Possible Football Rule Changes

WarTiger

More discussion on the 3 yard versus 1 yard rule for offensive linemen. Not a done deal yet and more opposition.

http://www.si.com/co...-punt-pass-pork

Why can't the officials enforce the existing rule? It really falls on their shoulders, are they too engaged in other areas of the play? Are they half blind? Are they too old an out of shape to execute their duties in live action that they can't manage the game properly?

These same exact questions came up last season during the 10 second rule proposal. Now here we are questions the officials ability to throw a flag when they see and olineman go beyond 3 yrds of the LOS.

More discussion on the 3 yard versus 1 yard rule for offensive linemen. Not a done deal yet and more opposition.

Why can't the officials enforce the existing rule? It really falls on their shoulders, are they too engaged in other areas of the play? Are they half blind? Are they too old an out of shape to execute their duties in live action that they can't manage the game properly?

These same exact questions came up last season during the 10 second rule proposal. Now here we are questions the officials ability to throw a flag when they see and olineman go beyond 3 yrds of the LOS.

I think that's what we'll end up with for next year. They'll go with emphasis on the rule as it exists and see what the results are

I think that's what we'll end up with for next year. They'll go with emphasis on the rule as it exists and see what the results are

Coaches know which "violations" are called and which ones are ignored.

How long did teams get away with pick plays by the WR to spring a team mate free for a short pass. Once it got called against ND in the FSU game, we saw it called all over the place...and I bet that play is out of most playbooks by now.

Coaches know which "violations" are called and which ones are ignored.

How long did teams get away with pick plays by the WR to spring a team mate free for a short pass. Once it got called against ND in the FSU game, we saw it called all over the place...and I bet that play is out of most playbooks by now.

I know that is how the bammers beat us in 2009. Glaring!!

I guess smart coaches expose the weaknesses of his opponent AND the weaknesses of the officials to gain an advantage? Gotta do what you can get away with to get a W any way you can.

Yep. I hate that it's our play that is the example everyone is using. Just because it's close doesn't mean it's against the rules??? I mean we are trying to score, and it's football.

Well at least it's not changing for this year. But obviously "some folks" are pushing for some defensive advantage. Why not make the current 3yd rule a challengeable play? I mean 3yds is 3yds and there is no guessing with today's technology. I mean they put the damn line of scrimmage, first down marker, and in field goal range line across the screen. So why not the 3yd one? Also they know where the damn ball is snapped from so they should be able to count 3yds on a replay. If they ever do enforce the 1yd rule, we might as well just go to telling the defense this is a run play or this is a pass play. Heaven forbid they have to THINK on the football field.

They can effectively enforce any rule if they will actually make a conscious effort to do so. That's all I have ever asked about anything. If you know what the rules are and that they will enforced across the board then you know how to deal with that.

Well at least it's not changing for this year. But obviously "some folks" are pushing for some defensive advantage. Why not make the current 3yd rule a challengeable play? I mean 3yds is 3yds and there is no guessing with today's technology. I mean they put the damn line of scrimmage, first down marker, and in field goal range line across the screen. So why not the 3yd one? Also they know where the damn ball is snapped from so they should be able to count 3yds on a replay. If they ever do enforce the 1yd rule, we might as well just go to telling the defense this is a run play or this is a pass play. Heaven forbid they have to THINK on the football field.

The games are long enough now...more challenges just delays the action. I like to get it right but I have a sense that officials now rely on the challenge to "get it right" if they miss something. This year, we can expect the 3 yard rule to be a "point of emphasis"...that's good enough for me.

The games are long enough now...more challenges just delays the action. I like to get it right but I have a sense that officials now rely on the challenge to "get it right" if they miss something. This year, we can expect the 3 yard rule to be a "point of emphasis"...that's good enough for me.

Exactly, I think just more emphasis needs be placed on enforcing the rules instead of changing it to make it easier to enforce. Seems like a one yard would tougher to enforce than a three yard. Jmo

Well that wouldn't be accurate since not everything is able to be challenged and the coaches only get one challenge per game.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/03/ncaa_eliminates_crop-top_jerse.html

NCAA eliminates 'crop-top' jersey, midriff-baring players will be sent to the sideline.

I thought that this had been the rule since the 70-80's. I know that the bahr was notorious for using short jerseys and tear-aways. Thought it was changed back then. Was wondering why it wasn't called last year

http://www.al.com/sp...-top_jerse.html

NCAA eliminates 'crop-top' jersey, midriff-baring players will be sent to the sideline.

I thought that this had been the rule since the 70-80's. I know that the bahr was notorious for using short jerseys and tear-aways. Thought it was changed back then. Was wondering why it wasn't called last year

I'm not sure why they are passing this off as a "rule change". It's not a rule change. It may be something they are finally going to enforce but its definitely not a change. This rule has been in the book for YEARS...

Jersey. 1. Design. The jersey must have sleeves that completely cover the

shoulder pads. It must not be altered or designed to tear. It must conform

with Rules 1-4-5 and paragraph 3 below. The jersey must be full-length and

tucked into the pants. Vests and/or a second jersey worn concurrently during

the game are prohibited.

Archived