2020 3* PG Mark Sears

cole256

New offer yesterday. Troy university. Let's keep that momentum going, think this may be a wonderful story

• Like 4

@cole256 at the beginning of this thread you said he picked up “a bunch of offers”. This was summer 2018. Were those not committable or something? Has he talked about where he wants to play at all?

They are getting bigger. Sometimes I disrespect the schools not because they aren't big schools but I started playing at them as a child so playing pick up with them was no different than playing anywhere when I was growing up but schools like North Alabama and Alabama a&m.....

I'm sure he's praying and believing for big schools like Duke and North Carolina. I'm sure he would've loved to play for Auburn because of family ties. But moving he may be seeing different stuff. This is EXACTLY what my cousin Lamonte did. Played and tore it up locally. I think the biggest school was Elon or something like that he transferred and went to prep school in Florida and Florida, Florida st, auburn and Tennessee offered him before his season was over. Different people travel different paths

I know we have Sharife but I am one of the people who watched his film and really wanted him also.  Ideally I would like both but one year apart. It does not appear that we will offer so I hope he goes to a great school and tears it up. I wouldn't even mind him playing against us and having a great game as long as we win the game.

• Like 1

• ellitor changed the title to 2020 3* PG Mark Sears

https://www.phenomhoopreport.com/four-takeaways-for-hargrave-after-their-matchup-with-oak-hill/

#3 on this list!!!

Four Takeaways for Hargrave after their Matchup with Oak Hill

by Miles Masercola | Oct 23, 2019 | Blog, Featured, News | 0 comments

Hargrave Military and Oak Hill Academy had their annual exhibition matchup last night at West Wilkes High School. The game was full of firepower with high level prospects on both sides as these two powers prepare for a rigorous season ahead. Let’s take a look at some of the takeaways that Hargrave can take from this matchup.

1. KD Johnson and Ashley “AJ” James are dynamic at the top of the press

When Hargrave gets into their zone press after a make they make it incredibly difficult to gain any ground. If you’re going to get across half court you’re going to have to earn it. KD Johnson and AJ James are both incredibly active at the top making life hell for opposing ball handlers. They went up against KK Robinson, Cam Thomas, and Evan Johnson, three really capable ball handlers and they found a way to force a bevy of turnovers when they got into that set. If they can maintain that intensity throughout the course of their schedule, expect big things from this defensive set for Hargrave this season. 

2. Loaded with creators and shot makers

Along with their defensive prowess AJ James and KD Johnson are versatile offensive weapons. Combine that with uniquely talented wing Corey Walker and talented guards Mark Sears and Bryson Childress, this team has a bevy of guys that can get it going from all three levels. Johnson is essentially unguardable when making outside shots like he did last night. Mark Sears runs the team to a tee and possesses deep range with craftiness around the rim. James and Childress didn’t have great nights shooting the ball, but found a way to create offense, especially James with his slippery nature as a ball handler. Gabe Wiznitzer is a capable outside shooter as well, giving elite wing Corey Walker room to operate in isolation possessions.

3. KD Johnson and Corey Walker get the headlines, but Mark Sears runs this team.

The talk of the town after the game was the way that Mark Sears ran this Hargrave offense. His ability to keep things under control while coming up with timely jumpers was vital to this teams performance against Oak Hill. He currently holds offers from Troy, Elon, Stetson, South Alabama, UAB, and Missouri State. Expect that list to grow considerably for the Alabama native if he continues to play like he did last night.

4. Gabe Wiznitzer and FiFi Quansah are different, but equally important.

The big man duo of Wiznitzer and Quansah bring a different but essential element to this Hargrave team. Wiznitzer showed noticeably improved footwork and fought on both backboards throughout the game. He can shoot the ball from the outside and should continue to build his profile as a prospect throughout the course of the year. Quansah is an elite rim protector that provides an intimidating presence on the defensive end. These two will split time and provide a unique element with their presence on the floor.

I’ll have four storylines for Oak Hill based on the game tomorrow and be sure to keep up with all of the action on phenomhoopreport.com throughout the high school season.

Edited by cole256

3. KD Johnson and Corey Walker get the headlines, but Mark Sears runs this team.

The talk of the town after the game was the way that Mark Sears ran this Hargrave offense. His ability to keep things under control while coming up with timely jumpers was vital to this teams performance against Oak Hill. He currently holds offers from Troy, Elon, Stetson, South Alabama, UAB, and Missouri State. Expect that list to grow considerably for the Alabama native if he continues to play like he did last night.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This past weekend he played on ESPN 3. Had 20 both games, 10 rebounds the second game as well. He went to hargrave and made it his team. He'd start for us this year

17 hours ago, cole256 said:

This past weekend he played on ESPN 3. Had 20 both games, 10 rebounds the second game as well. He went to hargrave and made it his team. He'd start for us this year

You think we could use some consistent guard play on this team??

• 5 months later...

Reclassified to the 2021 class! Also received offers from North Georgia and Ohio university!

• Like 1

Mark is now ranked as a top 25 PG in the nation......I like what's happening every year he's just been moving up, I I'm very much interested and where he'll be by the end of next season. I'm thinking top 10 at least but we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Committed to Ohio university!

I love Athens, OH. It's a small little town in nowhere Ohio but I've been there twice for work and just liked something about it. Maybe it was because I was in a cheap college town with crazy cheap beer on the company card. I hear the kids like to PAR-TY there so tell Mark to keep it between the ditches!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I understand that we were looking for higher rated players but I for one was in the camp to recruit him. Time will tell. I realize we didn't have a scholarship available but we really needed a second PG and only way we could have signed him was to get somebody to leave.  I saw some of the AAU things Cole sent where he matched up very well against much higher rated players.  

I am glad he didn't sign with an SEC team as those players always play with a chip on their shoulder when playing against a team they were interested in but that team did not really recruit them.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Mark is starting right now. He had 10, 2 and 7 and 2 steals. This is great experience and if he's doing this just getting his feet wet we may have something here!

@AuburnNTexas 

@augolf1716

@bigbird

Edited by cole256

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Mark is starting right now. He had 10, 2 and 7 and 2 steals. This is great experience and if he's doing this just getting his feet wet we may have something here!

@AuburnNTexas 

@augolf1716

@bigbird

Wish we had a PG right now...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Wish we had a PG right now...

Mark probably would've came and walked on for a year. I'm sure having 2 uncles that played here he could've gotten some scholarship money for one year

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Mark probably would've came and walked on for a year. I'm sure having 2 uncles that played here he could've gotten some scholarship money for one year

Maybe the transfer Portal and I am only half joking. I was one of the ones who thought we should take a shot at him. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cole256 said:

All these years, in the back of your mind, you knew this young man had a future. And you were right. We had Harper/Mitchell and Harper/McCormick in back to back years with tremendous success. But only McCormick last year, and no Cooper, and no real bonafide backup PG this year. There has to be someone reliable like a Sears, or a juco PG eager to fill that role. Going forward, I hope the coaching staff learn from these 2 years and prioritize the position. Doesn't have to be the leading scorer, but a capable floor general. There are plenty of them out there at smaller schools and jucos. So critical.

• Like 1