2017 CFP Championship thread

aujeff11

7 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

This. We wanted DW very badly. You can see why.

Lots of people wanted him "very badly"....Clemson close to his home and had the right offense for him....fortunate for Dabo that he picked them.

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plays that apparently aren't targeting, according to the NCG referees: 

https://twitter.com/PickSixPreviews/status/818635204227137536
https://twitter.com/PickSixPreviews/status/818635898376060928

I'll say this. Reuben Foster is one heck of a linebacker, but he's a reckless, headhunting player, and for that reason I'm happy we won't see him again. 

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

Just read that Alabama DB Hootie Jones thought that they refs were against them. I guess there truly is a first time for everything. Must have been a shock to their system to see flags thrown for holding go against them. I think they got away with a targeting penalty against Mike Williams. Basically they aren't used to penalties being called on even ground. 

He was complaining about the "pick plays" not being called on Clemson. That's irony at the top level coming from a bammer. Especially since saban has spoken about, in his words, "pick plays" that bammer offense runs.

26 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

He was complaining about the "pick plays" not being called on Clemson. That's irony at the top level coming from a bammer. Especially since saban has spoken about, in his words, "pick plays" that bammer offense runs.

That last play was not a pick play. The defensive back throws the wide out to the ground. It worked against them. 

9 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Can't wait for Bama to cling to "the refs screwed us" for the rest of eternity. 

They don't have anything to complain about.  They got away with literally trying to take Williams out of the game and they did for virtually the 2nd and 3rd quarter, then he rose up in the 4th.  That was clearly a late hit on one play and a targeting on another in the 1st quarter.  

I love the irony of there being :01 left on the clock.  Just gotta make us AU folks smile.  Bama fans will cringe every time the clock passes or stops on :01 in the 4th from here to eternity!!

12 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Now we get to knock off the defending Champs like they did us at the same venue.  

Time to start the grind and please Gus...get this offense ready to play!

Interesting that we once again open and close our season against the two top teams from the previous year (if you discount Ga Southern) 

Lots of pressure on everyone for certain though I still think we were a healthy QB away from winning either game this year....and the QB situation looking MUCH better for 2017.  I'm hopeful....even optimistic....:) 

13 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Interesting that we once again open and close our season against the two top teams from the previous year (if you discount Ga Southern) 

Can't discount Georgia Southern... that warm up game could be the difference between a win and a loss to Clemson, based on Gus's history.

37 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Can't discount Georgia Southern... that warm up game could be the difference between a win and a loss to Clemson, based on Gus's history.

Not discounting them  but can't remember the last time we actually lost to a team like this though I expect it has happened. Actually that is a good starting game for us . This year we hit Clemson cold with no idea about our quarterback situation . GSU should give us a good chance to see what the offense is all about.

As per last year, I see the upcoming Clemson game as being winnable. 

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not discounting them  but can't remember the last time we actually lost to a team like this though I expect it has happened. Actually that is a good starting game for us . This year we hit Clemson cold with no idea about our quarterback situation . GSU should give us a good chance to see what the offense is all about.

As per last year, I see the upcoming Clemson game as being winnable. 

The way we as fans are, after the GSU games, we will have segment putting us the playoffs for next year, and the other segment wanting to fire Gus on the spot.

55 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

The way we as fans are, after the GSU games, we will have segment putting us the playoffs for next year, and the other segment wanting to fire Gus on the spot.

So true...but the thing is, the fans on either side of the argument will have already made up their minds before the game..... and very likely, nothing they see will cause them to change sides.   Like a political argument.....nobody is ever convinced by a spokesperson from the other side.

1 hour ago, 80Tiger said:

Then there will also be those who question..... Why is AU even playing Ga Southern in the first place. 

I know $$$$$ is the obvious answer but...booooorriiinnnngg...

Not the place, sorry, but I wish the AU PTB had the guts to play 3 big time oppenents and just have 1 snoozer per year for HC.

But that's just me.  I'm here for the entertainment.

6 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Then there will also be those who question..... Why is AU even playing Ga Southern in the first place. 

I know $$$$$ is the obvious answer but...booooorriiinnnngg...

Not the place, sorry, but I wish the AU PTB had the guts to play 3 big time oppenents and just have 1 snoozer per year for HC.

But that's just me.  I'm here for the entertainment.

At the same time, we do that and your Ohio States, Clemsons, FSUs, etc have that much more of an edge getting to the playoffs, because more than half of their conferences are basically cupcakes, while our conference is getting more and more top heavy.

Also, no one wants to play us as their non-conference opponent and risk the loss.

17 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

At the same time, we do that and your Ohio States, Clemsons, FSUs, etc have that much more of an edge getting to the playoffs, because more than half of their conferences are basically cupcakes, while our conference is getting more and more top heavy.

Also, no one wants to play us as their non-conference opponent and risk the loss.

Yeah, like I said, I get it.  Path of least resistance and all...  I just personally don't worry much about the national championship (I let others worry about that) and would rather be entertained EVERY week.

BUT....I know that's just me.

14 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Yeah, like I said, I get it.  Path of least resistance and all...  I just personally don't worry much about the national championship (I let others worry about that) and would rather be entertained EVERY week.

BUT....I know that's just me.

There is a certain level of entertainment to be had watching the offense operate at maximum efficiency. It's also nice to see the back-ups once in a while :)

12 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

There is a certain level of entertainment to be had watching the offense operate at maximum efficiency. It's also nice to see the back-ups once in a while :)

Awwww... That's sweet.  Let everybody get a trophy? :poke:

I get that, for some people.  However, I love football when it gets me emotionally jacked (always have).  My A.D.D. kicks in when they curbstomp SW La Tech Univ. and I go cut the grass or play Tea Party with my girls.

12 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Awwww... That's sweet.  Let everybody get a trophy? :poke:

I get that, for some people.  However, I love football when it gets me emotionally jacked (always have).  My A.D.D. kicks in when they curbstomp SW La Tech Univ. and I go cut the grass or play Tea Party with my girls.

You and your anxiety are better friends than me and mine, then.  I need a break from 7 point or less decisions once in a while.

9 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

You and your anxiety are better friends than me and mine, then.  I need a break from 7 point or less decisions once in a while.

That's what Family & Beer are for my friend. ...not always in that order.

17 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

That........................ WAS AUSOME!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I've always been pro warm up games to start a season

Awesome game. Watson was a game changer, it's crazy how that can work. We may would have two titles had Watson came to play here

29 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

That........................ WAS AUSOME!!!!!!!!

I wish they would roll the footage back a little more.  I'm trying to figure out how he ended up on his knees in the first place.

6 hours ago, AU64 said:

Lots of pressure on everyone for certain though I still think we were a healthy QB away from winning either game this year....and the QB situation looking MUCH better for 2017.  I'm hopeful....even optimistic....:) 

We need to win one of them

Archived