Just hitting Twitter, but 247Sports just bought Scout

TitanTiger

The question for us is what happens to Mark & Jason & their ITAT staff? Does one of them get hired by AU 247 since they are looking for a reporter anyway? Does ITAT absolve or what?

Mass carnage to ensue.  Who stays and who goes?  The Bama Scout site is an absolutely joke.  I can't imagine they keep anyone over the 247 crew.  But the Auburn Scout site has Mark Murphy and Jason Caldwell who are incredibly respected.  But I'm not sure they are better than the crew over at 247 for Auburn in terms of getting after it for recruiting scoop.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Mass carnage to ensue.  Who stays and who goes?  The Bama Scout site is an absolutely joke.  I can't imagine they keep anyone over the 247 crew.  But the Auburn Scout site has Mark Murphy and Jason Caldwell who are incredibly respected.  But I'm not sure they are better than the crew over at 247 for Auburn in terms of getting after it for recruiting scoop.

They are both good people & good reporters. MM always has some scoop each year other sites don't have.

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

from a business model standpoint, I imagine one of the main purposes for the purchase was to increase manpower with a pre-existing revenue stream to support it. After all, it requires bodies to improve the content on a recruiting site. Lots of kids to review, interview, etc.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

from a business model standpoint, I imagine one of the main purposes for the purchase was to increase manpower with a pre-existing revenue stream to support it. After all, it requires bodies to improve the content on a recruiting site. Lots of kids to review, interview, etc.

Possibly.  But then again, if you feel your current staff for a certain site has it covered well, why pay more people?

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Possibly.  But then again, if you feel your current staff for a certain site has it covered well, why pay more people?

My guess would be a shift in duties... more behind the scenes, less writing... possibly across the board. We were just talking the other day about how hard it is for these sites to be accurate because they don't have time to truly evaluate everyone. If they have the revenue stream to pay more staff, then that will provide for more time to get them that much closer to accuracy. After all, they still have to compete with Rivals, and the 400lb Gorilla that is ESPN.

Bryan, Jason and Mark are good friends and share information anyway so this (from and AU viewpoint) could be good for them in general.

27 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Brian, Jason and Mark are good friends and share information anyway so this (from and AU viewpoint) could be good for them in general.

Bryan is at Rivals.

Mark Murphy is the most accurate in terms of reported information, most professional AU website Owner/Admin/Mod on the internet.  I hope he makes millions off of this deal.

wde

3 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Bryan is at Rivals.

I  know....& know them pretty well. 

6 hours ago, RunInRed said:

That sounds like placating talk to keep talent from bolting until they figure out who stays and who gets cut.

11 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Standard procedure.  Run both companies in parallel for 6-months to a year. Mine the best aspects of each and roll them into a single entity. Cut all excess support and management staff. In the long run, it doesn't make business sense to compete with yourself.

I still think the "talent" is probably safe.  It's IT, Marketing, and management that need to start dusting off their resumes.

Archived