks from Nick for I gave him good mojo. When we met his family and took a picture in Oxford at Tiger Walk, instead of "cheese!", I had us all say "Lombardi!". This was a few days after it was announced he was a finalist. :big:

Great family and they're very proud of their boy. We didn't get to meet his father, for he's currently disabled and was on the bus with the team. His mom and various other family couldn't have been nicer.

Archived