Chip: We really didn't make adjustments

WFE12

Chip Lindsey: 'We really didn't' make adjustments at halftime

• by Brandon Marcello

ATLANTA — UCF knew when the screen passes were coming, the Knights stunted along the defensive line and negated running plays and they picked up sack after sack.

The first half was abysmal for Auburn in the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl and any player or coach will tell you that. So, what did Auburn do to correct the five sacks, the inability to run the ball consistently and scoring only six points in the first half?

What adjustments did Auburn make at halftime?

“You know, we really didn’t,” offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey said. “We just tried to really, to be honest with you, we didn’t change any plays or anything. We just tried to execute better. The turnovers obviously being the story of the game for us: just like the SEC Championship Game, when you turn the ball over you’re going to struggle scoring points, especially against a good team. They have a really good team, a really good offense. Unfortunately we didn’t get it done.”

Auburn committed three turnovers. Two turnovers led to touchdowns: a pick-six by quarterback Jarrett Stidham and a fumble by Stidham.

“We just didn’t execute,” Stidham said. “That is really what it comes down to. We didn’t really make a whole lot of adjustments at halftime. What we were doing was going to work if we would have just executed the right way.”

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m really just disappointed and don’t feel good about the season. It should never be that way after 10 wins and beating both rivals while they were ranked #1. This article sums it up for me. No adjustments. We were getting taken to the shed, and no adjustments. In the meantime, those rivals are playing for the natty. Unbelievable. 

Sounds like some people needed to see the bench then. Lack of execution is a lack of mental focus. Type of things that drive me crazy and also, why I will continuously give credit to the teams that A). Are always on top  B). Run the tables.

Can get away with it for a game, but seem to have been a continuous problem throughout the season. The first few games, middle of the season (LSU) and now last game.

Now maybe the orange and blue glasses will come off for some of the sheep.  We have been robbed blind.  Gus has taken our lunch money and our girlfriend and is laughing all the way to the bank.  Some of you won't be upset with this

And I don't want to hear anything about meaningless bowl games, Why did tOSU or Wisconsin play so hard? 

We hired a high school coach who sold books on a scheme. 

What do you expect? The scheme is who Malzahn - and anyone who coaches for him - is. If it works, it's the scheme. If it doesn't, it's execution. The idea that a staff prepares and takes away what you're doing is not something a book peddler is going to ever accept. 

I wonder if Lindsey wanted to make adjustments and was told no? That’s an honest question. I/we all know Malzahn isn’t gonna adjust. Why in the world would anybody want to coach for a guy that micro manages? Here again, honest question. 

To hear his makes me sick . This is the difference from good and great teams and just plain bad coaching and good coaching . What the hell chip ? Gus? Damn guys . That’s garbage and you deserve to be kicked in the nuts 

It is what it is. We have to hope that great recruiting will bring in the players we need to win games. We had some super games this season and some lousy games as well. Is the answer firing Gus in a season or 2? Let's hope we can have the kind of season we are all looking for. We came close but oh so far away. UCF is a darn good team that could probably win 9 or so games in the SEC this season. IF this had been an 8-4 team, then we would really be in trouble. Folks, I am just as upset as anyone and am looking for answers.  If we go 6-6 next year and 5-7 thereafter then Gus will go and a lot of $$$ will be paid out.

I do not think this will happen and we will come in around 9-3. We have the players to do this and hopefully we will see some games like MSU, Ole Miss and other big wins in 2017. I am looking for answers that I am sure we will find. Not sure what they will be.

Just SMH. War Eagle and on to Spring Ball and 2018 !!!

When the Oline is just out there like they don’t give a crap and are getting their butts handed to them what adjustments are you going to make to overcome that?  That was one of the most pathetic performances I have ever seen by an Auburn Oline and it all starts up front.  Pitiful.

11 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

When the Oline is just out there like they don’t give a crap and are getting their butts handed to them what adjustments are you going to make to overcome that?  That was one of the most pathetic performances I have ever seen by an Auburn Oline and it all starts up front.  Pitiful.

You bench them. Don’t care if we get our butt kicks. Let guys who are going to give effort and want to at least go 110 percent play. 

The Oline was not motivated to play at all.. I saw Braden Smith get trucked many times along with the every other guy on the line.. I can't for the life of me understand how those seniors were not motivated to play this game. They were horrible the entire game...  Execution and want to obviously stayed in Auburn..

1 minute ago, tdburger said:

Who's ever decision it was to not make any adjustments should be fired immediately for insubordination. 

I understand what you are saying.. but with the Oline play.. exactly what adjustments would have worked?.. you have to block your guy.. something we failed to do all day long.. I do believe the only adjustment that would have worked would have been to bench the entire Oline.. maybe that should have happened. 

I am fine with this. I felt like our loss was 90% due to execution. Some of our losses (LSU) fell on the coaching staff. Yesterday's loss was mostly on the players and I guess the coaches Ina way for  not motivating them better, 

Whatever...Almost as if they didn't want to be there. They just wanted to end the game and go home and eat a bowl of  chilli with some crackers.

So it was execution.  That was the problem. . I have to admit I was wondering.  

Not failure to adjust, but execution.  Like Gallipoli.  Gallipoli wasn't a bad plan, it was just poor execution.  

But now I've got it.  OK.  Yeah.  Execution.  Got it.  I feel so much better.  I thought it might be a coaching issue there for just a second, but only just for a second.  I forgot for a second - only for a second, mind you, that perfect plays always work, no matter what the opposition does, as long as they are executed correctly.  Ha!  But I'm better now.  

And I feel good.

Really, I'm fine.

No. No need to call the Ministry of Love.  I'm fine.  Really.

Repeat after me:  "Gus is a genius."   "Poor execution causes perfect play failure."   "We have always been at war with Eastasia..."

--

Seriously, you guys crack me up.  Gus is delusional and we're talking poor O-line play.  :laugh:  These next will be the longest 7 years of our AU football fandom.  We are soooooo screwed.  I look forward to chuckling at the long litany of the usual excuses we always trot out to rationalize our mediocrity.  Always fun, that.

What's really gonna top off this absurd travesty of a season - the big cherry on top - will be an extended contract for Coach Herb Hand and an obscene raise 'to keep him'!  

We deserve what we get, folks.  We're stupid.

I’d assume chip is smarter than to admit this ... which makes me wonder if it is a “it’s not my fault” statement ... my logic would then point towards gus.

oh yea, and the players slept walked through the game.  No wonder KJ is going pro.  

Gus ran him into the ground this year and he can’t trust the OL every game

Archived