2018 4* QB Joey Gatewood (Auburn 12/5/15)

RunInRed

Thinking about an overall timetable of expectations for the next four years (a topic which certainly relates to JG and our other QBs), we should aim for at least 8 (counting bowl) wins for both the next two years and in both '18 and '19, aim for at least 9 (counting bowl) wins, and expect a championship run in one of the two.

If the D is as good as people are hoping in 2016 we can get 8 w/ mediocre QB play. Good play & we can beat anyone of the big 4.

I hope this works out to be true. Our D looks great on paper, they need to play to their potential. The QB situation still does not look great. It can't be worse than last year.

The trouble is that we could have a bad QB situation until 2018. Say Sean doesn't work out, Woody has to go to JUCO, and we can't sign any QB in this next class. Even if Sean is a good QB, our depth in '17 would be horrible. The question then is should we give Gus a free pass until 2018, or should we fire him at the obvious risk of losing WB and/or JG?

Let's hope WB, at very worst, goes to prep school, Mond signs, JG sticks, and of course, that SW work out.

Woody is not going to juco or prep school. He will be at AU, Just not in the early Summer like the rest of the class because his high school does not have graduation til mid June. Worst case scenario is he does not get to AU til early August. And we will sign a QB in this class. I'm not sure it will be a big time QB but we will sign 1.

Woah. Now that's a display of confidence (or inside info).

Thinking about an overall timetable of expectations for the next four years (a topic which certainly relates to JG and our other QBs), we should aim for at least 8 (counting bowl) wins for both the next two years and in both '18 and '19, aim for at least 9 (counting bowl) wins, and expect a championship run in one of the two.

If the D is as good as people are hoping in 2016 we can get 8 w/ mediocre QB play. Good play & we can beat anyone of the big 4.

I hope this works out to be true. Our D looks great on paper, they need to play to their potential. The QB situation still does not look great. It can't be worse than last year.

The trouble is that we could have a bad QB situation until 2018. Say Sean doesn't work out, Woody has to go to JUCO, and we can't sign any QB in this next class. Even if Sean is a good QB, our depth in '17 would be horrible. The question then is should we give Gus a free pass until 2018, or should we fire him at the obvious risk of losing WB and/or JG?

Let's hope WB, at very worst, goes to prep school, Mond signs, JG sticks, and of course, that SW work out.

Woody is not going to juco or prep school. He will be at AU, Just not in the early Summer like the rest of the class because his high school does not have graduation til mid June. Worst case scenario is he does not get to AU til early August. And we will sign a QB in this class. I'm not sure it will be a big time QB but we will sign 1.

So, you have acquired information that Woody is in good shape academically and there's no reason for worry along those lines? I hope that's what I'm reading.

The staff is confident FWIW.

Woah. Now that's a display of confidence (or inside info).

The signing a QB is not confidence. It's the plan & I'd be shocked if we didn't get 1.

Say Sean doesn't work out, Woody has to go to JUCO, and we can't sign any QB in this next class. Even if Sean is a good QB, our depth in '17 would be horrible. The question then is should we give Gus a free pass until 2018, or should we fire him

Wow, you now looking negatively 2 seasons into the future and are talking about firing the coach because of some fantasy scenario you made up in your head? You just assumed that our current QB would fail, our incoming QB would fail and our entire ability to even recruit another QB period would fail. My goodness that's a level of pathetic negativity I don't believe I've ever seen before. Please stop all together. It's disturbing.

^Agreed. We NEED to get someone out of JUCO (or prep school if WB goes there) for the 2017 class! We could be stuck in the SEC cellar until Gatewood arrives or has a year under his belt if not. If we stay in that cellar for the next two years, should we make a coaching change? Or should we keep GM to get JG?

Please Joey, stick with us and QUALIFY! And graduating early would be nice...

The idea that one QB will make bad seasons into good ones and keep us out of the SEC cellar is, to say the least, very weird. A good team (which we will have) won't be in the cellar because of one position.

This is just stupid. The QB position is one of the most integral positions in the game of football. Look at what happened to Oregon, the games that Vernon Adams did not play for them. Anytime they faced a team with a pulse they lost. TCU scored an unprecedented 31 unanswered points against the ducks in the second half in his absence and they got obliterated when he wasn't there during their game against the UTES.

Adams played defense too? Who knew he was a renaissance man?

Yeah this went right over your head. I wasn't expecting you to understand anyhow. Anywho, this Joey Gatewood! Pretty good, huh?

Edited by DAG

In one hand, I think it is ridiculous that Tiger is scoffing at the Cam Newton comparisons when there is FINALLY good reason to make the comparisons based on running style. On the other hand, I, too, am tired of hearing the Cam comparisons when they are not applicable. I saw them with Torrance Gibson and others and they don't apply. I saw Gruden compare Paxton Lynch to Cam Newton before the draft and I about spat my drink out of my mouth. People need to chill with the comparisons.

With that said, Gatewood runs just like Cam did. Same running, cutting, and weaving running style.

I will give you this, though: Gatewood is actually the first guy you can say style wise is actually comparable to Cam. I guess I always cringe when I see people trying to compare other QBs favorably to Cam when in reality they aren't close. But this JG thread might've been the wrong place to vent. I was thinking more production wise, but visually his style is similar especially in the ways you described. However, I said this whole same thing about JJ when his hype train was cranked all the way up before the season started and people were name dropping Cam in regards to how good JJ was going to be. Nobody knew he'd flop as bad as he did but even on his best day stylistically you just can't compare the 2.

Good post.

As for comparing only the running styles of Gatewood and Cam, it will be interesting to see if he turns into a guy who can run around, over or through SEC LBs. If he does, then yes, he'll run "just like Cam did". Cam could be Mike Vick or Cardale Jones. No reason I should see that in a high school freshman, but until I do, I don't.

Agree...I don't care if he can run like Cam....or Nick or Dak....just would be nice to have a guy who keeps our opponent's defensive coaches awake at night trying to figure what to do with him.

As much As I loved Nick and all the things he did for Auburn, my favorite type of QB would be someone of the skillsets of Chad kelly. Someone who can make every throw and run need be. I love having a running threat as a QB, but not when it takes a back seat to our receivers making the difference in game situations.

I think Chad Kelly is over hyped personally. We'll see how he does this year

Yeah, it is going to be interesting to see how he does now that he is considered the premier QB in the SEC.

Yep. He'll have one Laquan Treadwell tied behind his back this year. And he might not get as much help from his defense.

Edited by McLoofus

Agreed. Give me DeShaun all day every day over CK, a guy who consistently run & throws it well.

Agreed. Give me DeShaun all day every day over CK, a guy who consistently run & throws it well.

Well, Deshaun is kind of considered the best QB in the nation. I think everyone would want that. Interesting enough, though, Both Chad and Deshaun were successfully recruited by Clemson.

Both were picked #1 and #2, respectively in CBS early mock draft. That is pretty damn respectable.

Edited by DAG

Well, Deshaun is kind of considered the best QB in the nation. I think everyone would want that. Interesting enough, though, Both Chad and Deshaun were successfully recruited by Clemson.

Both were picked #1 and #2, respectively in CBS early mock draft. That is pretty damn respectable.

Yep. The only reason I brought up DW is because a goofy Rebs fan yesterday on Finebaum tried to say CK was as good of a runner, fast, & elusive as DW.

It's very interesting to see so many people who think Kelly is overhyped. I haven't been listening to much chatter outside of this board though, so maybe he is being overhyped in the media and elsewhere. Personally, I think he is one hell of a quarterback. Even absent Treadwell, he will have a full stable of weapons to throw to this year. I wouldn't expect him to drop off at all.

If the sentiment is that he's the best quarterback in the country or right behind Watson, then I'd agree that's giving him too much credit. However, his transformation under Freeze has been remarkable.

Yep. The only reason I brought up DW is because a goofy Rebs fan yesterday on Finebaum tried to say CK was as good of a runner, fast, & elusive as DW.

Yeah that's goofy, alright. Watson edges Kelly in all of those categories, and makes it look easy.

Agree completely

CK was pretty good before he got to Ole Miss, he just got into some trouble at Clemson. But he did very well when he transferred to a Jr College. He does seem to be a hothead, though. Maybe without a stellar O line and very good receivers, some defense can inside his head and mess him up.

Agree completely

CK was pretty good before he got to Ole Miss, he just got into some trouble at Clemson. But he did very well when he transferred to a Jr College. He does seem to be a hothead, though. Maybe without a stellar O line and very good receivers, some defense can inside his head and mess him up.

With a stellar O-Line and very good receivers most QB's look pretty good.

^Agreed. We NEED to get someone out of JUCO (or prep school if WB goes there) for the 2017 class! We could be stuck in the SEC cellar until Gatewood arrives or has a year under his belt if not. If we stay in that cellar for the next two years, should we make a coaching change? Or should we keep GM to get JG?

The idea that one QB will make bad seasons into good ones and keep us out of the SEC cellar is, to say the least, very weird. A good team (which we will have) won't be in the cellar because of one position.

This is just stupid. The QB position is one of the most integral positions in the game of football. Look at what happened to Oregon, the games that Vernon Adams did not play for them. Anytime they faced a team with a pulse they lost. TCU scored an unprecedented 31 unanswered points against the ducks in the second half in his absence and they got obliterated when he wasn't there during their game against the UTES.

Yeah this went right over your head. I wasn't expecting you to understand anyhow. Anywho, this Joey Gatewood! Pretty good, huh?

Nothing went over my head, you're just wrong. If a team gives up 31 points in a half it's not due to their own QB play, it's because their defense sucks. So, as I said, the QB position alone won't put an otherwise good team in the cellar. Now, if they have poor QB play and the defense sucks and their RB's fumble and their receivers drop good passes, then they will end up in the cellar but it won't be solely because of the QB.

Agree completely

Except they didn't have a stellar offensive line last year, and he will still have elite weapons on the outside this year...

I would expect more or less the same from him this year, meaning SEC leading numbers.

He has grown up a lot since being under Freeze.

Edited by Barnacle

Let me also day I think Kelly is talented, and I think he has guts. I think he's good. I just don't think he's first round franchise good. That's the hype I'm talking about. But he's a good qb that's what I'm saying

Let me also day I think Kelly is talented, and I think he has guts. I think he's good. I just don't think he's first round franchise good. That's the hype I'm talking about. But he's a good qb that's what I'm saying

I'm with you Cole

Nothing went over my head, you're just wrong. If a team gives up 31 points in a half it's not due to their own QB play, it's because their defense sucks. So, as I said, the QB position alone won't put an otherwise good team in the cellar. Now, if they have poor QB play and the defense sucks and their RB's fumble and their receivers drop good passes, then they will end up in the cellar but it won't be solely because of the QB.

31 UNANSWERED points. Do you know what UNANSWERED means? It means despite the defense giving up 31 points, the offense put up ZILCH the whole second half. You can have the best defense in the nation, you can have boobie miles in the backfield and Jerry Rice at the Z, but if you have uncle rico as your QB, none of those makes much of a difference. You are the only person on this thread who remotely believes this notion. Oregon was a completely different team with Vernon Adams than without him. I think AUJeff cited that Oregon only had 18 yards on 18 plays for the second half, after producing over 300 yards in the first half, yet you are going to blame the defense.

With Vernon Adams, they lose to Michigan state by 3 at Spartan stadium. Without Vernon Adams, they lose 62 - 20 against UTAH at Eugene. With Vernon Adams, they are up 31-0 against TCU at the half. Without Vernon Adams, they ultimately lose 47-41 in OT against TCU. He makes a huge difference in their team dynamics. You can keep your head in the sand all you want, but if he doesn't play for Oregon, they are probably 6-6 like us.

Does that mean QB play is the only thing that matters? NOPE. Can QB play change you from being an average team to a good to a great team? Yes.

Edited by DAG

Guys. This is not Joey related. Take it to PMs or let it go.

My apologies. So this Joey kid, pretty damn good, huh?

"Does that mean QB play is the only thing that matters? NOPE. Can QB play change you from being an average team to a good to a great team?Yes "

You're so right Clark. How any Auburn fan can argue against this after 2010 completely blows my mind. Our team would've been pretty good in 2010 but Cam took it to a whole new level.

Edited by aujeff11