AU soccer NCAA Round of 32

SCTiger2011

The Tigers get revenge on TTU from last year and eliminate the Red Raiders 3-2. First Sweet 16 performance in program history. WAR EAGLE!!!

Write up

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – For the first time in program history, Auburn Soccer has reached the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Women’s Soccer Tournament after defeating No. 15 Texas Tech, 3-2, Friday afternoon in overtime at the Seminole Soccer Complex in Tallahassee, Fla.

Senior Logan Beal provided the game-winner for the Tigers putting back the rebound on a shot from Casie Ramsier right in front of the goal. It was Beal’s third goal of the year and Auburn’s fourth victory in overtime this season.

“What an exciting game,” Auburn head coach Karen Hoppa said. “Texas Tech is a great team and they did a good job of battling back twice. We created a ton of chances and I thought we left a few on the table in regulation. But, this team has done what it has done all year. We’ve shown the character and the heart and this team’s toughness and adversity has come out all year long. They stepped up to the challenge today.”

Auburn took two separate leads throughout the game, getting two goals in the first half, but allowing the Red Raiders to score one goal in each half. Janine Beckie scored both goals for Texas Tech, one off a penalty kick in the 27th minute. However, Auburn was able to respond back each time before the winner in the 100th minute by Beal.

“I just saw the ball coming outside from Casie (Ramsier),” Beal said. “I was just trying to move and shake off the defender. I just wanted to get anywhere I could to get the rebound and get a touch on the ball. I just wanted to create chaos and lucky to have it go in.”

Not only was it a momentous win for the Auburn program, but it was also the 16th win of the year for the Tigers, setting the new record for wins in a single-season and was the 200th for head coach Karen Hoppa at the helm of the Auburn program.

With seniors Kala Faulkner and Logan Beal sitting next to her at the post-game press conference, Hoppa said she “had a sense of pride,” when looking at what this win over Texas Tech means to the Auburn program.

“These seniors have given four years to this program and have done everything we’ve asked,” Hoppa said. “They’ve worked to bring this program up a step each year. For them to both play crucial roles in this victory, it just gives me a sense of pride. I’m really happy for them to be the ones to take Auburn to the next level.”

“It feels really nice,” Faulkner said afterward. “Knowing that Logan (Beal) and I have been through multiple NCAA Tournaments before. All the little things that have happened this season with (Haley) Gerken and Abby (Meadows) getting injured early on and the stuff happening to Megan (Young), this shows the type of team that we are. It’s a relief knowing that it has finally paid off. We’re finally getting what we feel like we deserve.”

Auburn took the early 1-0 lead in the 14th minute when freshman Taylor Troutman scored on a nice one-touch from five yards out for her fourth goal of the year. The play started near midfield with Faulkner feeding juniorSamantha Solaru on the left flank. Solaru made a nice one-touch pass to Troutman and beat the keeper in the upper 90.

Tech was able to tie the game up in the 27th minute after Beckie got a penalty kick on a tough call near the left end line on Kiana Clarke. But, Auburn was there to respond again in the 32nd minute as the first half winded down.

Sophomore Hannah Alspach found some open space down the right side and delivered a perfect ball toward the far post. What looked to be a cross from the initial kick ended up winding in to the upper 90, giving Texas Tech’s goalkeeper no chance at making the save. For Alspach, it was her second goal of the year and gave Auburn the 2-1 lead at halftime.

Auburn now moves on to play the winner of Florida State and South Alabama which is currently in progress at the Seminole Soccer Complex. First kick for Sunday’s Sweet 16 game is set for Noon central time and will be broadcast over the radio waves on WEGL 91.1 FM and AuburnTigers.com.

For more information on Auburn soccer, visit AuburnTigers.com, follow the team on Twitter, @AuburnSoccer or follow them on Facebook at Facebook.com/AuburnSoccer.

Archived