Chip Lindsey new OC

RunInRed

CGM: “I’m excited to welcome Chip Lindsey to the Auburn family,” Malzahn said. “I have the utmost confidence in his ability to lead our offense and his strength in developing quarterbacks makes him the perfect fit. Chip is a man of integrity and character who will fit well within our staff. He has great knowledge and enthusiasm for the game and is a rising star in this profession.” Lindsey was an offensive analyst under Malzahn at Auburn in 2013, when the Tigers won the SEC Championship and played in the BCS National Championship Game.

Chip Lindsey:  “My family and I are very excited to return to Auburn and our home state,” Lindsey said. “Both are very special places to us. I looking forward to reuniting with Coach Malzahn and his staff. They are great coaches and great people. I look forward to being part of something special and helping Auburn win championships.”

Lindsey

Family: Wife, Cecily and four children -- Claire, Caroline, Cooper and Conner

Coaching Career: Served as an assistant at Springville, Sparkman, Deshler and Hoover high schools in Alabama; spent 2005-06 as head coach at Colbert Heights High, just outside Tuscumbia; spent two seasons as head coach at Lassiter (Ga.) High; spent 2010 as quarterbacks coach at Troy; spent 2011-12 as head coach at Spain Park High in suburban Birmingham; spent 2013 as offensive analyst at Auburn; spent 2014-15 as offensive coordinator at Southern Miss; most recently offensive coordinator at Arizona State

Playing Career: Played briefly at Division II North Alabama after graduating from Bob Jones in Madison

In high school, Lindsey coached alongside legendary high school coaches John Mothershed at Deshler and Rush Propst at Hoover before becoming head coach at Colbert Heights. He later became head coach at Lassiter (Ga.) and Spain Park in suburban Birmingham, worked at Troy in his first foray into the college game and served on the Auburn staff of Gus Malzahn when the Tigers advanced to the BCS National Championship Game.

Along the way, his offensive philosophy changed.

“In high school, I was more of a spread you out guy,” he said. “You still have to run the football and we still had that element, but you’ve got to get the best athletes you can on the field. All you can present to them is to have a good time. You don’t have a scholarship to offer.

“In college, you realize you better be able to run the football,” he added. “Then, you can have play-action and tempo and the screen game and all those other things.”

http://highschoolsports.al.com/news/article/562910171801060433/how-did-chip-lindsey-rise-from-alabama-high-school-coach-to-offensive-coordinator-in-the-pac-12/

Lindsey is known as a quarterback developer.

Lindsey’s first college job involved working with the pass-first quarterbacks at Troy, which employed an Air Raid style. In his one and only season with the Trojans, he developed freshman quarterback Corey Robinson into a passer that finished with 3,707 yards, 28 touchdowns, a Sun Belt co-championship and a New Orleans Bowl victory.

At Southern Miss, Lindsey reunited with Nick Mullens, who he coached at Spain Park. (He also coached former Georgia quarterback Hutson Mason at Lassiter.) Mullens improved his numbers as a sophomore in 2014 before exploding onto the scene in 2015 with 4,476 yards, 38 touchdowns and just 12 interceptions as the Eagles made it to the Conference USA title game.

“That’s all he’s done his entire life… develop quarterbacks,” Arizona State head coach Todd Graham said last summer, per Doug Haller of the Arizona Republic.

Lindsey’s play-calling style is different from what Auburn had under Malzahn and Lashlee.

First, the run-pass balance won’t be the same. At Southern Miss in 2015, Lindsey’s offense averaged 37.9 passes per game and 35.9 rushes per game. At Arizona State in 2016, it averaged 35.4 passes per game and 39.6 rushes per game. Contrast that with Auburn under Lashlee, which never averaged more than 25.5 passes per game and never averaged fewer than 45.1 rushes per game.

Lindsey’s offenses are usually more balanced, and they leaned pass-heavy in his high school days. But he doesn’t neglect the run — he had a pair of 1,000-yard rushers in 2015 at Southern Miss despite the fact the Eagles ranked 92nd in rushing attempts per game. He’ll build his attack around Auburn’s strengths, and the Tigers appear to have more balance coming their way in 2017 with the arrival of Jarrett Stidham.

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/chip-lindsey-auburn-football-offensive-coordinator

• Like 4

Well, I guess the wheel has been set in motion. Let's see what happens.

• Like 1

Mixed feelings. I don't like that he's from Malzahn's tree but he was very successful at Southern Miss and ASU. 

• Like 1

Time to sink or swim. I think this hire has potential. But we'll probably be searching for a new head coach and AD next year. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Lindsey

Is it me, or does Lindsey look at bit like a bald Muschamp in this pic? :dunno:

2 minutes ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

Where are we going?

8-5 or 7-6 again thats where with losses to Georgia and Bammer again becuase we will have the same damn offense we did this past year. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Never2Yield said:

Is it me, or does Lindsey look at bit like a bald Muschamp in this pick? :dunno:

He looks nothing like muschamp nor is he bald. Balding rapidly though. Lol

Edited by alexava

1 minute ago, Cozmo said:

Having to play 5 QB'S due to injuries will do that to any team..

He's an uparade to Rhett and actually called plays the last 3 years and developed QBs, something Rhett never did...

He wasn't my choice, but there are definitely worse choices out there..

Gus has shown no evidence that he gives up control when his seat gets hot. This will be more of the same. I'm thinking similar to Tubbs and Franklin, first sign of problems and we're back to the whirly bird  

• ellitor pinned and featured this topic

All I know is he was thought to be a great QB coach when at Troy which is extremely important.

• Like 1