Chizik gets job for SEC Network

WFE12

Happy for Gene, he's a good man,just didn't work out for the team in the long run

Dan Wolken, USA TODAY Sports

Gene Chizik is back in the SEC – sort of.

Chizik, who coached Auburn to the national title in 2010, is joining the SEC Network as an analyst, he told USA TODAY Sports on Thursday. "Obviously it was a great opportunity, and when the whole possibility of the SEC Network was announced I was really excited about it and the opportunity to stay involved in football, to stay around the game and to get on the media side intrigued me," Chizik said. "We're looking forward to moving forward with this."

Chizik, who also co-hosts a radio show on Sirius/XM, will be in studio beginning at halftime of Tennessee's game against Utah State on Aug. 31. His primary role will be as a studio analyst on Mondays and Tuesdays but will contribute to other SEC Network programming.

Glad Gene is looking forward to moving forward. :) Sounds like he is taking it day by day, and media practice is good. :)

Chizik said. "We're looking forward to moving forward with this."

OK Y'all, I am just kidding don't flip on me!

Glad Gene is looking forward to moving forward. :) Sounds like he is taking it day by day, and media practice is good. :)

There's no question about it.

OK, Halftime of UT vs Utah st. Chizik was asked to give his top four playoff teams right now. His picks = FSU, Oklahoma, UGA(i think) and Alabama(he said they didnt look great but they are alabama) next two are Michigan st and Auburn. Damn what is wrong with this dude. By the looks of yesterday i think we kill bammer and FSU.

OK, Halftime of UT vs Utah st. Chizik was asked to give his top four playoff teams right now. His picks = FSU, Oklahoma, UGA(i think) and Alabama(he said they didnt look great but they are alabama) next two are Michigan st and Auburn. Damn what is wrong with this dude. By the looks of yesterday i think we kill bammer and FSU.

Meh. I think he was trying to avoid being perceived as an Auburn homer and went along with the ESPN groupthink as far as Bama goes. He is definitely playing to and SEC audience, though, with 3 SEC teams in his top 6.

He said it was what he thought as of right now. He may change it. He likely will change it as the season progresses. We'll get our shot at bama in November. FSU will be in the playoff unless something strange happens. Let's just concentrate on taking care of what we can control. We take care of business and it will all shake out.

Glad Gene is looking forward to moving forward. :)/> Sounds like he is taking it

day by day, and media practice is good. :)/>

There's no question about it.

I wonder if he had a "good week of practice."

I think he's done a great job so far. He knows football and is well spoken.

Totally agree. He knows football, just has problems managing people. Met him in Atlanta during a book signing and really liked him. No BS to him.

I agree but he has a low hurdle to jump.....McElroy, Tebow, Finebaum, Palmer. ? .....hate to say it but most coaches would look good by comparison.

I think it's great to see him not have to do "coach speak." When he was here, I always thought he sounded either evasive or shallow. I've really enjoyed his commentary and football knowledge - great job!

I think it's great to see him not have to do "coach speak." When he was here, I always thought he sounded either evasive or shallow. I've really enjoyed his commentary and football knowledge - great job!

^^^^^^ This!!!!

^^^^^^ This!!!!

Totally agree. Love Coach Chiz. Lowest point I saw was referenced earlier..."Alabama, because they are Alabama. .." just reinforced the entitlement mentality. High point for me was the behind-the-scenes info on.typical practice week, day by day focus, duration, padding, etc. All around great commentary and very enlightening!

I agree but he has a low hurdle to jump.....McElroy, Tebow, Finebaum, Palmer. ? .....hate to say it but most coaches would look good by comparison.

I actually personally think McElroy outshines everybody you listed on the network from an analysis standpoint. Chiz does a good job, but everytime I listen to him I can't help but think he's responsible for the biggest collapse in NCAA history. It's like taking Matt Millen's analysis with any ounce of seriousness. The resumes speak for themselves.

I actually personally think McElroy outshines everybody you listed on the network from an analysis standpoint. Chiz does a good job, but everytime I listen to him I can't help but think he's responsible for the biggest collapse in NCAA history. It's like taking Matt Millen's analysis with any ounce of seriousness. The resumes speak for themselves.

Just because Chizik has thus far been unsuccessful as a head coach doesn't mean he doesn't know his stuff. Being a good head coach is about so much more than Xs and Os.

Archived