Do we lose McGriff?

AlaskanFAN

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotcha.  I figured as much with CJ Avery choosing Louisville that behind the scenes things were going on.  Congrats to Crime Dog but we must look out for AU.  WDE, you got any idea who might be on Gus' short list?

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

Gotcha.  I figured as much with CJ Avery choosing Louisville that behind the scenes things were going on.  Congrats to Crime Dog but we must look out for AU.  WDE, you got any idea who might be on Gus' short list?

I don't. Gus has made some great hires on the D side so I'd expect another one here. 

Also looks like Ole Miss is losing three more coaches today. Chris Kiffin to FAU. Grant Heard to Indiana. And Chris Batoon. 

Damn was wishing we could keep a coaching staff together for more than one year on the defensive side at least.

so they are just cleaning house except Freeze.  Makes no sense.  Might as well get rid of him as well.  That way you can sell to the NCAA we cleaned up the mess we created.  I agree Gus has made some nice coaching hires on d 

Hell no on TT... we need a defensive backs coach he was linebacker coach.  We also need an elite recruiter.  He is neither of those.  I love Tommy for what he did as a coach here but he has no Auburn blood in him and played Auburn each year for more and more money.  

I say Hire Bird!!!  Bird with an assistant in Golf... bet they could find a hookup for the cruits on weekend visits.  PBR and tha womenz

Just now, corchjay said:

Hell no on TT... we need a defensive backs coach he was linebacker coach.  We also need an elite recruiter.  He is neither of those.  I love Tommy for what he did as a coach here but he has no Auburn blood in him and played Auburn each year for more and more money.  

I say Hire Bird!!!  Bird with an assistant in Golf... bet they could find a hookup for the cruits on weekend visits.  PBR and tha womenz

What? Thig is a average coach but an absolute stud recruiter. The guy is unreal. Seen it with my own eyes. One of the top 3 recruiters in the SEC and top five in the country. Smooth operator. 

2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

What? Thig is a average coach but an absolute stud recruiter. The guy is unreal. Seen it with my own eyes. One of the top 3 recruiters in the SEC and top five in the country. Smooth operator. 

Can't be sure, because of the insistence on using initials instead of names on this forum, but I think they were talking about Tubbs, not Thigpen.

20 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

Idk Bird and Golf would argue about which bbq is better. Much less which scheme to run? Plus arent those guys getting pretty old like 40s or 50s or somethin?

hey now i resemble that remark!!

20 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Can't be sure, because of the insistence on using initials instead of names on this forum, but I think they were talking about Tubbs, not Thigpen.

Yes Tuberville

This is a big loss for us. He's a fantastic recruiter and his coaching was even better IMO -- you aren't an NFL guy if coaching wasn't your strength. I wonder where we will go after for the open position. This this one stings a little.

Guys,  it stung last year when TRob left to become DC at USCe. Then Gus makes an amazing hire out of left field. It's crazy I have much more faith in his ability for picking defensive coaches than offensive ones (save for Horton and Horton wasn't even his 1st choice...)  

4 hours ago, AUDevil said:

It appears our DB coaching position is a stepping stone to an SEC D Coordinator position.  That's not a bad angle to pitch when looking for a replacement.

Melvin Smith and Charlie Harbison just stopped in to say hello to you... And maybe have a chat on their thoughts on that matter... 

Yes he was a good recruiter for Ole Miss, but who did he really recruit for us?  I mean think about it.  And our secondary was the same as last year.  The stats don't show that because our defensive line was not getting pressure last year so the opposing QB had all of the time in the world to find an open receiver.  I really didn't see much from him this year to be honest.  I don't think we improved or got worse, just stayed the same with Crime Dog.  I am not fretting too much.  We are retaining Steele, Travis Williams, and Rodney Garner and that is all that matters to me.

Just now, abw0004 said:

Yes he was a good recruiter for Ole Miss, but who did he really recruit for us?  I mean think about it.  And our secondary was the same as last year.  The stats don't show that because our defensive line was not getting pressure last year so the opposing QB had all of the time in the world to find an open receiver.  I really didn't see much from him this year to be honest.  I don't think we improved or got worse, just stayed the same with Crime Dog.  I am not fretting too much.  We are retaining Steele, Travis Williams, and Rodney Garner and that is all that matters to me.

Our DB play improved dramatically. We were MUCH tighter in coverage and had a ton of good pass break-ups. McGriff is an excellent on-field coach.

I can't speak to his recruiting prowess.  It really seems like kids are drawn tot he younger coaches these days. They don't want a mentor, they want a buddy.

20 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Our DB play improved dramatically. We were MUCH tighter in coverage and had a ton of good pass break-up. 

I like McGriff and I too liked the closer coverage by the DBs. I could be wrong but I feel that choice was more of a directive by Coach Steele than a choice by McGriff. I feel confident that Gus will allow Steele to bring in his choice and CS has shown that he can bring in a good coach. WDE

2 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I like McGriff and I too liked the closer coverage by the DBs. I could be wrong but I feel that choice was more of a directive by Coach Steele than a choice by McGriff. I feel confident that Gus will allow Steele to bring in his choice and CS has shown that he can bring in a good coach. WDE

No matter who's idea it was, McGriff coached the guys up to do it and do it well... which hadn't been the case in the past. 

10 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

That's great and all, but I don't think it would bode well for the program to replace a former NFL coach with an unproven up and comer from the high school ranks.  

I'm still hoping Ole Miss finds someone who has DC experience and is desperate enough to jump on a sinking ship.

hes at georgia and killing it in recruiting for them. It would be a good hire even if it was just to weaken georgia but he is also proven to be a fantastic coach on both sides of the ball. thats the measure of a true good coach. no matter where he goes Mcgee has shined.

Archived