2020 3* PG Mark Sears

cole256

On 12/10/2023 at 11:51 AM, cole256 said:

I wish you could meet him bro, you wouldn't believe how humble and just good person he is.  He's actually more quiet and shy type.  He's very strong in his faith, and talks about his relationship with God when he gets the chances to. 

This makes not recruiting him that much tougher of a pill to swallow.  He would have been a perfect fit at our university.   I wish people would have listened to you (for once😀).

It almost hurts me to have to pull for Sears. I have never wanted a UAT player to succeed while there, but I have to want him to do well since I have been hearing about him through cole for years now. @cole256 I cannot imagine how exciting it is for you to watch him progress. FYI, I still want him to lose to Auburn! 🤣

Edited by Grumps

9 minutes ago, Grumps said:

It almost hurts me to have to pull for Sears. I have never wanted a UAT player to succeed while there, but I have to want him to do well since I have been hearing about him through cole for years now. @cole256 I cannot imagine how exciting it is for you to watch him progress. FYI, I still want him to lose to Auburn! 🤣

Come on man…. just because someone on here knows someone that plays (and for Alabama at that) doesn’t mean he needs to play well or win player of the year.   I want Alabama to lose every game and all their players to play like crap.   

• Like 2

Curious if he enjoys playing for a coach that has the emotional maturity of a 5th grader?  He seems to not fit that program at all.  Saw his interview last night on SEC Network and then read the comments from the coach about the reasons things got heated and thought how sad.  

13 minutes ago, casatiger said:

Curious if he enjoys playing for a coach that has the emotional maturity of a 5th grader?  He seems to not fit that program at all.  Saw his interview last night on SEC Network and then read the comments from the coach about the reasons things got heated and thought how sad.  

What happen?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2024 at 7:56 PM, TexasTiger said:

Nah. Overrated.

Lol

On 1/7/2024 at 1:45 PM, Grumps said:

It has been awesome, I wish every kid could know his story. We are all so proud of him. We all understand that having people dislike you or want you to lose is part of the game too. 

The cool thing about it is the reason we are most proud is you won't find a better person that's a college athlete. Not a selfish bone in his body, wears his faith on his sleeve, leads by example. Nothing fake about him. And the cool part is nobody can touch that. Nobody can change or alter his testimony. He could play horrible and there's nothing nobody can do. 

The people that said the stuff about him not being good enough now has to change it and say he's not the best player in the conference😂 That's an amazing accomplishment. 

He actually just uses that for more motivation. I showed him some posts on here of people saying he wasn't good enough. There are plenty who wants him to do bad simply because of me.

Thanks for this post though, and there's nothing wrong with you to want your team win but wish another guy well. 

Don't let any idiots tell you any different. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Lol

Solid player. Would start on any SEC team. Wish we’d signed him. Won’t argue with him being first team SEC if he continues. Not a diss at all. But POY? If we’re being objective, his shooting absolutely collapsed in the post season last year. That’s when the best player shines.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

Solid player. Would start on any SEC team. Wish we’d signed him. Won’t argue with him being first team SEC if he continues. Not a diss at all. But POY? If we’re being objective, his shooting absolutely collapsed in the post season last year. That’s when the best player shines.

Last year was last year so that wouldn't have anything to do with this year. Last year he was playing with a broken finger on his shooting hand, but he was out there so if you are out there you are out there. 

The guys who did all the shooting last year froze up when the pressure came, shooting a bunch of shots wasn't his role at that time.

End of the year aren't the only big games, when you play ranked teams and it's nationally televised those games are big as well and he performed very well in games like against North Carolina when they're ranked number 1, or Arizona or Purdue. Nobody can create a scouting report and say he doesn't play well in big games. That's going as far back as when he played for Ohio as well. 

Lastly scoring is just one part of basketball, especially when you are the point. You can not score 3 points and be the most important guy on the floor when you are a point guard.

One thing I've always told him if you having an off game shooting make sure you are impacting the game in some other way. And he always does that. He's an excellent defender, so I know even if he did have a shooting slump he played great d, rebounded, assisted well, something. And last year he wasn't the best player. 

And when you say poy? Absolutely. This team wasn't supposed to be any good this year. He moved into the role of number 1 so he's the focus of every team and he's not tall or physically supreme. And he's averaging 20 shooting 50% from the field and basically the same from 3 (47%) while constantly facing double teams. 

If he's not in the runnings then nobody deserves to be. Calling him over rated is hilarious though. But I would expect that. He's actually under rated, I wish he had one more year with Miller so he could have showed everything he can do.

This isn't even his game, he doesn't take a bunch of shots normally. He's a point guard who controls the game with tempo and get good shots for everybody. But they told him he needs to score and carry the team so he does what he's asked. 

And if we want to look at his past let's look at it all. He's gotten better every single year, all through out his aau senior run where he out played sharieff cooper, the all American kid that went to Ole Miss, he took the starting from two all Americans they now both start on their new teams so they weren't scrubs. 

The only guy that didn't lose their job to him was a guy who was drafted into the NBA and he was a senior while Mark was a freshman. He was on the all freshman team. He was player of the year in the other conference, he was first team in that conference, he's first team in this conference and in the discussion for player of the year and is carrying his team. He also was named on the all tournament teams for both conferences.  This from a guy who people questioned being a D1 player. 

There's been a bunch of guys over rated on this forum. He's not one of them, he's not even close. 

sear is a great player and i do not hate opposing teams players unless they hurt someone.i think bruce's coaching helped mr sears considerably.

I see a lot of Jalen brunson game in his own. I told him to watch a bunch of film of him and try to learn from his play

On 2/2/2024 at 10:37 AM, cole256 said:

I see a lot of Jalen brunson game in his own. I told him to watch a bunch of film of him and try to learn from his play

Not a bad comparison, esp physically. I think every stocky undersized guard should aspire to be Brunson. He’s that guy 

• 4 weeks later...

ESPN just did a segment on him.... Of course they were trying to make it where he went to a bammer game and he just knew he wanted to play for them but he wouldn't lie and he said that he told himself he would okay for an SEC school.....

The truth is he told himself he would play for Auburn, but it is what it is. Glad his story is being told

Don't matter what people say about you just believe in yourself and work hard. Who knows how far you may go!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Any of you have kids with hoop dreams remember this story. Show them the thread, doesn't matter what people say, it's about what you do. 

From not good enough to play D1 to 2nd team all American. Not bad. From not good enough to maybe just maybe having a shot in the NBA. I love sports. I love the stories. I love watching growth. 

Don't try to play Auburn though lil fella we are a bad match up for your team 😂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2018 at 10:16 PM, cole256 said:

🙄

FB_IMG_1540178125550.jpg

Bruce has aged. 😉 

You were definitely right about Sears, Cole. Big miss for AU. Wish him well— after the Final Four.😉

Sears and Trey Alexander would have looked good in Orange and Blue this year.  

Glad he didn’t come to Auburn even more after that stunt he pulled at the end of the game when the outcome was decided and then had that smarmy smile on his face.   

That play would have been fine in the middle of the game but at that point, it should have gotten the opposing player ejected when he punched Sears.  

• Haha 1

Well done my guy. Not bad. You were a warrior. Greatest season in the schools history. They said your number should be retired and hanging in the rafters. Muscle shoals gave you your day. You have overcome every obstacle in front of you the entire time being told you weren't good enough. 

You will inspire an entire generation behind you. And you did it all while keeping your faith. Couldn't be more proud. Can't think of anybody who deserved it more. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, bigbird said:

@cole256, which way is he leaning? 

Haven't talked to his dad the last few weeks. I'm pretty sure it will depend on how his work outs go. I'm hoping something works out and he gets on at Dallas

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Haven't talked to his dad the last few weeks. I'm pretty sure it will depend on how his work outs go. I'm hoping something works out and he gets on at Dallas

That'd be so cool for you!  I'd definitely drive over when y'all play the Spurs