***New Auburn Oaks Thread***

RunInRed

Where is the tree killer living today?

Hopefully under a bridge.

In the desert......

I believe he's down somewhere in Louisiana living with some of his relatives.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where is the tree killer living today?

Hopefully under a bridge.

In the desert......

I believe he's down somewhere in Louisiana living with some of his relatives.

Louisiana, huh? Even better.

• 3 weeks later...

New Toomer's Oak to be planted Wednesday ...

The thriving Toomer's oak on College Street is about to get a new neighbor, as Auburn University plans to swap the struggling oak on Magnolia Avenue with a replacement on Wednesday.

The replacement live oak, which is 40 feet tall and has about a 27-foot spread, was selected from Thoms Trees and Plants' farm in Lake City, Florida.

"It’s going to look almost exactly the same as far as spread and height," said Tim Thoms, the owner and subcontractor hired to locate and install the oaks at Toomer's Corner.

Thoms said he submitted photos of four potential pre-dug trees, with a recommendation for one of them. He said the university went with his recommendation.

He added that the replacement oak leafed out in the spring, and shouldn't suffer much stress from digging because it's pre-dug.

"Since it’s pre-dug, it will probably drop about 20 to 25 percent of the leaves, which is hardly noticeable, really, when you get to that percentage," Thoms said. "That stress comes from the moving, just the actual putting it on the truck and bringing it, just in the transportation of it."

He said the tree should arrive in Auburn on Wednesday, and that swapping the trees will be an easy process.

Once in the ground, keeping it watered will be critical.

"It requires careful monitoring and water, but we have already got everything set up with the drip system," Thoms said. "We may put an overhead spray system on it just depending on what the weather’s like. But we can get it all the water it needs through the drip system we have out there for the existing tree."

Thoms said he's still waiting to hear from the university on what officials want to do with the current oak, which has failed to leaf out after being installed in February. He said that the oak has shown more signs of decline in recent weeks.

"I don't anticipate them planning to keep that tree at all," he said. "As I told them, there’s no salvaging that tree once we take it out of the ground. If it was going to do anything, it would do it in the ground where it’s at. Moving it is just going to kind of be the final nail in the coffin."

Thoms said the current oak suffered root loss and did not have adequate roots to support or produce foliage.

"Even if it does leaf out, it’s not going to look like we want it to look," he said.

Thoms and other experts at the university monitored the oak and tried to encourage root growth and leaf out throughout the spring.

The university also purchased a third oak that was planted in front of the 3-D Studio Arts Building on West Samford Avenue in February. It will serve as a spare in case something happens to the oaks at Toomer's Corner in the future.

http://www.auburnvillager.com/news/article_abd694a6-20c2-11e5-85d1-579869970499.html

The new oak is a spectacular specimen. I've seen it (no pictures but trust me) and it has been out of the ground with a root ball for over a year and is doing fantastic.

Fingers crossed that this new tree takes hold. It's a shame the previous one couldn't pull through.

I think it will. It has some things going for it that the current tree didn't seem to able to overcome.

The thriving Toomer's oak on College Street is about to get a new neighbor, as Auburn University plans to swap the struggling oak on Magnolia Avenue with a replacement on Wednesday.

Oh man, not a fan of this move. Large trees are difficult enough to transplant when dormant. But right in the heat of summer during what should be active growth? If it were up to me, I'd have waited for winter.

Oh man, not a fan of this move. Large trees are difficult enough to transplant when dormant. But right in the heat of summer during what should be active growth? If it were up to me, I'd have waited for winter.

Since it's already out of the ground I don't think it will be too much of a problem. These guys are experts in that sort of thing. They know what they're doing.

Since it's already out of the ground I don't think it will be too much of a problem. These guys are experts in that sort of thing. They know what they're doing.

Exactly - pre dug and maintained out of the ground means the tree will hardly skip a beat. The biggest shock will be the transportation from Florida. They will probably use an anti-transpirant to reduce that stress. Normally trees dug in dormancy and healed in with micro irrigation are best chance for rooting and survival. Think of the tree as a water transfer vessel - roots absorb water actively of passively which carry what it needs for growth throughout the tree. Trees transpire and that loss of water is the key in transplanting success. If the tree transpires more than the roots can absorb, desiccation happens. Misting the tree tops prevents a great deal of that loss and reduces stress and was something recommended long ago.

In the case of the Magnolia Oak, stuff happens. Remember this was the tree that moved during high winds after transplanting. No blame, just stuff.

Here's to a successful planting!

Exactly - pre dug and maintained out of the ground means the tree will hardly skip a beat. The biggest shock will be the transportation from Florida. They will probably use an anti-transpirant to reduce that stress. Normally trees dug in dormancy and healed in with micro irrigation are best chance for rooting and survival. Think of the tree as a water transfer vessel - roots absorb water actively of passively which carry what it needs for growth throughout the tree. Trees transpire and that loss of water is the key in transplanting success. If the tree transpires more than the roots can absorb, desiccation happens. Misting the tree tops prevents a great deal of that loss and reduces stress and was something recommended long ago.

In the case of the Magnolia Oak, stuff happens. Remember this was the tree that moved during high winds after transplanting. No blame, just stuff.

Here's to a successful planting!

Sounds like the tree will not know what's happening to it...unlike the super sensitive Ficus tree in our house....move the pot about 10 feet from inside to outside in the spring and it immediately drops about a quarter of its leaves....though perhaps it just does not like fresh air.

This new tree looks healthy. Hoping it likes this new location. Thanks for the pictures.

• 8 months later...
The new dates for planting the descendant oaks are Thursday, March 10 and Friday, March 11.

CdDtKSwW4AEybhm.jpg

via @AU_Facilities

A portion of the sidewalk along College Street, from Langdon to Toomer’s Corner will be closed to pedestrians during planting. The trees will be planted one at a time, and as each is planted, the portion of the walkway nearest that tree will be closed.

What's the prognosis on the tree on the right? It's always lagged behind the tree on the left in "leafiness". Is it well?

What's the prognosis on the tree on the right? It's always lagged behind the tree on the left in "leafiness". Is it well?

Remember, they replaced it with the back-up, so it's quite a bit behind in becoming established.

Remember, they replaced it with the back-up, so it's quite a bit behind in becoming established.

Oh, I actually didn't remember that happening. I knew it was a possibility, but I didn't think it happened. When was that?

Oh, I actually didn't remember that happening. I knew it was a possibility, but I didn't think it happened. When was that?

July 8.

Archived