Malzahn brewing something special

WarTiger

Not concerned with the o-line. First off, AU has numbers -- 16 o-linemen, enough for a 3-deep. Secondly, experience -- four of the front five have starting experience. And at the center position sure, replacing Dismukes' leadership/experience won't be seamless. But, AU has a highly-recruited x-fer and a juco senior battling it out. It's not the same thing at all as starting a green freshman. AU is in pretty good shape on the o-line.

If Kozan is healthy, we will actually have a better line this year than last. I know Dismukes is a big loss, but Slade will be easy to replace and Braden Smith will be much better than Slade. If Golson is serviceable, this line could be scary good.

Braden Smith might be the real deal, but I think it's a stretch to outright say he will be better than a multi-year SEC starter when we have only seen him in extremely limited action.

He may very well end his career as a better player than Slade (who is currently in an NFL training camp), but it's unlikely a true-sophomore Smith is better than a senior Slade. Not impossible, but unlikely.

I remember many on here thought we wouldn't miss Greg Robinson because we had Shon Coleman...lol. Or we had Fulse/Uzomah to take the place of Prosch. I just think its extremely rare to lose a player to the NFL and his replacement be better than the guy on a pro roster.

Took some of the words right out of my mouth. Chad Slade is a damned good football player. Smith might end up being as good as we all want him to be, but until then he's just a physical freak trying to replace a four year starter. And Golson needs to be better than serviceable. If he ends up at center as most are expecting, then he's replacing a Rimington Award-winning consensus All-American.

I know that it's just natural for some to obsess over the shiny new toys, but still, have some respect.

As I mentioned earlier even if the pieces are equal to or better it still takes time to meld them into a cohesive unit. Little things like bumping somebody who is blitzing to buy the other O-Linemen or back a bit of time to pick it up. Waiting on a block to see if better to block inside or outside. The play of the O-Line is like a finally choreographed dance that is why many people say the O-Line needs to have a very high Football IQ. Chemistry between the O-Line is super important almost as important as talent.

Excellent point.

Absolutely an outstanding read, and pretty spot on in its analysis if you ask me.

Nicely done!

If you respected the sports radio host's opinions (Sirius) you'd be pissed most the time. When their guests get it right though, i love the waffling that happens next. But several guests and a co-host or two have recognized that Auburn can go very far this year because of JJ's ability (arm and legs) and experience.

And thank goodness Brando is gone.

Inglorious.gif

Stop teasing us ! Football is still like 3 months away !

How would you compare JJ to Jason Campbell? They remind me of each other in some ways. My guess is that JJ would fall in the middle between Cam and Jason Campbell.

Fairly accurate assessment. I see him more of a Pat Sullivan type QB. Height of Cam with the accuracy of Sullivan.

How would you compare JJ to Jason Campbell? They remind me of each other in some ways. My guess is that JJ would fall in the middle between Cam and Jason Campbell.

I've been comparing him to Campbell since his senior year in high school. I wouldn't even say he falls in the middle of Cam and Jason, rather that Campbell just didn't operate an offense in which he ran much.

Seeing both play basketball which I understand is basketball Johnson is at least two times more athletic than Jason ever was, well Johnson coming out of high school was

Archived