Things I Think I Saw.....

JMR

Most disorganized at any level? Pretty emotional stuff - let me intro you to some N. FL high school ball. Oh yeah you did Largo. Some guys are just not fans of multiple QB plans but I'll go with the Spurrier UF school of thought over this column. You correctly slam the poor execution but then say the plan was disorganized? And Stanton Truit is not a legit part of a legit plan? Dinosaur alert. Hand gets an F on this one.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

What is mind-boggling to me is every team has scripted the 15-25 plays of the game....I am curious if we scripted the plays and if so did they have it for the 3 QB's to be involved within the time they did???? If not, then as mentioned earlier...there were a lot of BINGO numbers called, but maybe we would have better luck running bingo numbers....

Yes, it was scripted to play out exactly the way it did. Gus made that clear during his presser. 

11 hours ago, Ber798297 said:

What's frustrating to me is that I saw wasted potential last night.  Our defense was lit last night.  I saw glimpses of great offensive play too.  It was the worst play calling I've ever seen.  And because of that, I'm frustrated.  With better play calling, we could've easily won the game and be a national contender.   But hey, at least we're not Mississippi State...

Yet

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

So, I'm unfamiliar with this thread, will there be a follow up after further review? Who is the author? 

Here's RIR's thread to introduce the author:

https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/152429-new-feature-coachs-corner-auburn-vs-clemson/

As pointed out in that thread, if you enjoy podcasts, his is Access Auburn and it's very enjoyable.

War Eagle!

14 hours ago, JMR said:

I liked the aggressiveness our secondary played with vs Clemson’s passing game. On the other hand, some of the things DBs get away with in the NFL, officials don’t let slide in college. Some teams are allowed to get away with holding onto a receiver, but Auburn is not one of those, and will not be.

Glad we aren't the only ones who think this.

Good stuff...  I think back about two plays that were there.

1- the missed pass to an open Cox in the endzone. 

2- the under thrown although completed pass to Marcus Davis I believe which would have been a TD.  

For or all of our management mistakes,. That is 14 points off the board...    And no I am not blaming anyone.. Just noting.  

Add JJ's underthrown interception to Davis. =7pts

Add K Johnson near catch at the 1 yard line=3-7 pts 

That's a lot of points left on the field. (24-28) Woulda, coulda, shoulda won't win a game though

War Eagle! 

4 hours ago, fredst said:

Yet

Gus is 1-2 against Miss State so we would have to improve to get to their level.

wde

4 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

Good stuff...  I think back about two plays that were there.

1- the missed pass to an open Cox in the endzone. 

2- the under thrown although completed pass to Marcus Davis I believe which would have been a TD.  

For or all of our management mistakes,. That is 14 points off the board...    And no I am not blaming anyone.. Just noting.  

Add the dropped INT by Ford and you can add another 6

When are we actually going to catch one of those pick 6s? We have had the opportunities in big games to flip the script. 

I count 24 for sure points and I still think that KJ caught his long pass which would've led to another most likely. 

Cox-7

K.Davis-7

Ford-7

FG instead of JJ's tiptoe routine-3

=24

Add KJ'so catch and add another 7.

As bad as the first half was and it was horrid, we should've won going away. Even without that, In the end, we still had two very good chances to win.  The first half was, as was stated in the OP, the most disorganized offense at any level I have seen as well.  Gus needs to build around Sean, supplement JF3 (his threat did a nice job opening the run),  and give JJ a headset and a sign board.

I agree that sw need to start and at least see what he got but I don't understand acting like jj mistakes are worse. I think sw need to get an opportunity to get in a rhythm and then be critiqued or whatever because last year he looked better. But IMO nothing happen in this last game particularly that jj was so bad and sw was so much better. 

I said that just because as I read comments it seems like it's yeah sw messed this play up then jj screwed up the country's national security when he missed his throw...

I don't think JJ'S mistakes were worse than Sean's. Mistakes are mistaes. So if mistakes are the same, then I would go with the one that the team performed better with. I belive that was Sean. I wouldn't waste time with JJ. Jf3 provided a spark and should've been kept in, as well as should've pulled it a few times. I would go forward with Sean starting and Jf3 coming in. I also think Jf3 would've had a better chance of picking up the 1st that JJ couldn't because he is quicker and has to be more decisive.

I think some movement left to right gets the first down, I don't think anybody gets it from that play call Saturday night though. Blocking was just messed up. 

But like I said I think sw because of last year but the other night i don't think the team performed better or worse based off any qb. I think the o line played slightly better so the offense itself became slightly better

If both JJ and SW are the same, why not go with the player you will have for two more years and let him get the reps?

I didn't say they were the same, but like I said I think you go with sw because he showed to be more consistent. So you at least give him an opportunity to get a rhythm and not do the pulling stuff

Honestly, I don't think that we, as fans, are able to make any judgement on any of the QB's from this game. None of them were put into positions to succeed.

I think neither JJ nor SW surpassed the other in passing performance, nor can they be fairly judged, as with all of the silliness that was Gus' game plan everything just constantly imploded around them...both of them.

The only thing critical I can say about JJ, and again this is more Gus' fault...not JJ's really, is quit putting JJ in to run the ball. It's been said by others who know more than me, he doesn't like to run it....he ain't Cam no matter how badly Gus wants him to be. He runs like he's dodging spider webs and has since he's been at AU. Just let him be the pocket-passer he wants to be and it might do wonders for JJ's overall confidence and performance. I'll betcha we'd see a different QB if Gus would do that.

SW ain't afraid to mix it up on the ground, but that's not HIS primary goal either. I've been critical of why Gus brought in SW and Tyler Queen to begin with (but that's a philosophy conversation for another thread). But, like JJ, running plays should be left to the runners and just let SW run when he sees an opportunity. Otherwise, also like JJ, just let him be a quarterback and do what he does best.

As for JF3?  Well, all he did was handoff but his mere presence seemed to open up run lanes....and he never even ran it himself.  Just imagine if Gus would truly give him the options... Can he pass? Well, heck...in that offense he'd probably pass no worse than JJ or SW.  I'd say an out of conference game against Arky St would be a perfect opportunity to find out what he's truly made of. After the garbage from Sat, I'd chance an early season game plan if it meant possibly striking gold before the meat of the SEC schedule begins. The defense appears to be up to the task (FINALLY) of holding up their end and you can always fall back on one of the other 2 QB's if it doesn't work out....and that way, at least it appears to the fans that you're really trying to win and not just some crazy man who's finally snapped.

Regardless... Just pick one!

8 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

Gus is 1-2 against Miss State so we would have to improve to get to their level.

wde

Prescott was QB for all 3 of those games I believe. Check how he's doing in the pros and you'll realize how they lost USA without him. The fact that they were middle of the road with him proves how terrible they really are (or will be) without him iyam.  It wasn't a fluke that they lost to USA. It's who they are. Now, we lost to the number 2 team by 6 and many chances to win the game. They lost to a team that still has their first ever coach. Yep, they are so young of a team that they haven't made it to their second head coach. Let that sink in and revisit that we need to improve to be on their level. 

Good post. I admit I was furious over the QB shuffle, No QB is going to get any rhythm going. Also O line has to get better.

Funny, this has been the most civil conversation about quarterbacks and offensive line that I've seen since maybe fall of 2014. If there is a positive in all this, it's that the offensive plan was so bad that it has unified the Auburn fan base. 

Disclaimer: This post is intended for entertainment purposes only.

17 hours ago, bigbird said:

I don't think JJ'S mistakes were worse than Sean's. Mistakes are mistaes. So if mistakes are the same, then I would go with the one that the team performed better with. I belive that was Sean. I wouldn't waste time with JJ. Jf3 provided a spark and should've been kept in, as well as should've pulled it a few times. I would go forward with Sean starting and Jf3 coming in. I also think Jf3 would've had a better chance of picking up the 1st that JJ couldn't because he is quicker and has to be more decisive.

Problem is, Gus is doubling down on the playing of all 3 QB's. We will see Saturday.

Another thing I noticed, I don't know if it's coaching or JJ but he seems to struggle getting the signal from the sidelines, then getting the O lined up, to get the snap-off on time. Just seems more of a struggle for JJ than SW.

With that said, SW is supposed to be at his best hitting short and intermediate pass routes. Very disappointed in the points he took off the board by missing open receivers that were in a position to score.

Archived