Spotlight on Kam Martin and Perimeter run plays

StatTiger

Last season Auburn was No. 6 nationally in rushing yardage gained on first down and No. 18 in yards per rush on first down. The downfall came with Auburn being No. 4 nationally in rushing attempts on first down per game, which often made the Tigers predictable on first down. Compounding the issue was the high frequency of runs between the tackles, which resulted in opponents crashing off the edge to blow up the play from behind. During the A-Day game, Coach Chip Lindsey called a high number of pass attempts on first down and when the Tigers did run, we saw more perimeter runs. If Lindsey can make the offense productive on first down, the 2017 Auburn offense should be difficult to defend. During the past 25 seasons, Auburn offenses that averaged at least 6-yards per play on first down during a season, gained 25 percent more yardage than the Auburn offenses that did not.

The Play...

photo A-Day - Outsude draw_zpsphuv6dhg.jpg

On this play the offense comes out in their base set on first down. Chip Lindsey calls a draw play designed to bounce outside the congestion between the tackles. In the past, Auburn under Gus Malzahn had several variation of draw plays but the majority of them normally came on 3rd and long situations. Rarely did we see a draw play on first down.

The wide receivers on the wide side of the field (Eli Stove and Sal Cannella) will run out routes stacked over one another. This creates space in the flat and a wide running lane for Kam Martin, while forcing the DB's to respect actual pass routes rather than being blocked right off the line (tipping the run). At the snap, Kam Martin freezes in his 2-point stance as Malik Willis drops towards Martin before handing off the football. Kam Martin is able to bounce outside for an 11-yard gain. To his credit, Michael Sherwood is playing the "Buck" position on the play. His quickness draws a holding penalty on Jalen Harris.

Kam Martin will not be an every down back in 2017 but he certainly needs to be a major component of the offense. Coach Chip Lindsey recognizes Martin's potential for being explosive. During A-Day, Coach Lindsey called multiple plays in attempt to place Martin in open space. There were perimeter runs, swing passes and wheel routes to the speedster.

Last season Kamryn Pettway averaged a 15-yard gain or better every 12.4 touches. Kerryon Johnson averaged 1 every 18.1 touches. Kam Martin was No. 1 among the Auburn running backs with 1 every 7.6 touches. Martin could transform into Auburn's specialty back, especially on third down.

• Like 4

I'm loving the amount of talent we have coming back at the offensive skill positions...gotta make Stidham pretty giddy in his own right, too!

• Like 1

And should be a HUGE ATTRACTION for recruits.

Great analysis, thanks for sharing.   Let me go get another cup of orange and blue kool aid

• Like 1

Hope we see some more 1st down play like this and also some new wrinkles added to the NASCAR set after a first down too. Both very predictable.

I just hope Kam, Stidham and White are spending a lot of time together this Summer. With our sharpshooter QBs, Kam needs to reel in everything that comes near his hands.

6 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I just hope Kam, Stidham and White are spending a lot of time together this Summer. With our sharpshooter QBs, Kam needs to reel in everything that comes near his hands.

Kam "lost in space" Martin my new nickname for him...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Image result for lost in space meme

Golf, us and few old timers are probably the only ones that know who/what that is... Danger Will Robinson

21 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Golf, us and few old timers are probably the only ones that know who/what that is... Danger Will Robinson

yep....mikey, 64, slammer and a few other but not very many

4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

yep....mikey, 64, slammer and a few other but not very many

Easy big fella. I used to love me some "Lost in Space". Count me in.

15 minutes ago, fredst said:

Easy big fella. I used to love me some "Lost in Space". Count me in.

Hell I can't remember all the old farts we have just picked a few so sorry

Just now, augolf1716 said:

Hell I can't remember all the old farts we have just picked a few so sorry

That's ok you bumbleheaded booby. Carry on....