Garrison Brooks

BeatBama1972

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He would be the ideal addition a true Power Forward. This would allow our true SF to play SF instead of Power forward. He has the size to be an inside presence and help with both rebounding and pass blocking and he has some solid scoring skills which would give us a much more balanced attack. UNC is still pursuing him so it will be hard to get him.

13 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

So big question: what's the possibility of us landing Brooks now? He'd certainly be a nice addition.

Release or not, he'll still have to sit a year because of the transfer rule. Were I in his shoes I'd go the prep school route and let the colleges start my recruiting process over again next cycle.

That was a strong statement from mom.  MSU folded fast.  IMO it shows msu was indeed being underhanded and incredIbly stupid.

my question is ... is this an NCAA violation issue?  Non-custodial parent, out of state, signing a legally binding document without the custodial parents knowledge - and msu knows this.  

I don't know the rules, but surely that is a NCAA violation.  It's out there in the public so I'd assume the NCAA would have to investigate this?

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Release or not, he'll still have to sit a year because of the transfer rule. Were I in his shoes I'd go the prep school route and let the colleges start my recruiting process over again next cycle.

Seems like if anyone can get him out of the transfer rule, it's momma.  Seems like there are some pretty big extenuating circumstances in his recruitment to allow for an exception. 

Why would this be considered a transfer? He asked for his release from his signing. Was he already enrolled at MSU?  How is this any different than the PG we just recently offered?

Since he never took a class this is not the transfer rule he should be able to play first year.

I know his mom a little bit having a junior at AHS currently...who took a class with Garrison this fall. Mom wasn't happy during the entire process in hopes that Garrison would stay in Auburn and become a Tiger (so she could see him play, etc.). I don't know how this will play out but I could see him at AU if his mother wants it. Split families or single parent households have a mother at the head of the table most of the time.

11 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Since he never took a class this is not the transfer rule he should be able to play first year.

Do you know this for a fact or are you trying to apply reason to NCAA rules?

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

I read an article where UNC has re-opened their recruiting and in it they said if they got him they would play him this year. Based on that and the fact that he got an unconditional release and never took a class I am saying he is eligible immediately. I will concede that at times the NCAA rules are very arcane and I may be wrong but I am 90% sure.

2 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I read an article where UNC has re-opened their recruiting and in it they said if they got him they would play him this year. Based on that and the fact that he got an unconditional release and never took a class I am saying he is eligible immediately. I will concede that at times the NCAA rules are very arcane and I may be wrong but I am 90% sure.

At UNC they can arrange that he will not have to attend classes there either... and can remain eligible..

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

I'm more confused on why you seem to think he would need to sit out a year as if he were a transfer when we already have another example of a kid we are recruiting who was just released from his signature.

How different is him getting out of his letter of intent than Michael Porter Jr? Same thing right? No classes taken, he just signed. Porter can play right away, right?

Earlier I said he is eligible to play right away. I found an article that confirms that.

http://wrbl.com/2017/03/31/auburns-garrison-brooks-requests-release-from-mississippi-state-basketball/

Next Big question has the Auburn coaching staff reached out to him and are they actively recruiting him now that he has his release?

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Earlier I said he is eligible to play right away. I found an article that confirms that.

http://wrbl.com/2017/03/31/auburns-garrison-brooks-requests-release-from-mississippi-state-basketball/

Next Big question has the Auburn coaching staff reached out to him and are they actively recruiting him now that he has his release?

Considering it was a release without restrictions, I would be surprised if we didn't unless there's something up with this I don't know about.

UNC twitter seems pretty condfident about him but if it's that big of a deal to mom, I don't see why we wouldn't re-extend the offer to allow him to play at home. 

9 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

A release, in and of itself, does not waive the transfer rule. I'm guessing that in a case when a player never attends class, the transfer rule is out.

On 4/12/2017 at 7:44 AM, Mikey said:

This is basketball not football. If Miss St gave him a full release he can play immediately. A handful of kids get full NLI releases each year in basketball now a days. All have been eligible immediate at the school they enrolled at.

36 minutes ago, ellitor said:

This is basketball not football. If Miss St gave him a full release he can play immediately. A handful of kids get full NLI releases each year in basketball now a days. All have been eligible immediate at the school they enrolled at.

Did you read the post one above this one of yours? Apparently not. Well then, what if he had attended class?

I would not toss in the towel just yet assuming UNC.  They have lost some pretty big recruits the last year or so over the pending NCAA action...which is still pending but maybe not for much longer.

BUT....and this is just me...I can't imagine a kid with lots of options, taking a full athletic scholarship to a school three blocks from his High School.  Time for the kid to get out and see the world, become independent, etc. etc.....maybe talk with UCLA or someone ...get a reference from LaVar Ball who is unhappy with the Bruins's big men.

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

I would not toss in the towel just yet assuming UNC.  They have lost some pretty big recruits the last year or so over the pending NCAA action...which is still pending but maybe not for much longer.

BUT....and this is just me...I can't imagine a kid with lots of options, taking a full athletic scholarship to a school three blocks from his High School.  Time for the kid to get out and see the world, become independent, etc. etc.....maybe talk with UCLA or someone ...get a reference from LaVar Ball who is unhappy with the Bruins's big men.

100% with you on the bolded part. It's part of why I don't get too upset when kids from Auburn High go elsewhere -- unless they wanted an AU offer.

Yes, I know it looks bad but isn't one of the most appealing factors of going off to college the fact that you get away from home and learn to live life somewhat independently?

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

what if he had attended class?

You know the answer to that but he hadn't so that's not relevant.

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Did you read the post one above this one of yours?

Yes. Was just educating the board in general. The post wasn't meant solely for you.

I hate to be that guy but I have learned I know more about recruiting rules & regulations than 90% of the journalists who get paid to write about it for a living.

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

At one time in his recruitment GB wanted to get away from the Auburn area. Not sure if he still has some urge to do that or not.

He got a random crystall ball for SMU the other day. 

Archived