Question on RB Recruiting

GwillMac6

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I like the Smoke kid out of Wetumpka but not sure we will give him a look.

I'm not aware who he is E.  What's the name of the under rated CB from the Montgomery area?  Tall speedster

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, McLoofus said:

If we have KJ, Miller and Barrett next year, then I agree that we're set. KJ can run between the tackles.

Yes but can he do it & take the punishment enough to where he is effective late in the season between the tackles? Still remains to be seen. He has not been relatively healthy through an entire season since his Soph or Fresh year of high school.

4 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I'm not aware who he is E.

Wetumpka RB is Kavosiey Smoke.

5 minutes ago, corchjay said:

What's the name of the under rated CB from the Montgomery area?  Tall speedster

I'm not sure he is underrated. He not a major AU target, JaKorey Hawkins.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Wetumpka RB is Kavosiey Smoke.

I'm not sure he is underrated. He not a major AU target, JaKorey Hawkins.

Yes that's him.  I haven't seen any film on him just know he's long and fast.  Project type player.  Might excel under coach brown.  Just thinking out loud 

39 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I like the Smoke kid out of Wetumpka but not sure we will give him a look.

@ellitor I just went and watched his film.  Has good feet and vision.  Speed is D-1 but not sure SEC speed.  Probably a 4.80 guy.  Physically looks mature but plays weaker then his build could just be genetically gifted to add muscle but doesn't develop the strength.  Needs to play stronger and break more tackles.  He is willing to block without the ball.  Can catch the ball but gets lost running routes like unsure where he is on the field.  Quality back but not elite.  Definite D-1 material. 

Comparable to Webb.  Has greater size and upside if willing to be a weight room warrior.

19 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yes but can he do it & take the punishment enough to where he is effective late in the season between the tackles? Still remains to be seen. He has not be relatively healthy through an entire season since his Soph or Fresh year of high school.

I thought he stayed healthy his freshman year? I know he wasn't pounding the rock all season, but he was healthy IIRC. 

All our RBs got hurt last year. Pettway got hurt just by running down an open field. It took about 5 minutes for Miller to get hurt.

Kerryon could very well get hurt on his first carry, but that could also happen on his first reception. I don't think it's a reason to remove him from consideration as an every down back or to grab a scrub off the trash heap for poor quality depth. 

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I thought he stayed healthy his freshman year? I know he wasn't pounding the rock all season, but he was healthy IIRC. 

All our RBs got hurt last year. Pettway got hurt just by running down an open field. It took about 5 minutes for Miller to get hurt.

Kerryon could very well get hurt on his first carry, but that could also happen on his first reception. I don't think it's a reason to remove him from consideration as an every down back or to grab a scrub off the trash heap for poor quality depth. 

KJ was also banged up his freshman year but totally agree with that we don't need to add a back just for depth.  Need a high quality back.  I'd love to see what this offense could look like with a Master Teague and Zamir White combo of thunder and lightning. I know I know pipe dream but... 

2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

KJ was also banged up his freshman year but totally agree with that we don't need to add a back just for depth.  Need a high quality back.  I'd love to see what this offense could look like with a Master Teague and Zamir White combo of thunder and lightning. I know I know pipe dream but... 

Give me worm and DP and call it a day. Win win 

2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Give me worm and DP and call it a day. Win win 

Agree.  DP first option Martin #2 as I see it now if not then try to swing another top back or take none at all imo

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

He's had durability issues nearly his entire football career & that fact can't be ignored. Bubba did not have those issues the majority of his playing career. Also I was not talking about getting a "scrub off the trash heap for poor quality depth". I always want quality depth. Lastly I never said nor implied I was removing KJ from consideration. I simply said I don't trust his body to hold up as an every down back over a season based his injury history. If his body can hold up then hell yes I want him toting the rock & prove me wrong but I just don't trust his body to hold up right now. It's not a question of ability to be an every down back but a question of durability to be an every down back.

14 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Agree.  DP first option Martin #2 as I see it now if not then try to swing another top back or take none at all imo

Only if there's not a quality options between the tackles left on the board IMO. As I've said before many backs who are productive between the tackles can do well in our O & it has been proven over the years with guys who aren't elite RBs overall.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

It's not a question of ability to be an every down back but a question of durability to be an every down back.

I definitely get that. I just wouldn't factor it into recruiting decisions if I were Gus. Unless he breaks down in the first half of the season this year and then, yeah, you right me wrong lol. 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Only if there's not a quality options between the tackles left on the board IMO. As I've said before many backs who are productive between the tackles can do well in our O & it has been proven over the years with guys who aren't elite RBs overall.

That's very true. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I definitely get that. I just wouldn't factor it into recruiting decisions if I were Gus. Unless he breaks down in the first half of the season this year and then, yeah, you right me wrong lol.

It's not a me right you wrong thing my friend. Kj's injury history just says his body doesn't hold up to a pounding, specifically his legs. So based off history I would like to have another potential insurance policy for that. Plus I like the thought of getting a productive RB between the tackles in each class much like most teams sign 1 QB per class.

I don't know if we will get the RB we want but it won't be for lack of trying. In years past some of our Posters would complain that we limited the numbers of people we tried to get and if one fell though we were out of luck. That has not been the case this year. We have gone after multiple quality RB's this year.

lol brad basically says what we all are thinking.

On a serious note about RB recruiting I know a lot of people ask why we cannot just print our own ticket when it comes to rb recruiting and be getting these elite 5 star backs like a Zamir White all the time. Well in his interview shortly after he committed he said his favorite player is gurley and that is who he models his game after. We may have really good college rbs who put up good stats but we REALLY need a guy to pop in the NFL and become a star for us to consistently get guys like zamir white or a cam akers.

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

On a serious note about RB recruiting I know a lot of people ask why we cannot just print our own ticket when it comes to rb recruiting and be getting these elite 5 star backs like a Zamir White all the time. Well in his interview shortly after he committed he said his favorite player is gurley and that is who he models his game after. We may have really good college rbs who put up good stats but we REALLY need a guy to pop in the NFL and become a star for us to consistently get guys like zamir white or a cam akers.

Well we had Cam Newton and that hasn't helped us land top flight dual threat QB"s. JMO

17 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

Well we had Cam Newton and that hasn't helped us land top flight dual threat QB"s. JMO

agreed. that is totally on the coaches though. It is all about how your coaches play that card and recruit the fans of said star nfl player. That says more about Auburns failures than anything. Deshaun Watson should of been a Auburn Tiger. Cam is his mentor and favorite player. We botched that one bad. Chad Morris and Dabo worked us good for him. We have totally swung and miss on the cam card so far. Joey G is the first QB I can remember post cam we have got who imo we got because of the Cam factor. HOPEFULLY justin fields is another one and we right some wrongs.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

agreed. that is totally on the coaches though. It is all about how your coaches play that card and recruit the fans of said star nfl player. That says more about Auburns failures than anything. Deshaun Watson should of been a Auburn Tiger. Cam is his mentor and favorite player. We botched that one bad. Chad Morris and Dabo worked us good for him. We have totally swung and miss on the cam card so far. Joey G is the first QB I can remember post cam we have got who imo we got because of the Cam factor. HOPEFULLY justin fields is another one and we right some wrongs.

I certainly hope you are right.

36 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

Give it a couple months. ;)

23 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I still get sick thinking about this

10 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I still get sick thinking about this

Why would it make you sick? He was committed to Clemson before we knew he was a potential recruit. I'm not sure we would have got him if we had got on him around the same time Clemson did.

38 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Why would it make you sick? He was committed to Clemson before we knew he was a potential recruit. I'm not sure we would have got him if we had got on him around the same time Clemson did.

just cause damn it............................................:angry::cry3:

This guy's death was so tragic.  I wanted to see him so bad in our backfield....  I still hurt for his family and the team......   

50 minutes ago, ellitor said:

this was even before clemson really took off. We could of def got him and I think we would of.

Archived