Malzahn brewing something special

WarTiger

Great read here.

http://www.saturdayd...pecial-offense/

Film Study: Auburn’s Malzahn brewing something special on offense

Auburn University head coach Gus Malzahn is undoubtedly one of the most celebrated offensive minds in all of football as many marvel at his ability to create organized confusion by way of a tempo-based, hurry-up no-huddle approach.

He’s consistently gotten the most out of quarterbacks who may never see the light of day as an NFL prospect: Mitch Mustain, Casey Dick, Ryan Aplin, Chris Todd, Barrett Trotter, Clint Moseley and Nick Marshall.

The only top-flight talent he’s exclusively worked with thus far, current Carolina Panthers’ superstar QB Cam Newton, resulted in an undefeated season in which the Tigers won the BCS National Championship.

Heading into the 2015-16 season, Malzahn may be working with, perhaps, a talent who’s on par with Newton. While the 6’5, 229-pound Johnson might not be quite the athlete of Newton, a case can certainly be made he’s the superior passer who is a good enough athlete to do what the scheme calls for.

And that’s not to mention he’s surrounded by the most talent Malzahn has fielded in his time as an offensive coordinator or as a head coach.

In fact, this team — despite Malzahn’s philosophical approach being widely covered — may take some getting used to as it could easily be transformed from the most dominant rushing attack to one centered predominantly around the pass.

That, in itself, would make Auburn the most difficult team to game plan for as we know it will always be able to execute in the run game.

This is going to be a fun season.

Misconceptions

Most of the time when people refer to Malzahn’s offense they do so by simply labeling it a spread. And while it may certainly have elements of a spread, as far as how some of the receivers are deployed at times, calling it such is just flat-out misleading.

For all intents and purposes, Malzahn’s current incarnation should be referred to as a Power outfit.

Think about it; Yes, the Tigers will operate almost exclusively out of the “Gun,” but they also do so with at least two backs. And while the zone-read portion of the playbook receives the majority of the attention, and rightfully so, the Tigers could very well get by with a more traditional QB while running inside-zone concepts with the running backs.

In fact, when you truly break it down, the Tigers run a ton of standard between-the-tackles “Power” plays centered around an H-back — who is predominantly a lead-blocker but adds value to the pass game.

Additionally, the use of a flex tight end — who can be deployed as an in-line blocker — can make for some serious “Heavy” personnel for teams believing in countering the Tigers’ attack with sub-package grouping.

2211-personnel22-auburn.jpg

The presence of this guy almost erases what most would think about in regard to a spread offense. With him, “Power O,” “Lead-Iso,” and “Lead-Counter” are all in play. Meaning Auburn plays the same type of smash-mouth football one might associate with the University of Georgia and the University of Arkansas.

But the fact that there are potentially five receiving targets puts the defense on its heels. And the frequent use of play-action fakes, which one could initially diagnose as a read-option, undoubtedly provides cause to pause for the defense.

And all a QB needs is the slightest hesitation — especially in a Malzahn offense with a ton of moving parts — to be provided with an ample amount of room to dissect a defense. This means that a traditional QB could easily thrive in this system just like the dual-threat Marshall did.

Johnson’s Quick-Game Ability Is Paramount For Success

When most think of the Tigers’ offensive scheme, they think about the vertical concepts of Malzahn’s playbook. The fact that Malzahn likes to play a good deal of the game in a phone booth, so to speak, means that taking vertical shots is inevitable.

However, Johnson’s ability to spray the ball all around the yard is how Auburn’s offense will be even better. Marshall was decently efficient last season — 20 touchdowns, 7 interceptions with a 60.8 completion percentage — but I always felt like he left some plays out on the field.

His lack of accuracy in the quick game often resulted in plays not generating the type of yardage designed. Swings, hitches, shallow-crossers, smokes and screens are a prominent part of the playbook and are normally high-percentage throws…for accurate QBs.

Johnson won’t have any type of problems when it comes to accuracy. In fact, albeit in a limited sample size, he may be the most accurate passer I’ve studied on film.

He has a traditional over-the-top release he can get off in the blink of an eye, and he understands how to mirror the lower portion of his mechanics to his eyes and arm. His arm strength is top-notch and he’s usually on the money with his ball placement. (He will sail an occasional pass when he’s trying to piston release it.)

Just look at the ball placement in the above sequence; he led the receiver away from danger by throwing it low and away — effectively not getting him blown up.

His receivers will come to appreciate his accuracy and will have very little hesitation about going across the middle on Digs and Stab

The Tigers have a host of receivers who will thrive in the vertical portion of the scheme. Senior Ricardo Louis may be the premier deep-threat on the team as he’s shown a propensity for getting behind coverage in the past.

However, Duke Williams, while not being viewed as a speedster, has such an innate feel for route running that he often takes the top off defenses off sheer skill alone.

Case in point: The trajectory which with Johnson throws is perfect for Williams’ skill set as he’s a master at high-pointing the ball.

The pair will dominate in the quick game and will keep defenses honest with their ability to go vertical as well. When you throw in the versatile talents of Louis and fellow receivers Melvin Ray, Jason Smith and Marcus Davis, you can plainly see how great throw game can potentially become.

Check back with me in the next installment where I break down why the Tigers may also have the most potent rushing attack this season, too.

Really excited about the passing game-especially with Duke sticking with us. I have a feeling JJ is going to make a lot of receivers look good before he's done at Auburn. =) Thanks for the article!

When JJ has been in the games it's like you can just see the receivers eyes light up. Nick was a great QB for running the zone read but he was not an accurate passer in the short passing game. He could make one great long throw then leave you scratching your head on the next play when he missed a short crossing route. JJ hits them in stride. It is going to be fun to watch and hard to stop.

It is pretty funny to think Gus only had one real NFL QB even with all this college success

Jeremy is already at least the second best prospect Malzahn's ever had and the season hasn't even started lol

It is pretty funny to think Gus only had one real NFL QB even with all this college success

Jeremy is already at least the second best prospect Malzahn's ever had and the season hasn't even started lol

Also he's had two full years iin this system. That is a huge advantage for him.

How would you compare JJ to Jason Campbell? They remind me of each other in some ways. My guess is that JJ would fall in the middle between Cam and Jason Campbell.

How would you compare JJ to Jason Campbell? They remind me of each other in some ways. My guess is that JJ would fall in the middle between Cam and Jason Campbell.

Probably like 80% leaning towards Cam if you're discussing potential

If you mean physically I suppose I see what you're talking about

IMHO, there will unlikely be anyone with the complete package as what Cam had in college football. I have grown into a big fan of the Panthers since Cam came onboard. I still like the Saints very much. Never was a Falcons fan, but have follow the Braves since I was a kid. My father would take me to Braves games when Phil Neikro was on the mound back in the late 60s and 70s. We would get tickets behind home plate so that we could watch the knuckle ball do its magic. That was a rare treat indeed.

My dad played in the minor leagues back in the early 1940s as a southpaw with a nasty curve ball. There was so much talent back then that could have filled out 5 or 6 more major league rosters. Back then, there were less major league teams. My dad could tell as early as the first 2 or 3 batters if Knuxie had his stuff.

What does Phil Neikro have to with Gus Malzahn and Auburn's 2015 season.

It's more relevant than 99% of your ridiculous posts.

What does Phil Neikro have to with Gus Malzahn and Auburn's 2015 season.

It's more relevant than 99% of your ridiculous posts.

For sure!!

This team, I think, has something special in store. Not necessarily a national title but I do see playoffs and an SEC championship. That would be an excellent season. If the O line comes together quickly then all bets are off offensively.

That's a terrific article describing what the main stream sports media usually oversimplifies, thanks.

Let's get into October ya'll before we crown JJ as the second coming of Cam Newton. When (and he should) JJ develops play-action skills like Nick in 2013 and when he stops locking eyes on intended receivers as much, this may be a phenomenal offense.

JJ won't be Cam. Cam had too many intangibles, it was like if lebron had gone to college.

Cam was so dominant and one of the best college football players EVER

Who may have had the best season in the history of college football. Unfair comparison.

Loved your breakdown and I think you are dead on about JJ and the talent around him. My one issue is around O-Line we lost a couple of key starters and even talented people need time to gel and get to adjust for each others strength and weaknesses. The O-line along with H-Back and TE are a unit and timing has to be developed. You make a great block to soon and defender has time to recover and make the play. I love the O-Line talent that we have but there are so many little things that an O-Line does as a unit that it is more than individual talent. No doubt in my mind they will get there and be really good my doubt is around how fast they will be able to be melded into a unit.

Don't mean to be a downer but I honestly believe it is a concern.

^^^ Agreed. On offense transitioning from 2013 to 2014 we only lost a cpl starters and it effected out offense greatly. This year we are replacing way more starters on offense. It certainly is a concern to me.

Loved your breakdown and I think you are dead on about JJ and the talent around him. My one issue is around O-Line we lost a couple of key starters and even talented people need time to gel and get to adjust for each others strength and weaknesses. The O-line along with H-Back and TE are a unit and timing has to be developed. You make a great block to soon and defender has time to recover and make the play. I love the O-Line talent that we have but there are so many little things that an O-Line does as a unit that it is more than individual talent. No doubt in my mind they will get there and be really good my doubt is around how fast they will be able to be melded into a unit.

Don't mean to be a downer but I honestly believe it is a concern.

I think the O line will play a little bit better than last year actually. Unless injuries accumulate, we will have a very strong lineup even without Reese.

I think Shon Coleman will play a little bit better at tackle, especially at pass blocking.

Braden Smith will maul linemen from his guard spot.

Golson will be playing and he is a huge experienced asset we did not have last year.

I'm hopeful that Kozan will be able to return to form by the fall as well. That remains to be seen as of now though.

Avery Young is pretty consistent under the lights and I expect him to be a leader of the OL.

If Kozan is healthy, we will actually have a better line this year than last. I know Dismukes is a big loss, but Slade will be easy to replace and Braden Smith will be much better than Slade. If Golson is serviceable, this line could be scary good.

Can't wait until Football Season!!!!!

If Kozan is healthy, we will actually have a better line this year than last. I know Dismukes is a big loss, but Slade will be easy to replace and Braden Smith will be much better than Slade. If Golson is serviceable, this line could be scary good.

Braden Smith might be the real deal, but I think it's a stretch to outright say he will be better than a multi-year SEC starter when we have only seen him in extremely limited action.

He may very well end his career as a better player than Slade (who is currently in an NFL training camp), but it's unlikely a true-sophomore Smith is better than a senior Slade. Not impossible, but unlikely.

I remember many on here thought we wouldn't miss Greg Robinson because we had Shon Coleman...lol. Or we had Fulse/Uzomah to take the place of Prosch. I just think its extremely rare to lose a player to the NFL and his replacement be better than the guy on a pro roster.

Braden Smith might be the real deal, but I think it's a stretch to outright say he will be better than a multi-year SEC starter when we have only seen him in extremely limited action.

He may very well end his career as a better player than Slade (who is currently in an NFL training camp), but it's unlikely a true-sophomore Smith is better than a senior Slade. Not impossible, but unlikely.

I remember many on here thought we wouldn't miss Greg Robinson because we had Shon Coleman...lol. Or we had Fulse/Uzomah to take the place of Prosch. I just think its extremely rare to lose a player to the NFL and his replacement be better than the guy on a pro roster.

Took some of the words right out of my mouth. Chad Slade is a damned good football player. Smith might end up being as good as we all want him to be, but until then he's just a physical freak trying to replace a four year starter. And Golson needs to be better than serviceable. If he ends up at center as most are expecting, then he's replacing a Rimington Award-winning consensus All-American.

I know that it's just natural for some to obsess over the shiny new toys, but still, have some respect.

Took some of the words right out of my mouth. Chad Slade is a damned good football player. Smith might end up being as good as we all want him to be, but until then he's just a physical freak trying to replace a four year starter. And Golson needs to be better than serviceable. If he ends up at center as most are expecting, then he's replacing a Rimington Award-winning consensus All-American.

I know that it's just natural for some to obsess over the shiny new toys, but still, have some respect.

As I mentioned earlier even if the pieces are equal to or better it still takes time to meld them into a cohesive unit. Little things like bumping somebody who is blitzing to buy the other O-Linemen or back a bit of time to pick it up. Waiting on a block to see if better to block inside or outside. The play of the O-Line is like a finally choreographed dance that is why many people say the O-Line needs to have a very high Football IQ. Chemistry between the O-Line is super important almost as important as talent.

Archived