Bama Safety Geno Smith arrested for DUI last night

AUEngineer2016

Confirmation tweet here. Reddit thread here.

This is Geno's second DUI, meaning he is most likely out at Bama. They were thin at safety before after losing Landon Collins and Nick Perry, and I believe that he was the only safety that they had with any real playing time. Safety may be their weakest position this year.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man I hate this for any school . UA or not. The kid could have killed someone or himself. Terrible thing. Hope he can salvage his career. He needs to stop being dumb.

I didn't click the links, but I read that this is his second DUI.

I didn't click the links either and I read it too..

And here I thought he'd just miss a 2nd game. 1 game for the 1st offense, 2 for the second...

i still hate it for him as i have driven "under the influence" hundreds of times. i was never arrested. if i had been the $$$$ cost alone would have been deterrent enough to stop before a second one. no one would have bailed me out. my own sweat would have to pay. maybe he needs to be let go to be able to feel the sting of his actions. to keep letting this go could be bad even for him.

I hope he gets sent to rehab in addition to his legal penalties because this is the second time he was CAUGHT. No telling how many times he has driven while under the influence and not been caught. He will end up killing someone else or killing himself. Obviously he learned nothing after the first one and has a problem with substance abuse. He needs to get the message this time.

i still hate it for him as i have driven "under the influence" hundreds of times. i was never arrested. if i had been the $$$$ cost alone would have been deterrent enough to stop before a second one. no one would have bailed me out. my own sweat would have to pay. maybe he needs to be let go to be able to feel the sting of his actions. to keep letting this go could be bad even for him.

At this point I'm more worried about the innocent people on the road with him who are at risk because of his reckless,selfish behavior.

At this point I'm more worried about the innocent people on the road with him who are at risk because of his reckless,selfish behavior.

i don't dissagree. I was just pointing out that the stiffness of a DUI should be enough to make you stop. Maybe for his own good and us other motorists he needs more punishment.

Well it looks like their dlineman is in trouble again................ Johnathan Taylor arrested for domestic violence and criminal mischief. tcsoal.org/arrest-db/inma…

Hear hear

http://www.al.com/al...h_arrested.html

Alabama free safety Geno Smith was arrested Saturday morning and charged with driving under the influence, according to the Tuscaloosa County Sheriff's Office.

Bond was set at $1,000, according to the Tuscaloosa County Sheriff's Office website.

Smith was also arrested and charged with DUI in 2013. [http://www.al.com/al...geno_smith.html ]

The senior was the early favorite to replace Nick Perry as Alabama's starting free safety.

The Georgia native ranked fifth on the Tide with 56 tackles last season.

Smith was suspended one game following his arrest in 2013.

"We've never had an issue with Geno. He's an excellent person," coach Nick Saban said in 2013. "He's never been in trouble here before, never been in my office for anything. But I think this is something that everybody should learn from, that when you make a bad choice sometimes the consequences of that choice can really have a negative effect.

"Some of these guys don't have enough foresight to understand cause and effect, but Geno has been a really good person in the program and just made a choice, bad decision. Made several of them, so now he's got consequences for it."

One game suspension in 2013. Does that mean maybe two games (unless he's needed, of course) and only a single scoop of plain vanilla as a repeat offender? <_<

thought it was interesting that he missed practice because he was still in jail....seems the bama's patience might have run out.

Some good points made by posters on this piece about the dangers these habitual offenders pose to innocents on the highways. Thanks.

Too often in my view the commentary address the sports implications of the offense....and not the larger issue of the guy killing himself or someone else while dui.

i don't dissagree. I was just pointing out that the stiffness of a DUI should be enough to make you stop. Maybe for his own good and us other motorists he needs more punishment.

If getting a DUI and risking his football career did not stop him before then this one probably won't either. He apparently has a substance abuse problem and that needs to be addressed asap. If not...then he will continue down this path and a tragedy will occur in one form or another. One sign of addiction is when an arrest for an initial DUI doesn't stop the behavior and it happens again despite the consequences.

If getting a DUI and risking his football career did not stop him before then this one probably won't either. He apparently has a substance abuse problem and that needs to be addressed asap. If not...then he will continue down this path and a tragedy will occur in one form or another. One sign of addiction is when an arrest for an initial DUI doesn't stop the behavior and it happens again despite the consequences.

if someone else paid the fines(which they had too cause cfb players cant work), paid his insurance hike(my brother was on my policy several years ago and got dui, increased 250%) and he only missed one game then there were not any significant consequences anyway. he needs to feel it this time.

2 game suspension. Nothing to see here...

For most people the embarrassment alone would be enough.

I knew a guy back years ago. Got busted for DUI several times. His mom kept bailing him out. Had a lawyer that always got it knocked down to first offense. Haven't seen him in nearly 20 years so I don't know what became of him. He was a classic case of knowing he could get away with it.

For most people the embarrassment alone would be enough.

I knew a guy back years ago. Got busted for DUI several times. His mom kept bailing him out. Had a lawyer that always got it knocked down to first offense. Haven't seen him in nearly 20 years so I don't know what became of him. He was a classic case of knowing he could get away with it.

Yeah years ago it was tolerated more than it is now. I know someone from my childhood who is now spending several years in prison for a DUI after getting his license taken away due to prior DUIs. His family could never accept that he was an alcoholic....and he still doesn't think he is an addict either. He's been in and out of jail for issues related to his alcoholism but he's never been to AA or gotten treatment.

Archived