Mary Anne Marsh on Hannity and Colmes

DKW 86

Link will come as transcripts are posted.

Dem Strategist Marsh says Natl Guard "betrayed their country" in Vietnam. Hannity told her to "apologize or never come back." She stayed fast with her statement that Natl Guardsmen "Betrayed their country."

Sometimes the best you can do is wade back and let your opponent keep killing themselves.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Link will come as transcripts are posted.

Dem Strategist marsh says Natl Guard "betrayed their country" in Vietnam. hannity told her to apologize or never come back. She stayed fast with her statement that Natl Guardsmen "Betrayed their country."

DKW, you're forgetting that it's ok for them to do it.

I knew there was something about that big-mouthed witch that I never liked and now she has justifed that feeling for me. If anybody tries to defend statements like that, then then need to not waste their breath, because they can just go ahead and kiss my ---! Politics aside, that moron just called alot of great men and women that served back then traitors because of her political views of President Bush. How dumb can you be to do something like that?! She supports John Kerry's anti-war stance then wants to be critical of those that joined the National Guard and accuse them of avoiding the war. Umm...excuse me, but does that not contradict herself. I really wonder if she feels the same about the pacifists that refused to fight that she does about the National Guard members. Does she think Muhammed Ali betrayed the US or does she think he is a hero for standing for his beliefs by refusing to fight? Hmm...I figure I know the answers to those questions, which makes this freakin' waste of good oxygen even more hypocritical.

Did I mention that what she said just flat out pisses me off?!

BF, if you find it impossible to stay on topic, just keep your meandering thoughts to yourself. The subject is not "what's your opinion of Sean Hannity", it is a statement made by a Democratic strategist on air. Your thoughts on that subject are welcomed. The other stray thoughts or random electrical impulses shooting through that dome of yours are not...unless you want to start a separate thread on those things that can duly be ignored.

Dem Strategist Marsh says Natl Guard "betrayed their country" in Vietnam. Hannity told her to "apologize or never come back." She stayed fast with her statement that Natl Guardsmen "Betrayed their country."

David, have you got a link to this yet?

5) No "unsubstantiated" rumors. Rule of thumb, if you dont have a link for it, dont post it. Keeps the Blue Sky to a minimum. Even if you site from another Forum, that is okay. Just dont hallucinate new rumors. We are not Tider Insider.

6) When referring to an article, give us a link, ALWAYS! If there is no link, then give us bibliography type info, as in author, article name, magazine-book title, etc. We understand that there might not be an Internet link for Callier's December 1941.

Al, you sound like the kids on a trip, "Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?" :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Al, you sound like the kids on a trip, "Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?" :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry...I didn't mean to offend you. It's just that this is a very 'over-the-top' allegation that David made and with his history of embellishing when it comes to things he sees on TV I'd just like to know exactly what she said. As a National Guardsman, maybe it'll be what it takes for me to hate her as much as ranger12 and David seem to. If it can't be substantiated then we'll have some different issues to discuss.

No, It may take up to a week for transcripts to hit the website.

Then I wonder if your original post shouldn't have waited until then? How do we know she said what you say she said? What was the context? What else might she have said? What was the question she was responding to?

They do have Michelle Malkin's discussion of the merits of racial profiling available, though. Why is Fox so slow to provide its consumers with transcripts? MSNBC has all of them up within hours of broadcast in most cases.

We've relaxed the link rule for issues such as this in the past. Not a big deal.

I don't know why Fox is so slow. They used to have a third-party service that handled this for them but stopped using them around August of last year I think. They don't seem to have found a replacement.

Al, you sound like the kids on a trip, "Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?"  :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

Sorry...I didn't mean to offend you. It's just that this is a very 'over-the-top' allegation that David made and with his history of embellishing when it comes to things he sees on TV I'd just like to know exactly what she said. As a National Guardsman, maybe it'll be what it takes for me to hate her as much as ranger12 and David seem to. If it can't be substantiated then we'll have some different issues to discuss.

BTW, I never saw it on TV. Heard it on the Radio.

Al, you sound like the kids on a trip, "Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?Are we there yet?"  :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

BTW, I never saw it on TV. Heard it on the Radio.

Sorry. Let me amend my statement to include all media outlets because I doubt that it matters. BTW, which station carries 'Hannity and Colmes' on the radio? Maybe it will have the transcript available. Or, was it maybe just a commercial you heard? Or just a little sound byte?

I knew each one has his own individual radio show but I didn't know 'Hannity and Colmes' was aired on radio. Fox says nothing about it nor do their individual bios. Hmm.

We've relaxed the link rule for issues such as this in the past. Not a big deal.

So, I can basically say I saw (or heard) anything I want and it's not a big deal, even if it's not so? I realize that we're not journalists or anything but that seems like a suspect way to operate. Would it be OK to say that CTT announced on some talk show that he was quitting even if he weren't? (Two days later) Oh, no, I didn't mean quitting coaching at AU, he said he was going to quit beating his wife. (Two more days later) No, not beating her like abusing her, he said beating her at Spades. (Two more days pass) I didn't SEE him on TV, I HEARD him on the radio. Links coming!!!

There's a door if you don't like it. As I said, we have accepted a "links coming" before, particularly if the person is quoting something they heard on TV or the radio and particularly if it's coming from someone with a generally trusted reputation. I would extend the same courtesy to you. I might not to some other less trusted people.

If you want to maintain an "I'll believe it when I see it" stance, have at it. And if he doesn't produce a link, call him on it. I'm sure your computer has some sort of calendar with a reminder function on it. Set one up so you can rub it all in his face if he never produces a link or if the transcript proves to say something other than what he said it did.

Sheesh...did the pedantic flu come around and make you its b*tch?

You probably won't believe it since the source is National Review, but Jay Nordlinger, who was on Hannity & Colmes the same evening as Ms. Walsh quotes her:

The oddest thing happened on Hannity & Colmes Monday night. A Democratic strategist, Mary Anne Marsh, was giving it to President Bush, as you might have expected. But here's what you might not have expected: She said, "Bush betrayed this country about why we went to war in Iraq" — so far, so good (or rather, so far, so normal) — "just like he betrayed them when he didn't fight in Vietnam." Say what? Bush betrayed his country because he served in the Guard, not in Vietnam itself? Are you kidding?

No, she was not kidding — she repeated her charge, that Bush had "betrayed his country." Okay — so must have every eligible man who did not serve in Vietnam. All traitors. Including Bill Clinton, of course, and many others Mary Anne Marsh must admire. That is the criterion: If you were eligible and did not serve in Vietnam, you "betrayed your country."

http://www.nationalreview.com/impromptus/i...00408250939.asp

Now you might argue that she was mainly using it as a bash at Bush, but unless Nordlinger is lying, she clearly said that Bush betrayed his country by not serving in Vietnam. Bush served in the National Guard as did a lot of other eligible people, including my dad. If she's not saying that going into the guard during 'Nam was "betray[ing] your country", then what was she saying?

There's a door if you don't like it.  As I said, we have accepted a "links coming" before, particularly if the person is quoting something they heard on TV or the radio and particularly if it's coming from someone with a generally trusted reputation.  I would extend the same courtesy to you.  I might not to some other less trusted people.

If you want to maintain an "I'll believe it when I see it" stance, have at it.  And if he doesn't produce a link, call him on it.  I'm sure your computer has some sort of calendar with a reminder function on it.  Set one up so you can rub it all in his face if he never produces a link or if the transcript proves to say something other than what he said it did.

Sheesh...did the pedantic flu come around and make you its b*tch?

I look forward to the transcript, too, because this is the closest I can find, and even though its over the top, it is a far cry from what David seemed to hear:

Democratic strategist Mary Anne Marsh, speaking moments ago on “Hannity and Colmes”:  “George Bush betrayed his country by sending us to war on false pretenses, and George Bush betrayed his country by not fighting in Vietnam.”

Yes.  You read that right.  “George Bush betrayed his country by not fighting in Vietnam.”

"George Bush betrayed his country by not fighting in Vietnam."

Given an opportunity to correct this rather incredible statement, Ms. Marsh declined, arguing that she had nothing to correct—that it was a fact that George Bush betrayed his country by not fighting in Vietnam.

Betrayed his country. By not fighting in Vietnam.

http://www.celluloid-wisdom.com/pw/index.php/weblog/entry/you_decide_2004_cont1/

I also look forward to hearing which radio station David heard Hannity and Colmes on.

I look forward to the transcript, too, because this is the closest I can find, and even though its over the top, it is a far cry from what David seemed to hear.

Why is it a far cry? Was she saying the Bush betrayed his country by some other means? She was clearly referring to him going the National Guard route instead of signing up for the regular army and going to 'Nam. Problem is, Bush wasn't the only person who missed going to 'Nam by being in the Guard. If Bush betrayed the country by doing this, then by implication so did every one else who took that route. Is there really some other way to read this that I'm not seeing?

And has it occured to you that perhaps either Hannity had the clip on his radio show the next day or even Rush? Is it really that big of a technological leap?

I look forward to the transcript, too, because this is the closest I can find, and even though its over the top, it is a far cry from what David seemed to hear.

Why is it a far cry? Was she saying the Bush betrayed his country by some other means? She was clearly referring to him going the National Guard route instead of signing up for the regular army and going to 'Nam. Problem is, Bush wasn't the only person who missed going to 'Nam by being in the Guard. If Bush betrayed the country by doing this, then by implication so did every one else who took that route. Is there really some other way to read this that I'm not seeing?

And has it occured to you that perhaps either Hannity had the clip on his radio show the next day or even Rush? Is it really that big of a technological leap?

I'm not defending her comments because I don't agree with them, but she could have meant that by pulling strings to get a coveted pilot slot and then not even showing up for your flight physical and facing no real consequences for not training at what the taxpayers spent a bunch of bucks for you to become, and then apparently not even showing up regularly after pulling additional strings to work on a partisan campaign, was a betrayal in a sense that would not apply to someone who got into the guard without pulling strings and diligently showed up for what they were trained for. She could have the view that Bush cynically used the Guard in a way most members did not. If she had wanted to make a blanket statement about the Guard, as David stated she did, then it seems she would have done so.

She may just share Colin Powell's anger:

"I am angry that so many of the sons of the powerful and well-placed managed to wrangle slots in Reserve and National Guard units. Of the many tragedies of Vietnam, this raw class discrimination strikes me as the most damaging to the ideal that all Americans are created equal and owe equal allegiance to their country." Colin Powell

Isn't Powell saying that someone in George Bush's shoes failed to show "equal allegiance to the country" as compared to those who went to Viet Nam because they lacked the influence. That's getting close to a form of betrayal, is it not?

If Bush betrayed the country by doing this, then by implication so did every one else who took that route. Is there really some other way to read this that I'm not seeing?

Did all of those other people share this attitude as well:

I was not prepared to shoot my eardrum out with a shotgun in order to get a deferment. Nor was I willing to go to Canada. So I chose to better myself by learning how to fly airplanes.  George W. Bush  1990

If so, maybe she did mean to imply that they too betrayed their country. If not, maybe she just meant Dubya. Big picture.

Archived