Malzahn Previews Spring Practice

RunInRed

Updates ...

And Malzahn is now here. "We're very excited to start spring today. I've been looking forward to this for a while."

Malzahn says goal No. 1 is "to understand base execution of offense, defense and special teams."

Malzahn said punter Jimmy Hutchinson decided to explore other options. He isn't sure whether Hutchinson will transfer or stay on campus.

Malzahn confirms that linebacker Anthony Swain decided to graduate and won't play in 2015.

Braden Smith will begin the spring at left guard while Avery Young will return to right tackle.

Malzahn said four quarterbacks will take snaps at today's practice, but Jeremy Johnson will start out with first-team reps.

Kamryn Pettway is at H-back to begin the spring. Malzahn said it is "a permanent move" and that it's something "he's excited about."

@wareagleextra

Malzahn: QB Jeremy Johnson has to earn starting job "but he's in a very good spot and we have confidence in him."

@jzenor

Three goals: Understand execution of all 3 phases. Get physical edge back. Develop trust throughout

Roc Thomas, Peyton Barber and Jovon Robinson will rotate for the starting RB spot this spring.

Malzahn said Gage Batten no longer with the team. Hasn't been with the team since the bowl game

Stanton Truitt will be limited this spring

@AUBlog

Says the Tigers are going to be very physical this spring

Malzahn says Alex Kozan will be limited in the spring, but will be able to do some things

Malzahn says Josh Holsey will start his spring at corner. Adds Rudy Ford could see time there as well in addition to safety

@ITATJason

"Count on me" - Auburn's theme for the 2015 season.

Gus on Muschamp: "true professional."

Gus says all QBs will run in Auburn's offense, perhaps not as much/well as Nick. Says early enrollees have great opportunity to impress/grow

@jeff_shearer

Duke Williams will not face any additional punishment from his bowl suspension. Gus says he's in "good standing."

@AUMcKinney

Malzahn confirms that former DL Ken Carter has been hired as an off-the-field assistant.

Malzahn says Jason Smith, a JUCO transfer, will play at QB this spring.

Malzahn says he believes Shon Coleman’s first season as a starter was big for him. “Now he can loosen up and play."

@JayGTate

Malzahn has said Jason Smith will start out at QB in spring, will get "fair shot" to win job. Most consider him likely to end up at WR

@JamesCrepea

Malzahn said DT Dontavius Russell almost didn’t redshirt, expect big things from him

@JHokanson

Gus Malzahn says Austin Golson (highly rated recruit and Ole Miss transfer) will move from tackle to center and be co-No. 1 in spring

@DanWolken

Deon Mix has moved to center

@bmarcello

Gus Malzahn talks of Auburn getting its edge back. "We kind of lost it at the end of last year."

Auburn's Gus Malzahn: "We'll build around our starting quarterback. All our quarterbacks will have a run element."

@AUGoldMine

Awesome!

How does Golson project as a center? Seems like he had a good thing going at tackle if he was good enough to start as a true freshman in the SEC. But we have a major void at center currently, so I understand why the coaches would do this.

Updates ...

Braden Smith will begin the spring at left guard while Avery Young will return to right tackle.

@wareagleextra

Like this. It's Young's more natural position and the one he seemed to be most successful at when he was playing there in 2013. Smith will be a heckuva pulling guard on that line. If Kozan can make it back, that's two bulldozers blasting the way for the RBs.

1 We have a lot riding on Pettway, especially with Batten gone. H-back was a glaring weakness last year.

2 Great to hear Dontavius Russell is making an impact on the DL. We need all the help we can get there.

3 It's going to be very hard for Marlon Davidson to turn us down now.

Malzahn on Lawson to @KevinScarbinsky radio: "We missed him a lot. ... There was quite a bit of times we weren't able" to rush with 4 men.

Malzahn on QB Jeremy Johnson to @KevinScarbinsky: "He can run and he will, but he can flat-out throw it. He's a true dual-threat guy ..."

@bmarcello

Malzahn to @KevinScarbinsky on Jason Smith: "He's a good enough athlete, he can do a lot of different things if (QB) didn't work out."

@JamesCrepea

Awesome!

How does Golson project as a center? Seems like he had a good thing going at tackle if he was good enough to start as a true freshman in the SEC. But we have a major void at center currently, so I understand why the coaches would do this.

From what I understand he's a true OL utility-type player. He has the skill-set and ability to play every position on the line. Allows us to more or less plug and play into wherever the need is.

Golson started at RG at Ole Miss. He was slated to move out to tackle, but he never actually played on the edge.

Is the other co-1, Dampeer? And we still moved Mix inside plus we expect Kim to be a Center. No way we have four guys repping that position in the fall.

It should be a fun spring. There are two major changes occurring. Unless Smith wins the QB job (which would be surprising), the offense will adjust to a passing QB that runs as opposed to a running QB that passes. That's going to impact all the other positions (puts more emphasis on pass setting for the OL and blocking schemes for the RBs, etc.).

Then on the defensive side of the ball it will be general concepts and mass chaos, in terms of player movement. I mean, look at the Safeties that took reps at the position last year: Moncrief is moving to LB, Holsey and Roberts are starting the spring at CB, and Ford may get looks there as well. That's just one position. Everything is a moving piece on that side of the ball. Like I said, spring should be fun.

Golson started at RG at Ole Miss. He was slated to move out to tackle, but he never actually played on the edge.

Is the other co-1, Dampeer? And we still moved Mix inside plus we expect Kim to be a Center. No way we have four guys repping that position in the fall.

It should be a fun spring. There are two major changes occurring. Unless Smith wins the QB job (which would be surprising), the offense will adjust to a passing QB that runs as opposed to a running QB that passes. That's going to impact all the other positions (puts more emphasis on pass setting for the OL and blocking schemes for the RBs, etc.).

Then on the defensive side of the ball it will be general concepts and mass chaos, in terms of player movement. I mean, look at the Safeties that took reps at the position last year: Moncrief is moving to LB, Holsey and Roberts are starting the spring at CB, and Ford may get looks there as well. That's just one position. Everything is a moving piece on that side of the ball. Like I said, spring should be fun.

Who's at RG? Holsey could have been a corner all four years. He's great. Kim probably redshirts.

Who's at RG? Holsey could have been a corner all four years. He's great. Kim probably redshirts.

right guard.

right guard.

.yeah RG = right guard

right guard.

.yeah RG = right guard

Golson had won (or expected to win)the starting LT job at Ole Miss during last years spring practice before transfering here. I would say he is pretty versitale.

Right tackle. Not left. That position was always projected to Tunsil. But your point remains. Golson is a stud.

right guard.

.yeah RG = right guard

Golson had won (or expected to win)the starting LT job at Ole Miss during last years spring practice before transfering here. I would say he is pretty versitale.

Who is projected at RG?

right guard.

.yeah RG = right guard

Who is projected at RG?

Smith is working with the 1's now.

Archived