2018 4* DT Coynis Miller commits to AU!!!!

ellitor

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Kirby proved this class he is a elite recruiter

Bowl cut learned all of sabans tricks and is putting them in to action. He may also have a bagman, who knows how he is doing it, we will know how if we see any of them driving new dodge chargers.

• Haha 2

I blush over guys that play early and succeed. I could care less if it’s Truesdell or Brown. Both were entirely comparable as true freshmen. I don’t care if it’s Lawson or Moultry. I want guys that can play. I’d take Davidson over Cowart despite being the far lower rated player. 

I understand that UGA is killing the guessing game. I’ll wait to see if they actually killed it. 

As I’ve said before, I’ve never seen a statistically significant difference in terms of predicting success between the number two class and the number eight class. There are a few of dudes they beat us on. But folks lose their minds over rankings. We targeted Asa Martin because he’s the guy we wanted. Not Zamir White or James Cook. Only time will tell who was right in their priorities. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

As I’ve said before, I’ve never seen a statistically significant difference in terms of predicting success between the number two class and the number eight class.

Well there is a pretty clear difference between Auburn’s class and UGA’s. We are probably more similar to the 20th ranked class than the number one class as a matter of fact. Some day people like you are going to have realize that there is a whole level of recruiting that is far more superior than just top ten.  Ohio State isn’t very far behind UGA either. 

13 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

We targeted Asa Martin because he’s the guy we wanted.

Similarly, we targeted Zamir as well. Are you saying we didn’t?

May as well get use to it...times have changed doubt we ever beat uga soon. Just look at our overall record..............I kid but it will all work out or at least I hope it does

22 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Hah! Both of them. Good call. 

Okay. So that's 2. If we think of many more then I might have to concede that point to the other guy. 

Gimel President? 

Nobody is losing their minds. Nobody is blowing their brains out.Fact of the matter is our coaches got worked while losing over a handful of recruiting battles to Georgia, and in reality, our class isn’t even in the same zip code as Georgia’s. What is most dissapointing is we are not winning the battles for the players within the trenches. This is a line of scrimmage league. I don’t care how good of a QB we have or how good our defensive coach is, if our lines are getting blown up or getting reset in the backfield, there is no way to coach around those issues. Hopefully we still get Gouraige or Brown, and that would ease the pain a bit. The plan B’s like Goss and Tannor is going to do nothing for me though. Stutts either and be wasn’t even a plan B. 

When the rivals are in another stratosphere when it comes to recruiting and are already whipping us 7/10 games within the past decade, it’s concerning because I know Gus is always going to be judged by his record against the rivals and a lousy record against them only hinders his recruiting pitches. If he knew what was good for him, he’d add better recruiters to his staff.     

Edited by aujeff11
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Nobody is losing their minds. Nobody is blowing their brains out.Fact of the matter is our coaches got worked while losing over a handful of recruiting battles to Georgia, and in reality, our class isn’t even in the same zip code as Georgia’s. What is most dissapointing is we are not winning the battles for the players within the trenches. This is a line of scrimmage league. I don’t care how good of a QB we have or how good our defensive coach is, if our lines are getting blown up or getting reset in the backfield, there is no way to coach around those issues. Hopefully we still get Gouraige or Brown, and that would ease the pain a bit. The plan B’s like Goss and Tannor is going to do nothing for me though. Stutts either and be wasn’t even a plan B. 

When the rivals are in another stratosphere when it comes to recruiting and are already whipping us 7/10 games within the past decade, it’s concerning because I know Gus is always going to be judged by his record against the rivals and a lousy record against them only hinders his recruiting pitches. If he knew what was good for him, he’d add better recruiters to his staff.     

Earlier in the fall we were firing our coach and there was a lot of negativity and uncertainty surrounding our program.  It is hard to get traction with the top guys with all that.    

We ended strong and the positive momentum showed in recruiting.  If we can continue into next year we will start recruiting like we can on a consistent basis.  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

I blush over guys that play early and succeed. I could care less if it’s Truesdell or Brown. Both were entirely comparable as true freshmen. I don’t care if it’s Lawson or Moultry. I want guys that can play. I’d take Davidson over Cowart despite being the far lower rated player. 

I understand that UGA is killing the guessing game. I’ll wait to see if they actually killed it. 

As I’ve said before, I’ve never seen a statistically significant difference in terms of predicting success between the number two class and the number eight class. There are a few of dudes they beat us on. But folks lose their minds over rankings. We targeted Asa Martin because he’s the guy we wanted. Not Zamir White or James Cook. Only time will tell who was right in their priorities. 

Shhh!! The world is ending and UGA has already won two national championships! Didn't you hear??? 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, triangletiger said:

Gimel President? 

I don't think he was undersized. Could be wrong.

Also, he was here around the same time that a lot of guys didn't produce. We had some leadership issues on that side of the ball for 6 years straight until Muschamp showed up. 

10 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

..................Fact of the matter is our coaches got worked while losing over a handful of recruiting battles to Georgia, and in reality, our class isn’t even in the same zip code as Georgia’s......

If you are going to be disappointed when we don't break even with UGA in head to head battles over Georgia kids you have a lot of disappointments coming in this area of your life. We also seldom have a higher ranked class than UGA. Check the all-time record and see how much that really mattered.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

If you are going to be disappointed when we don't break even with UGA in head to head battles over Georgia kids you have a lot of disappointments coming in this area of your life. We also seldom have a higher ranked class than UGA. Check the all-time record and see how much that really mattered.

I’m not disappointed with not breaking even. We didn’t win enough battles against them to get close enough for that emotion to be necessary. Who did they seriously want that we won? Maybe Irvin? 

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

We also seldom have a higher ranked class than UGA.

The “same old mediocre Georgia” argument isn’t going to work when they’ve won 10 out of previous 13 games and are currently in the playoffs with an SEC championship title in hand.

Speaking of the all time head to head record, I remember when we used to be comfortably ahead. If anything disappoints me, it is that we lost that lead. 

Edited by aujeff11
  • Thanks 1

Bama has had what 8 straight number 1 recruiting classes.  Have had stability in the program and ultra success... yet we have still recruited well.  Won games, won championships, and have never really out recruited UGA either.  Yet here is our 5th year head coach with 2-3 records in the glory years of each of our rivals past 25 years.  If you expect to go on a run like bama has the past few years then you’re probably going to be disappointed.  Bammers run has been historically good.  UGA will not replicate it.  Let things play out before over reacting.  If we lose 3-4 games over the next 4-5 years against them then we will make a change.  But since Gus has been associated with AU we have basically been in the conference race deep into each season it seems like.  Some seasons the breaks will go your way and you win a ‘ship and some seasons they won’t but if you keep putting yourself in those positions it’ll happen and as a fan I can accept that.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

What is most dissapointing is we are not winning the battles for the players within the trenches. This is a line of scrimmage league.

Last year we signed a top 5 OL line class, having enough talent on our current roster to redshirt them all. That includes a 5 Star tackle in Ashley. Those players aren’t less talented because they don’t count for this years star ratings. They are bigger, stronger, and more developed a year later. We had a similarly strong D line class 2 years ago and were deep enough to redshirt an amazing talent like Nick Coe. Thats the effect of consecutive top 10 classes for several seasons. If our 2017 class of 25 signees had to line up and play UGAs class of 2017 signees, we would likely lose. But we don’t. Our roster of 85 will line up and play their 85, and I bet come game day we will be more than competitive against them and Bama. WDE and Merry Christmas! ?? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Last year we signed a top 5 OL line class, having enough talent on our current roster to redshirt them all. That includes a 5 Star tackle in Ashley. Those players aren’t less talented because they don’t count for this years star rating

Valid point but I don’t know why last year is relevant.  We have to recruit every year. Gus said himself that be needs OL this year and he’s mostly struck out. It’s a cyclical process to keep winning these battles year after year if you want the program to continue to reload. This is the end of my conversation gents.

War Eagle and Merry Christmas to you, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good discussion.......... we've recruited well enough to beat uga and bammer. Could we have done a better job probably but uga had a perfect storm  for them this year.. It all up to how well each team is coached.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Good discussion.......... we've recruited well enough to beat uga and bammer. Could we have done a better job probably but uga had a perfect storm  for them this year.. It all up to how well each team is coached.

Going along with that thought: "There are enough players out there for everybody. What you do with 'em after you get 'em is more important than who you get.' ~~~Pat Dye, circa 1988.

• Like 4

QB

Stidham

Willis

Gatewood

(Bo Nix hopefully and redshirt)

Running Back

KJ

KP

DBarrett

MMiller

KMartin

AMartin

Worm (redshirt?)

WR

Bunch of good ones

Redshirts some

TE

JH/SC/CC/MS

OL

TEGA/ASHLEY OTs

Bunch of Gs to choose from

Brahm at C

redshirt some new guys if possible

DL - Loaded again/good depth too

Lbs - Great leaders and serious young talent/maybe 1 or 2 more needed

Dbs - Time and roster moves will tell

Got some good young pickups though

I may have missed a few things, but I am like Mikey. It could be a great group to watch play...

I don’t believe that this recruiting year is a fluke for UGA. Kirby Smart is an elite recruiting Head coach. He has learned from the best, and he’s now getting recruits that UAT would normally get.

With that said, we knew that Gus wasn’t an elite recruiting Head coach when we hired him. We hired him for his offense mind that could counter Nick Saban & Kirby Smart’s dominance on defense. And while we have finished in the top 10 in recruiting the last several years, i did not think it’s too much to ask to start aiming for top 5 classes. Malzahn has brought stability to this program and proven that we can compete IF we have the players. We are starting to build a very talented and deep roster IF we can get our attrition under control.

BUT we still need to win more of the recruiting battles versus UGA & UAT in order to compete with them year in & year out. Trey Hill and/or Luke Ford would have been huge recruiting wins for elite players. But now we’ll have to settle and try to compete with lesser talented players. Its something that we’ve always done and can do again. But I’m of the mindset that you should NEVER settle. We have the ability to take this to the next step with vision, relentless work ethic, and a few good breaks! We MUST keep pushing to get that next Championship

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

I don’t believe that this recruiting year is a fluke for UGA. Kirby Smart is an elite recruiting Head coach. He has learned from the best, and he’s now getting recruits that UAT would normally get.

With that said, we knew that Gus wasn’t an elite recruiting Head coach when we hired him. We hired him for his offense mind that could counter Nick Saban & Kirby Smart’s dominance on defense. And while we have finished in the top 10 in recruiting the last several years, i did not think it’s too much to ask to start aiming for top 5 classes. Malzahn has brought stability to this program and proven that we can compete IF we have the players. We are starting to build a very talented and deep roster IF we can get our attrition under control.

BUT we still need to win more of the recruiting battles versus UGA & UAT in order to compete with them year in & year out. Trey Hill and/or Luke Ford would have been huge recruiting wins for elite players. But now we’ll have to settle and try to compete with lesser talented players. Its something that we’ve always done and can do again. But I’m of the mindset that you should NEVER settle. We have the ability to take this to the next step with vision, relentless work ethic, and a few good breaks! We MUST keep pushing to get that next Championship

No disagreement in your statements and would loved to have Hill but Hill and the other elite guard that UGA signed both of which are around 6-3 and 340 plus are going to need time to get their weight under control.  Plus ultra big and strong linemen a lot of times aren’t very good technically and get their tails kicked early.  The guys that seem to come in around 280 pounds and had to use technique in high school seems to transition better down the line.  

Kind of like Cowart.  Total domination on the DL in high school because he was stronger and faster then everyone and never had to use technique and never could grasps the concepts of embracing the technical aspects of the position.  Would do well a couple of plays then revert to trying to out talent the guy lined up across from him.  

Have to tip your cap to UGA.  Pittman on recruiting and coaching the OL is a good dude.  Tucker also on defense.  We just have to hunker down and battle.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

I LOVE YOU!!!!!!! I want to frame this post and give it to all the sunshine pumpers as a Christmas gift to hang on their wall!!!! lol

The key to Auburn's future recruiting is getting a top player early (preferably a 5* QB) that gets our momentum going early, and this guy becomes to face of that year's recruiting.  Hopefully Bo Nix will be that guy next year.

AU very rarely out-recruits bama and GA as they have an advantage we don't by being the state school and each has an alumni base that is larger than ours.  And in the case of bama this base is active in recruiting.  One thing Kirby has taken with him to GA is the entire university ( players, coaches, faculty, president and alumni) are sold on the fact they can be a dominant national power.  And the various factions within those groups are all on the same page.  At AU, we have always had factions of our folks who fight with each other and can't seem to be on the same page.  Too many of us want our way and if we don't get it we want to "take our ball and go home".  It's been this way since the 60's and probably before.  Hopefully soon we can change and get on the same page and be the consistent national power we have the ability to be.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tinman said:

The key to Auburn's future recruiting is getting a top player early (preferably a 5* QB) that gets our momentum going early, and this guy becomes to face of that year's recruiting.  Hopefully Bo Nix will be that guy next year.

AU very rarely out-recruits bama and GA as they have an advantage we don't by being the state school and each has an alumni base that is larger than ours.  And in the case of bama this base is active in recruiting.  One thing Kirby has taken with him to GA is the entire university ( players, coaches, faculty, president and alumni) are sold on the fact they can be a dominant national power.  And the various factions within those groups are all on the same page.  At AU, we have always had factions of our folks who fight with each other and can't seem to be on the same page.  Too many of us want our way and if we don't get it we want to "take our ball and go home".  It's been this way since the 60's and probably before.  Hopefully soon we can change and get on the same page and be the consistent national power we have the ability to be.

No to be picky but bama does not have a larger alumni base then AU.  Until the past 8-10 years AU was around 22k students to bama’s 18k.  Was that way for years upon years.  Bama has lowered standards to increase enrollment and also offered elite student academic scholarships greater then the students would have gotten out of other institutions.  Alumni and fan base at bammer are 2 totally separate things.  Alumni and fan base is very similar at AU regardless of actually attending the university.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, corchjay said:

No to be picky but bama does not have a larger alumni base then AU.  Until the past 8-10 years AU was around 22k students to bama’s 18k.  Was that way for years upon years.  Bama has lowered standards to increase enrollment and also offered elite student academic scholarships greater then the students would have gotten out of other institutions.  Alumni and fan base at bammer are 2 totally separate things.  Alumni and fan base is very similar at AU regardless of actually attending the university.

yes correct. the casual fanbase and the bandwagon fans is where they crush us.

• Thanks 1