When does Saban Retire

Beaker

Hate to say it but:

Best MSU coach ever Duffy Daugherty win pct .609 vs. Saban .585

Best LSU coaches of all time Charlie McClendon win pct .682 vs. Les Miles .770 vs. Saban .750

Best Turd of all time the Bear win pct .824 vs. Saban .862 (and the Bear owned recruiting, and everything else in the state that counted and had an easier schedule all the time vs. Saban)

Seems like he's a pretty good coach to me.

We beat Saban 5 in a row and he'll be out so he doesn't tie Shula's record losing streak against us.  Other than that, he'll probably die as the turd HC.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Hate to say it but:

Best MSU coach ever Duffy Daugherty win pct .609 vs. Saban .585

Best LSU coaches of all time Charlie McClendon win pct .682 vs. Les Miles .770 vs. Saban .750

Best Turd of all time the Bear win pct .824 vs. Saban .862 (and the Bear owned recruiting, and everything else in the state that counted and had an easier schedule all the time vs. Saban)

Seems like he's a pretty good coach to me.

We beat Saban 5 in a row and he'll be out so he doesn't tie Shula's record losing streak against us.  Other than that, he'll probably die as the turd HC.

He is a great coach. Like LBJ is a great player. Like TB is a great QB. You will always hear people say NS only is great because of Bama, LBJ is only great because he played in the Eastern Conference, Tom Brady is only great because he played for the Patriots. Yet, let one of these individuals leave their current teams...I bet you anything fans from other teams would welcome them with open arms. Maybe, I am unique in this matter, but I enjoy seeing excellence. I don't care how I personally feel about someone, the fan in me really appreciates the hard work it takes for some of these individuals to be at the top on a consistent basis, especially when it is not easily replicated.

On 6/3/2017 at 2:04 PM, bigbird said:

During Tubs time, bama didnt have the NCAA's head man tied to their coach. If Saban goes down Emmert goes down.  They were dirty and complicit together while at LSU.

After the Logan Young fiasco and the NCAA sanctions the bammer machine laid the groundwork for never having to worry about getting caught again. There are now bammers at every important organization that has any influence in college football. TTown Menswear, Trent Richardson's family, that kid from Russellville  who was taken to the beach by a booster.....not a flicker of interest from the NCAA. And Ole Miss who beat bammer a lot recently is going to take a fall for doing much less than bammer has done for years. bammer just taking care of business....The numerous advantages that the nickster has make him successful. If it was his ability as a coach then he would've duplicated it everywhere else he's been. His deficiencies were especially glaring in the NFL where he couldn't cheat his way into winning.

I want him to start losing to Auburn every year until the hounds tooth cult runs him off. Auburn just needs to stay squeaky clean while doing it just like the situation with Cam. I am convinced that bammer was behind that ordeal getting blown out of proportion and they were sure Auburn had skeletons in the closet like they do. I will never ever forget what they put Cam through, and how ESPN treated him during the Heisman ceremony. 

Saban is the worst thing to ever happen to college football and it will never be the same because of him. 

^^ Worst part about that is if Cam had his remarkable season at AU just 5 or 6 years later the narrative wouldn't have been so damn vitriolic. Half of the college fans now think players deserve a little money anyway! And people have held on to that weird resentment they felt towards him from AU and it affects how he's perceived now IMO

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

^^ Worst part about that is if Cam had his remarkable season at AU just 5 or 6 years later the narrative wouldn't have been so damn vitriolic. Half of the college fans now think players deserve a little money anyway! And people have held on to that weird resentment they felt towards him from AU and it affects how he's perceived now IMO

Yes that's absolutely true. The haters come out at every opportunity and Cam has done nothing to deserve it. It's just sickening at times.

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

It's ridiculous to see comments from the Ole Miss fan base about Cam Newton while they are getting racked over the coals by the NCAA. :angry:

SDS link on this subject....

Alabama fans hope and pray the day never comes when Nick Saban announces his retirement as former Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops surprisingly did Wednesday. While the day eventually has to come, the Crimson Tide coach has given no indication that it will be any time soon and even admitted it ‘don’t feel like’ it will in the near future.

Saban was asked a few questions by media members Thursday at the Nick’s Kid Golf Tournament at Old Overton Club. Charlie Potter of BamaOnline/247Sports was among the reporters at the scene when a question regarding retirement was asked.

Here’s what Saban had to say:

“As long as I feel good, I love doing it,” Saban said. “I’ve said this before: I’ve been a part of a team since I was nine years old. It scares me to death to figure what it’s going to be like when I’m not a part of a team.

“So, as long as I feel good and I’m healthy and I can do it, we certainly have every intention of trying to do it. If I felt like I couldn’t do it to the standard that I want to do it, then I think that would be time not to do it. But I certainly don’t feel like that’s any time soon.”

Alabama’s head coach will turn 66 on Oct. 31 of this year. Stoops walks away from his Oklahoma program at the age of 56. Interestingly enough, former Tennessee head coach Phillip Fulmer, who was fired during the 2008 season, is only one year older than Saban.

14 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

Charlie Potter of BamaOnline/247Sports was among the reporters at the scene when a question regarding retirement was asked.

I love when reporters ask questions like that and expect to get anything but "I'm going to be here for a long time" on the record. Like if anyone was planning a change, they are going to broadcast it before having all of their ducks in a row with their employer.

20 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I love when reporters ask questions like that and expect to get anything but "I'm going to be here for a long time" on the record. Like if anyone was planning a change, they are going to broadcast it before having all of their ducks in a row with their employer.

They only ask the question for the headline not a real answer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I for one do not see Dabo jumping like many think. Clemson will pony up whatever it takes to keep him.

I'll bet my left arm that his replacement is going to be Pruitt.

See, ranking the SEC's coaching jobs (like an article that came out this week) is a difficult thing to do--I don't think being Saban's replacement is going to be very desirable.

15 hours ago, AUwent said:

I for one do not see Dabo jumping like many think. Clemson will pony up whatever it takes to keep him.

Assuming that Alabama makes Dabo a priority, I don't think it will matter what Clemson does. 

^Yes it will. Clemson isn't some shoestring program. Being CNS's replacement is an unenviable position. Coaches that follow "the guy" are never high-profile.

The answer to the original question: Not Soon Enough!

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

^Yes it will. Clemson isn't some shoestring program. Being CNS's replacement is an unenviable position. Coaches that follow "the guy" are never high-profile.

Clemson isn't some shoestring program. Who said it was? Clemson is a fine program and probably a great place to live. I'm sure they could offer him a lot of money. That being said, if Alabama wants him, I don't know how he could say no. 1) If it's a matter of money, Clemson can't compete. Even if they could, I don't see Dabo being someone who would turn down the Alabama job because of money. 2) Dabo, Dabo's wife, and both of their families are from Alabama. 3) Dabo and Dabo's wife are both Alabama alumni. They both love Tuscaloosa. 3) Dabo, his wife and both of their entire families are Alabama fans. 4) Dabo played at Alabama. 4) Dabo started his coaching career at Alabama. 6) Dabo got married in Tuscaloosa. 4) Their families still live in Alabama, and so do many of their long-time friends. 

I mean, almost every significant thing that has happened in Dabo's life happened in Alabama/at Alabama/in Tuscaloosa. Granted I have no doubt that he and his wife love Clemson, and that it would be difficult for them to leave after the opportunity they gave him and what he has done with it. He's made a lot of great memories there too. Hell, he won a national championship. But, like I said, if Bama makes him their priority, I don't think he'll be capable of turning it down. We all know its his dream - and at the end of the day Alabama is where his family is, his roots are and probably where his heart is.

Being CNS's replacement is an unenviable position. I don't disagree, but for all the reasons above, I don't think that would matter. 

Coaches that follow "the guy" are never high-profile. That's why I said "assuming Bama makes him a priority." If Alabama wants to look at someone else, then that's what they'll do. But whatever ponies that Clemson has for Dabo, Alabama will have thoroughbreds. Clemson isn't going to win that race. 

14 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Clemson isn't some shoestring program. Who said it was? Clemson is a fine program and probably a great place to live. I'm sure they could offer him a lot of money. That being said, if Alabama wants him, I don't know how he could say no. 1) If it's a matter of money, Clemson can't compete. Even if they could, I don't see Dabo being someone who would turn down the Alabama job because of money. 2) Dabo, Dabo's wife, and both of their families are from Alabama. 3) Dabo and Dabo's wife are both Alabama alumni. They both love Tuscaloosa. 3) Dabo, his wife and both of their entire families are Alabama fans. 4) Dabo played at Alabama. 4) Dabo started his coaching career at Alabama. 6) Dabo got married in Tuscaloosa. 4) Their families still live in Alabama, and so do many of their long-time friends. 

I mean, almost every significant thing that has happened in Dabo's life happened in Alabama/at Alabama/in Tuscaloosa. Granted I have no doubt that he and his wife love Clemson, and that it would be difficult for them to leave after the opportunity they gave him and what he has done with it. He's made a lot of great memories there too. Hell, he won a national championship. But, like I said, if Bama makes him their priority, I don't think he'll be capable of turning it down. We all know its his dream - and at the end of the day Alabama is where his family is, his roots are and probably where his heart is.

Being CNS's replacement is an unenviable position. I don't disagree, but for all the reasons above, I don't think that would matter. 

Coaches that follow "the guy" are never high-profile. That's why I said "assuming Bama makes him a priority." If Alabama wants to look at someone else, then that's what they'll do. But whatever ponies that Clemson has for Dabo, Alabama will have thoroughbreds. Clemson isn't going to win that race. 

True, it does depend on how much Bama is willing to pay. If they're going to put everything they have into one guy, then yeah. On the other hand, if enough time goes by, Dabo may become even further entrenched into the Clemson community.

Basically, while it's possible, I don't see it as the given that most see it as. Updyke will still be good, but it ain't sustaining its current level once Saban hangs it up.

It will take Saban 8 to 10 years to pass Bear Bryant's win record.

Saban needs 2 more NCs at Bama to match Bryant's 6 Bama NCs. He would pass Bryant in total NCs (7 vs. 6) at that point.

I do not think Saban will coach past age 70, so he is not going after 324 wins. But I do think Saban believes he can match Saban's 6 NCs, and perhaps hit 7 NCs with Bama, becoming the greatest Bama HC ever.

I think Saban set this as his personal goal when he agreed to stay at Bama.

I think Saban would like to win an NC every year, but I also think he sees himself going out on top, winning that 6th or 7th NC in 2020 or 2021, then announcing his retirement.

I think if Saban stumbles over the next three years, the frustration might become a factor. Each year Saban gets closer to age 70, the chance a recruit will not play under Saban for his entire career becomes a factor. Saban may need to consider a Head Coach in Waiting to prevent recruiting drop-off. I know HCIW's are problematic now, but I don't know how Bama avoids this. Recruiting declines happen at every program when the legendary coach is perceived to be approaching retirement.

Just now, AUwent said:

True, it does depend on how much Bama is willing to pay. If they're going to put everything they have into one guy, then yeah. On the other hand, if enough time goes by, Dabo may become even further entrenched into the Clemson community.

That's the most compelling reason for him to stay, in my opinion. Dabo seems like a pretty relational guy - and I'm sure they've got some really strong ties down there. After all, Clemson gave him a chance to take over the show. I mean, he'll never be able to repay that. I just imagine that at some point he's going to want to come back to Alabama. 

He could pass it up once, but what happens then? Maybe the next guy continues enough success to stick around for 10 more years, and then Dabo is 60 years old the next time around. I wouldn't take the job following Nick Saban, but I could see Dabo doing it. 

2 minutes ago, meh130 said:

I think Saban would like to win an NC every year, but I also think he sees himself going out on top, winning that 6th or 7th NC in 2020 or 2021, then announcing his retirement.

This is what I see happening (assuming he get's at least the 6th). 

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

That's the most compelling reason for him to stay, in my opinion. Dabo seems like a pretty relational guy - and I'm sure they've got some really strong ties down there. After all, Clemson gave him a chance to take over the show. I mean, he'll never be able to repay that. I just imagine that at some point he's going to want to come back to Alabama. 

He could pass it up once, but what happens then? Maybe the next guy continues enough success to stick around for 10 more years, and then Dabo is 60 years old the next time around. I wouldn't take the job following Nick Saban, but I could see Dabo doing it. 

I expect it will be a Frank Solich-like scenario. Guy will have success for a few years, will slip to 3 loss seasons, their fans will get pissed and fire him.

The timing would be good for Dabo. If CNS retires in 5 years, Dabo would come in in his early 50s, and could plan for a decade long run at Bama.

I think the bigger problem is Bama crossing the chasm as CNS gets close to an obvious retirement. I guess Bama could announce a 10-year contract with CNS, with a lot of public statements about Saban working until he is 75, but with a gentleman's agreement CNS could bail after 5 years, but restrict it to certain windows during certain years and certain events. And find a way to keep that addendum confidential.

On 6/1/2017 at 3:02 PM, Beaker said:

This comes up a couple of times a year at my house.  My son is a student now, so I understand.

My answer:  I predict 1-3 yrs.  I presume the QB situation would be a determining factor for successful coaches waiting it out.  I don't see him staying like Petrino did or hanging on too long like Spurrier.  I happily predict when this QB is gone, Saban goes to TV.

???

He retires when someone starts beating him regularly or he starts losing 3 to 4 a year.. He won't be able to stay on top for ever. I say at least 4 to 5 more years. 

Archived