Second period was the downfall of the 2011 AU Tigers

StatTiger

Looking back over the past 31 seasons from 1981-2011, Auburn's second period was the downfall of the 2011 Auburn Tigers.

• During the 2nd period, Auburn was -68 points during 2011, the worst quarter since 1981. The second worst quarter behind Auburn's 2011 2nd quarter was -35 points (2000 1st quarter).

• Looking at the average points scored per quarter and the average points allowed, Auburn's 2nd period during 2011 ranked as the 30th best offensive 2nd quarter since 1981 and the 31st best defensive 2nd quarter out of 31 teams.

• It was a complete collapse on both sides of the football. Considering that nearly 90 percent of Auburn's games have been decided by halftime since 1981, having a total collapse during the 2nd period was devastating for the 2011 Auburn Tigers.

• Auburn scored 10 points or more during the 2nd period in 2 of 13 games but allowed 10 or more pts during the same period in 10 of 13 games.

Average Ranking of Auburn's scoring offense by quarter since 1981:

2009:

1st: 5th

2nd: 11th

3rd: 5th

4th: 8th

2010:

1st: 2nd

2nd: 1st

3rd: 3rd

4th: 2nd

2011:

1st: 6th

2nd: 30th

3rd: 13th

4th: 19th

The 2011 Auburn offense had a solid start during the first quarter with the No. 6 best scoring average over the past 31 seasons. It was the second quarter, where they dropped to No. 30 and failed to recover during the final 2 periods.

Interesting info. How did the defensive performances stack up quarter-by-quarter compared to past seasons? Based purely off memories of last season, it seems like teams basically ran wind-sprints from about the second quarter through the end of the game. Just wondering if the defensive performances in the 3rd and 4th were as bad as they seem in my memory.

Also, I bet a huge chunk of that first quarter disparity in 2000 was attributable to the Florida Gators. They were up either 21 or 28 to 0 in Gainesville, and then jumped on us 17-0 in Atlanta (without looking it up... that seems correct). I was at both of those games. They were over before the start of the second quarter.

Interesting info. How did the defensive performances stack up quarter-by-quarter compared to past seasons? Based purely off memories of last season, it seems like teams basically ran wind-sprints from about the second quarter through the end of the game. Just wondering if the defensive performances in the 3rd and 4th were as bad as they seem in my memory.

Also, I bet a huge chunk of that first quarter disparity in 2000 was attributable to the Florida Gators. They were up either 21 or 28 to 0 in Gainesville, and then jumped on us 17-0 in Atlanta (without looking it up... that seems correct). I was at both of those games. They were over before the start of the second quarter.

The -68 pts in the second period of 2011 was really bad and I mentioned the 1st period of 2000 (-35 pts) just to show how bad it was. In reagrds to the 1st period of 2000, AU was held to 3 pts or less in the first period in 9 of 13 games and 0 pts on 7 occasions. You were right about UF, who scored 14 pts in the first period during both games, while blanking AU in both games.

I previously documented the importance of playing well early on, showing Auburn's offensive production during their first 4 possessions of the game.

Yesterday, I showed Auburn's second period was the worst period over the past 31 seasons (1981-2011). During that period, Auburn was outscored by 68 points.

Auburn was defeated 5 times during 2011 by at least 14 points. Take a look at Auburn's numbers during possessions 5-8 in those 5 losses...

Auburn's offense gained a total of 228-yards on 99 plays, scoring 7 points during possessions 5-8, which is basically the 2nd period entering into the 3rd period.

Auburn's defense allowed 1141-yards on 138 plays for 93 points during the same time period.

Just looking at the losses to Arkansas, LSU, Georgia and Alabama during Auburn's possessions 5 thru 8 and you have...

91-yards gained on 71 plays (1.28 YPP) for 0 points, while the defense allowed 835-yards on 103 plays (8.11 YPP) for 72 points.

I previously documented the importance of playing well early on, showing Auburn's offensive production during their first 4 possessions of the game.

Yesterday, I showed Auburn's second period was the worst period over the past 31 seasons (1981-2011). During that period, Auburn was outscored by 68 points.

Auburn was defeated 5 times during 2011 by at least 14 points. Take a look at Auburn's numbers during possessions 5-8 in those 5 losses...

Auburn's offense gained a total of 228-yards on 99 plays, scoring 7 points during possessions 5-8, which is basically the 2nd period entering into the 3rd period.

Auburn's defense allowed 1141-yards on 138 plays for 93 points during the same time period.

Just looking at the losses to Arkansas, LSU, Georgia and Alabama during Auburn's possessions 5 thru 8 and you have...

91-yards gained on 71 plays (1.28 YPP) for 0 points, while the defense allowed 835-yards on 103 plays (8.11 YPP) for 72 points.

Ouch.... :slapfh:

Excellent research as always Stat! It is easy to see by watching the games that we did appear to be hanging around until roughly the second qaurter, when the wheels fell off!

I am curious to see how the 2004 team ranked per quarter. I would think that that team was ranked pretty highly in all four quarters.

Thanks again for all the effort you put into your analysis and WAR EAGLE!!

Excellent research as always Stat! It is easy to see by watching the games that we did appear to be hanging around until roughly the second qaurter, when the wheels fell off!

I am curious to see how the 2004 team ranked per quarter. I would think that that team was ranked pretty highly in all four quarters.

Thanks again for all the effort you put into your analysis and WAR EAGLE!!

During the last 8 regular season games, Auburn's offense gained 345-yards on 141 plays, scoring 3 pts in their possessions 5-8. That comes to 10.8 yards netted per possession from 32 offensive possessions and only 3 points.

Archived