2018 4* WR Anthony Schwartz Commits to AU!!!

ellitor

I just watched his senior film. Let me just say, if we land him, we have to utilize this kid. You can't teach his speed and his hands are like glue. If we land him, he'll be my favorite commit in the class.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

I just watched his senior film. Let me just say, if we land him, we have to utilize this kid. You can't teach his speed and his hands are like glue. If we land him, he'll be my favorite commit in the class.

Sharing is caring

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Look how many times a DB thinks he has the angle before Anthony kicks in another gear.

My thoughts exactly

14 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

him and shivers as our sprinters would be deadly!!!! when we tailgating for some track meets fredst?!?!? WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Don't forget Iggy was a state champion sprinter as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm starting to wonder if we'll take five WR this year? Ross is an obvious take. We have only six slots left. Do we use two of them for a fourth and fifth WR? I'm doubting it unless several targets at other positions fall through.

Now, there's a way around this: Sign Schwartz to a track scholarship and let him run track his first year at AU. He won't be able to play football on a track scholly but we'll have him on campus. Then we can sign him to a football scholarship next year when we won't have such a numbers crunch and he'll have four years to play four.

PS: There's an NCAA rule: If a recruited athlete is on scholarship and plays football or basketball, his scholarship must be assigned to football or basketball. That's why Schwartz wouldn't be able to play football his first year in the above scenario. And no, a recruited athlete cannot be put on academic scholarship and play his sport either, he's immediately counted against his sport's limit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'm starting to wonder if we'll take five WR this year? Ross is an obvious take. We have only six slots left. Do we use two of them for a fourth and fifth WR? I'm doubting it unless several targets at other positions fall through.

Now, there's a way around this: Sign Schwartz to a track scholarship and let him run track his first year at AU. He won't be able to play football on a track scholly but we'll have him on campus. Then we can sign him to a football scholarship next year when we won't have such a numbers crunch and he'll have four years to play four.

PS: There's an NCAA rule: If a recruited athlete is on scholarship and plays football or basketball, his scholarship must be assigned to football or basketball. That's why Schwartz wouldn't be able to play football his first year in the above scenario. And no, a recruited athlete cannot be put on academic scholarship and play his sport either, he's immediately counted against his sport's limit.

barney-stinson.gif

14 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Now, there's a way around this: Sign Schwartz to a track scholarship

I'm going to ask a dumb question.  How much is a track scholarship worth?  Is it a full ride or a partial?

Just now, saminbama said:

I'm going to ask a dumb question.  How much is a track scholarship worth?  Is it a full ride or a partial?

That is something I don't know. I suspect it's like baseball, normally partial but an outstanding prospect can get the full ride. The % of full scholarship being up to the head coach.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Mikey, you're a genius!!!

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Creative plan, but Schwartz is a blue chip athlete and doesn't necessarily need to deal with such inconveniences.  If I were him I'd want to come in and be a part of the football culture from the start.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mikey said:

That is something I don't know. I suspect it's like baseball, normally partial but an outstanding prospect can get the full ride. The % of full scholarship being up to the head coach.

Yes, track scholarships are like baseball.  Very rarely is there a full ride to any athlete.  Typically it is some percentage and you have to pay for the rest of the tuition.

9 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Creative plan, but Schwartz is a blue chip athlete and doesn't necessarily need to deal with such inconveniences.  If I were him I'd want to come in and be a part of the football culture from the start.

Agreed, Interesting plan @Mikey but this kid turned down a full ride track scholarship personally offered by Carl Lewis so he could play football.  I doubt he comes to AU to run track for a year.

I say it is first come first scholarship between him and Ross.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Well football wise AU & Florida are his final 2 & it remains to be seen how interested Mullen actually is in him.

1 minute ago, LKEEL75 said:

this kid turned down a full ride track scholarship personally offered by Carl Lewis so he could play football.

Hasn't turned that down as an option yet to my knowledge.

Just now, ellitor said:

Hasn't turned that down as an option yet to my knowledge.

Guess I just inferred it from the article you posted:

Schwartz is perhaps most known for his elite track ability. Houston sprinters coach Carl Lewis personally recruited Schwartz to exclusively run track for the Cougars, but ultimately Schwartz’s desire to play football at the next level outweighed his continued Olympic dream.

I think Mullen is going to have more success, using FL as his chip when recruiting. He did well at MSU with the limits MSU recruiting has with their small stadium..and other lessor recruiting extras.

But I worry, since I do like his offense..and I can see Schwartz fitting in a little better there than how Gus/Chip so far in their evolving offense tends to forget certain WRs on drives (NCM, Hastings..etc..lol) 

7 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I think Mullen is going to have more success, using FL as his chip when recruiting. He did well at MSU with the limits MSU recruiting has with their small stadium..and other lessor recruiting extras.

But I worry, since I do like his offense..and I can see Schwartz fitting in a little better there than how Gus/Chip so far in their evolving offense tends to forget certain WRs on drives (NCM, Hastings..etc..lol) 

If Schwartz gets here, he’ll have the opportunity to compete on special teams return units and at least on end arounds and sweeps from the start. Gus won’t ever forget those plays.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

12 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Actually I don't recall Mullen getting & using smaller quick recievers often. He's been more of a big bodied type pf WRs coach.

6 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Yes and not just use him in the end around/reverse role...he can be a deep threat.

Just now, ellitor said:

Actually I don't recall Mullen getting & using smaller quick recievers often. He's been more of a big bodied type pf WRs coach.

That's is very true too E.. But I recall some more smaller faster Wrs he used for bubble screens and some quick slants..just can't recall names...

Mullen's expertise to me is QB development. I never thought Prescott would be this good in the NFL..but Prescott said one time that Mullen's offense was NFL type, but only difference they didn't go under center.

• Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

But I recall some more smaller faster Wrs he used for bubble screens and some quick slants..just can't recall names...

Well he can do this at Auburn all day...screens that is. 

Edit:  Ryan Davis gets plenty of short and intermediate passes as well. No need to go to Florida for that.

Edited by aujeff11

1 hour ago, WFE12 said:

Yes and not just use him in the end around/reverse role...he can be a deep threat.

Pray he becomes one